More on Progress and Improvement

Home Forums StateFans Football More on Progress and Improvement

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Greywolf
    Participant

Has Doeren made progress? He has IF progress is a better W/L record. Progress would have been a 35-31 loss to the Holes and 6-6 W/L record for us. Progress would be a bowl game in Slingsh!t, South Carolina Shreveport. In that context I don’t think Doeren and the Pack is making progress or improving. I suppose we could call it improvement or progress but I don’t think that does justice to what the Pack showed us yesterday. What we saw was way beyond improvement and progress.

I started a thread on ‘improvement’ that a few people read and may understand what I mean by progress and improvement. Progress or improvement is not even on the scale with what we saw Saturday. We’ve seen flashes of our play vs. the Holes previously but what we saw Saturday is NOT ‘progress’ or ‘improvement.’ What we saw Saturday are breakthrough results.

INMSHO Doeren is not seeking to build a “winning” program. He stated when he came here he was building a national championship caliber program. Debbie says top 25 program. Many of us would have died off and never seen us ‘improve’ to either of those levels. I suggest we improve our vision to the level that Doeren and Debbie have theirs.

I’ve told the analogy of an ice skater who was ranked 5th in the world. He went to a top level coach for coaching to ‘improve.’ This coach asked, “Where are you ranked now?” I’m ranked 5th in the world and I want to improve. “Oh, I see. You want to be ranked 4th in the world.” The skater thought and said, “No, I want to be number 1.”

I won’t bore you with the whole story but what it takes to be number 1 requires some failure to reach that level of success. Sometimes it looks like you are moving backwards. We’ve had those days, those Saturdays. The first half at Clemson was one of those days. The second half in our GT game was one of those days. Like the ice skater we’ve had some falls.

Our next breakthrough will be in recruiting and an increase in the quality of athlete we have in our program. Regardless I doubt Doeren will be taking any who don’t have great character. (I will admit I’d like to have 3 or 4 DBs with the speed of the Holes #7.)

Wulfpack
    Participant

It has been a very good year two (especially the past month). I’m very encouraged about the direction we could be heading. I loved DD’s presser. Perfectly timed.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Change the paradigm that defines NC State Football — change the culture that surrounds NC State Football… chicken and egg…

Either way you GOTT to do both…

The good news is that appears to be exactly where we are headed… with Coach Doeren’s leadership…

The best indicator of such, which nobody here has mentioned, was during the post game interview when Coach said, “He (the Head Coach, not the assistants) had received a bunch of text messages from High School football coaches all across North Carolina wishing the Pack success BEFORE ( not after) THE GAME. ”

Cogitate, if you will, on that.. while considering our recent recruiting history…

Then apply your wisdom to your expectations for the future…

Then consider just what Coach Hat really has to offer in response…
    and yes, it’s safe to say Coach Hat showed all his cards yesterday…

Ah … the future is bright indeed!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    pakfanistan
    Participant

I guess I’m just going to be the forever contrarian.

We did what I felt we were capable of at the beginning of the season, and it’s a great data point, but I need at least one more before I draw a trend line.

Having said that, Doeren has seemed ever so right to me since he was hired. Never having spoken with him, he reminds me of some of the better leaders I’ve met. And from his post game comments, he’s a great cultural fit. He nailed what I’ve always thought is the nature of NC State as university. I think we have the best coaching duo in FB and BB since Sheridan and Valvano. The last 20ish years have been too much for me to let my inner chimp of optimism have free reign though.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Change the paradigm that defines NC State Football — change the culture that surrounds NC State Football…

^Based upon the comments to (and about) the fans from yesterday’s presser, it seems he really wants to bring that Big Ten-ish/Mid-western ‘Football is everything!’ mentality to both the fans and his respective team iterations. Not a hard sell to – as he put it – “blue collar” people/fans … “a great cultural fit” as paki put it.

The evolution of his program is going to be really interesting to watch over the next couple of seasons.

freshmanin83
    Participant

It would seem that the Pack did more than the majority of people on this site thought they could. I believe that about 60% did not think that NCSU would make it to a bowl of any kind this year.

Wufpacker
    Participant

^ I’ll happily eat crow.

I thought 5-7 was the likely outcome, and wouldn’t have been displeased with that (well, at least not terribly much, all things considered).

Yesterday exceeded any expectations I had at any point in the season for that game, of course.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

I’ll happily eat crow.

^Me too. The only way I thought eight wins would be remotely possible was if we were to defeat BC and/or GT. We got whipped in both, and after the GT game it was difficult to see anything more positive than a 6-6 finish.

So, so glad to be wrong.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^wufpup76 — I don’t disagree… I don’t know know if I would go quite as far in saying “Football is Everything!”… I’d be happy to stop along the way there at “Football is Damned Important!”…

Either way… there’s two things at work here…
    not in any order…

1. Large Universities by their nature are very diverse communities of students, staff, faculty and alumni. Highly visible, successful sports programs are the only thing, repeat – the only thing, that creates the common bond amongst all that diversity. So success in sports is not ‘good’ for the large university…. it’s damned essential and necessary…

2. Just contrast a “Football is Important” culture with the “football” cultures over in Durham and Chapel Hill… where in the first case, Football will never be much more than ‘decent entertainment’ and in the other over at Wanna-Be U… Football will never (not a typo – never ) be “important” again…. at least not in my lifetime… and consider how much “Fun” we could have with that….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    ancsu87
    Participant

The Wolfpack have had the Tar Heels on their minds since last year when they came to Carter-Finley Stadium and stomped on the N.C. State logo after winning. Thornton said he and his teammates never forgot that, and they also didn’t like how UNC’s guys spray painted Duke’s locker room the other night after beating the Blue Devils.

“Our big thing here was to show them how to win with class,” Thornton said.

Even while N.C. State was manhandling UNC, the Tar Heels kept talking junk, Thornton said.

“Honestly, they never stopped. They never stopped,” Thornton said. “It was more so about us beating them between the whistles than after. Anybody can talk.”

I love the culture DD has instilled!

tractor57
    Participant

I like Coach D’s thinking – national championship worthy team. I also like the tone he has set for that journey. Will there be both ups and downs? Of that I have no doubt but like V Coach D has a dream.

Greywolf
    Participant

I love the comments I’ve been reading. Sounds like we the fans are buying in to the 1Pack1Goal culture as well as the players. Or is it 1Goal1Pack? 😉

I love the culture DD has instilled!

This is so important and cannot be quantified as improvement or progress. We say Jacoby run for 167 yards. That’s not improvement or progress. That’s part of the offense Canada is installing. We couldn’t risk running the quarterback before the last game. What would we do if Jacoby got banged up. We got a taste of the NIU offense Saturday — aggressive, plus 1 offense. Our defense was in sync Saturday. That 5-2=4 we have been installing and training all year may have been played as well as it could be played.

We will graduate some good seniors. Next man up!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.