“NC State, a nice start to the season”

Home Forums All StateFansNation “NC State, a nice start to the season”

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

Looking for Dravious Wright’s big hit? In addition to being included In the highlight package below you can click here.
    [See the full post at: “NC State, a nice start to the season”]

packalum44
    Participant

Oh no the sunshine squad will jump all over me. I can’t help myself have to call it like I see it.

Defense: C-

I hope the optimist are correct about our defense. Looked average-ACC at best. Our front 4 had almost no QB pressure all game against the pre-season bottom feeder Sun-Belt team. Scheme excuse aside, they simply have to get better for us to break the 6/7 win barrier. Mario and Co. would have sacked this guy ten times. We had zero except a LB blitz. Zero against Troy. That is BAD.

Our secondary looked average at best (supposed to be our strength). Anomaly or canary in a coal mine? I’ll take the coaches word at face value and say anomaly.

Linebackers…ehh we didn’t really blitz so was hard (for me) to really see their impact. Missed their gaps on long runs but ehh the d-line is partly to blame and the Troy back is faster than our backs save Hines (wish we could have seen him run.)

Offense: B+

I can’t give an A to a team that has huge deficiencies at receiver and O-line. Receivers did NOT get open on their routes…partly defense scheme to prevent big plays…this left Dayes open for Jacoby to dump off to. We knew we sucked here but at least Dayes has nice hands.

O-line….wait we ran for xx yards… True but the O-line did NOT open huge holes and dominate Troy like an above average BCS O-line should. That’s because we have a mediocre O-line. We knew this.

QB: A

JB is awesome. He left the pocket a second early a few times but that’s splitting hairs. He could be better than RW and has NFL potential.

Coaching: A

Hats off to Canada the misdirection plays in backfield is exactly what the Dr. ordered for a team with weak o-line and embarrassment of riches in backfield (though Matt Dayes is overrated ugh.)

tractor57
    Participant

I agree there were some issues on defense not so sure I would downgrade the offense as much as you. It is very hard to get a read on a team after the first game of the season. Even great teams sometimes look like crap in game 1. No not saying this is a great team but I do see it as a step up from this time 1 year ago. I don’t see full sun but I do see breaks in the clouds. The previous coaching staff surely would find a way to stop that but the current staff seems to be a bit better in getting performance.

blpack
    Participant

Got areas to work on, but good for game one. You can’t win them all 70-0. Troy is not terrible and their QB has talent. We played 10 true freshmen. They will need these 4 games to round into shape.

choppack1
    Participant

Going into the game I was under the impression that Troy was decent based on their recent history. However, after the game I did some research and it determined that they were pretty bad last year. They were 3-9 and ranked in the bottom 20% in both offense and defense.

They do have a solid starting qb (who evidently didn’t start until the 2nd half of the season.)

Given those facts – the game was ok. I thought the question mark of ol was answered positively…after this game, I still have concerns with our receivers (who didn’t get much separation from my POV) and our d – which gave up some big plays.

Who knows how good Troy will be and how much we will improve. I also strongly suspect that we had a vanilla game plan (and we will see the same next Saturday.)

Texpack
    Participant

Watched the replay yesterday. Defense needs to eliminate the big plays. A couple of the deep passes were pretty well covered.

They got more pressure on JB than I would have expected.

What position is Samuels playing? Is it RB, TE, FL? That kid is a difference maker.

The last two years we have struggled with the cupcakes. This year we looked much sharper. It says something about DD building a program if we keep this up.

tjfoose1
    Participant

FWIW all, don’t forget this is Neal Brown’s (Troy’s head coach) first year back at Troy. Troy had a pretty stout program when he was their OC about 8 years ago or so.

Not sure what that means, just sharing.

I expect Troy’s QB, who set the NCAA freshman record for completion pct last year (over 70%), will put up big number this year.

Troy also plays Wisconsin and Miss St this year.

tjfoose1
    Participant

FWIW all, don’t forget this is Neal Brown’s (Troy’s head coach) first year back at Troy. Troy had a pretty stout program when he was their OC about 8 years ago or so.

Can I quote myself?

Anyway, I don’t expect Coach Brown will be at Troy very long. Every AD in the country should have him on their list.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

^ You can if you provide the proper citation.

I’m not a football expert, but there appeared to be some very nice blocking by OL and WR alike. Couldn’t say if it was consistent or speak to how well they did overall, but there definitely moments.

By the way, I like the new UNC troll filter at the login page disguised as “prove your humanity.” 0+7? 10+6? That’ll keep them out for sure.

tractor57
    Participant

On the “troll filter” maybe type in 1 would be sufficient for the UNC trolls 🙂

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

With State’s weak OOC schedule, we won’t know much for a while.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

^ No doubt. I think it’s too hard to say they didn’t destroy Team Cupcake quite as much as they should have, therefore, there are issues. A close game or losing would obviously cause concern. I just think it’s too hard to pick at specific things in the context of a beatdown. They could be great or mediocre and still have pretty much the same result.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Troy plays Wisconsin Sept 19. Though the transitive property does not apply to football, it will give us some info.

Wulfpack
    Participant

With State’s weak OOC schedule, we won’t know much for a while.

That’s the way I see it as well. Gotta take care of business, hopefully avoid disaster (and I suspect we will), keep healthy and improve week to week. We’l know a lot more come 10/3 and 10/9.

Greywolf
    Participant

“With State’s weak OOC schedule, we won’t know much for a while.”

For sure we won’t know much about how our reserves play in front of a crowd.

tractor57
    Participant

The schedule is what it is. What the teams does is up to tem.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.