N.C. union votes to accept college athletes as members

Home Forums StateFans Non Sports Talk N.C. union votes to accept college athletes as members

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Wufpacker
    Participant

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/nc-union-votes-accept-college-athletes-members

RALEIGH, N.C. — A North Carolina union for public workers will allow scholarship student-athletes at public universities to join as state employees.

The State Employees Association of North Carolina’s governing board voted Friday to open the group’s membership to athletes at the state’s 17 public campuses, which would include Atlantic Coast Conference members North Carolina and North Carolina State.

[snip]

The North Carolina union’s decision would not require a team vote and is based on an individual athlete’s choice on whether to join. It is unclear if the union’s invitation would be open to just scholarship athletes, or walk-ons — or whether there are NCAA rules preventing the athletes to be classified as state employees. There is no minimum number of athletes needed to join before SEANC can represent them in negotiations.

“What the group has definitively decided is to change our own membership rules to allow them to join,” SEANC spokeswoman Toni Davis said Monday.

“And everything beyond that is really in a planning and development stage.”

NCAA spokeswoman Emily James did not immediately return an email seeking comment Monday evening.

nav
    Participant

Soooo, what does this mean? Anything? Nothing? It’s all over my head.

packplantpath
    Participant

Given the effectiveness of the SEANC, it means nothing. And probably that nobody will join.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Given the effectiveness of the SEANC, it means nothing. And probably that nobody will join.

Yeah, I was gonna say something to that effect. SEANC is known for very little other than picking Quixotic political fights and trying to get in the paper, it seems to me.

StateRed44
    Participant

wrong direction

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.