NC State as "Clerks" Game Thread

Home Forums StateFans Football NC State as "Clerks" Game Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 319 total)
  • Author
    MISTA WOLF
    Participant

We got the #1 kicker coming to NC State next season. I $hit you not.

LRM
    Keymaster

Our disaster of a kicking game left — at minimum — 10 points on the field. Two missed FGs, failed fake PAT and failed fake FG. My problem with that: we know the kicking game sucks. Why fake it? Instead of putting the ball in your punter’s (holder) and kicker’s hands, just line up and go for it with Dayes or Samuels.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I think we almost have to hire Art Briles just to have any self-respect in a post-“NCAA gives Holes blanket permission to cheat” world.

FWIW, I understand that we could still have won this game without some individual player errors, but EZU had some of the same. And we just had SO MANY BLATANT coaching WTFs in this one, that it’s inexcusable.

To me, Dave Doeren signed his own pink slip – and set the tone for the game – by kicking a long FG on 4th and inches in Q1. I mean, he KNOWS what our placekicking sitch is, and even if not, it’s a dumb call mathematically (and in terms of momentum).

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Y’all know me, I always love a good firing.

lmao…. don’t we all?

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

I should have clarified: I’m not defending Doeren.

My bad, after a quick re-read you inferred as much in your post I was responding to. Apologies.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Methinks there’s also a little too much Midwestern wood chopping in him. Need a little more hot sauce. for recruits. How many late game teachable moments do you need to figure out how to spike it, throw it to the sticks, or the frigging sideline?

choppack1
    Participant

De looks very Sendekian at this point. and I hate to admit it.

We should be so lucky. Sendek – for all of his faults, moved the program forward.

We still haven’t reached the last season conference win total as our last coach and he’s on his fourth shot.

You have to go back to 1959 to find a winless conference record. You have to go back to 1956 the last time we had 4 consecutive losing conference seasons.

Again, this season is critical and after this performance, 3+5 would be considered successful – but even that would represent historical futility.

I am willing to sit back and wait (like I could fire him anyway) – but I have seen this movie before.

I hope I am wrong. Again, I like DD and I would much rather have him go 4-4 for the next 5 years than hire the likes of Art Briles and go 7-1.

TheCOWDOG

^Ask Finley. There were choices before the Louis throw.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

clarification, Chop…It was Haskins that missed two field goals, not the second year kicker, Bambard….Bambard was one for one…

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

the good thing about us losing is I’m done with football season for the year

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Long season to go. But this is why is always favor firing head men who’ve proven they can build a program, and win, at a smaller school, as opposed to inheriting a winning program or plugged into a successful program as an assistant. Being part of success can convince the stubborn among us that we have the answers. He says a lot of the right things, but he hasn’t shown a lot of the right stuff, to be mediocre, much less compete with the big boys.

choppack1
    Participant

Like wake forest’s current football coach and Cutcliffe.

Look, Yow took a flyer on DD and with a coach with such limited experience, you are basically saying, “we need to give this guy some time to see if he can succeed at this level at this school.”

We are in 2 totally different situations with our coaches. On one hand, we have a basketball coach who has proven he can win at a large school in a power conference, bit hasn’t proven he can succeed and turn the corner. OTOH, we have a football coach who guided a non-p5 school to an Orange Bowl, but hasn’t shown he can build crap.

Both hires were high risk and gut decisions. (Although you could argue that Gott was the best coach we could get period bazed on coaching search.)

My biggest concern at this point is that he won’t get a chance to build what he could here. Win this game and go into Notre Dame game undefeated and you have the kind of electric environment that he needs to get the kind of players he needs.

I forget what beatable team we lost to before we beat Clemson in TOB’s 5th year but I was more po’d because when you don’t make the most of your chances you take away enthusiasm.

And thanks to this game, C-F will be a little less electric than it would have – even if we go into that game 4-1.

choppack1
    Participant

And fyi – both the Louisville and Va Tech game last year fall in same category. He’s blowing his chance to build a successful program.

WolftownVA81
    Participant

I’ll watch but I’m not emotionally invested in this team. As much as I love some of our players. I’m done with this coaching staff.

Adventuroo
    Participant

T’would appear that most posters would agree with the following….

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article101121512.html

However, if Decock is correct, then AD Yow will NOT make the change. She will just sit this dance out….as has our illustrious leader of the free world has been seemingly doing since November, 2012.

We shall see…..we shall see…..

Meanwhile, I found that I am NOW in a basket, with 25% of my fellow North Carolinan’s and have been called Deplorable. Pity that our state has been reduced to that category by some….almost as bad a NCSU FB was today….

As Viper said (re: Top Gun), it is NOT my job to blow sunshine up the (FIB) poster’s rear orifices…..we have to do what is best for ourselves and learn from our experiences (mistakes or victories).

Wonder if DD needs to talk to AD Yow and have the same conversation that Viper and Maverick had….I would pay BIG BUCKS for a ringside seat to that.

Rick
    Keymaster

I attended a funeral and it sounds like I had a less miserable time than the rest of you.
    It appears it takes five years to build a team to beat ECU but only one year to build a team to beat ncsu.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^Sorry to hear of your loss Rick….

perhaps unknowingly you’ve added some context to our Football/sports discussions….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    TheAliasTroll
    Participant

My biggest concern at this point is that he won’t get a chance to build what he could here. Win this game and go into Notre Dame game undefeated and you have the kind of electric environment that he needs to get the kind of players he needs.

But, alas, he lost. Again. Remember, there’s more losers in college football than winners. Just giving him more time for the heck of it isn’t the solution.

I’ll re-iterate.. ECU fired a better coach than DD to hire new blood and beat DD who has better talent. Writing has been on the wall as far as I’m concerned.

TheCOWDOG

And fyi – both the Louisville and Va Tech game last year fall in same category. He’s blowing his chance to build a successful program.

Agreed. Though I say, It looks like.

rthomas44
    Participant

I’m not emotionally invested, I never was. I am just an old grad that follows the pack. However,there is something attractive a about a dumpster fire.

rthomas44
    Participant

I’m not emotionally invested, I never was. I am just an old grad that follows the pack. However,there is something attractive about a dumpster fire.

Rick
    Keymaster

^Sorry to hear of your loss Rick….

perhaps unknowingly you’ve added some context to our Football/sports discussions….

Thanks.
    I am not sure what that means but I am glad I can help 🙂

WolfBlood86
    Participant

Don’t worry guys all will be right in the world when we get back into our comfort zone against an f-ing cupcake!

choppack1
    Participant

Cowdog – that’s 100% correct.

The ship can still be righted. However, in order to get to that .500 Mendoza line in conference play EVERYTHING will have to improve significantly.

McCallum
    Participant

I attended a funeral and it sounds like I had a less miserable time than the rest of you.
    It appears it takes five years to build a team to beat ECU but only one year to build a team to beat ncsu.

That is pretty damn funny.

I’m watching a special on the Black Death and enjoying it much more than most any State sporting event.

Really neat part concerns the wills being written near death, good stuff.

McCallum

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 319 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.