Minnesota Gophers Football Boycot

Home Forums All StateFansNation Minnesota Gophers Football Boycot

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    choppack1
    Participant

I saw this story this morning – and I thought it was interesting watching the following worlds collide:

1) The PC World of College Campus which in its attempt to be PC eliminates due process.
    2) The regulatory burden of FERPA used / abused by colleges.
    3) Big time college athletics and the benefits / perils of them.
    4) The justice system and how it treats minorities and victims.
    5) The double standard of how sexual assault cases are handled in the media.

It will be interesting to see how this ends. To me, this could have a greater impact than the Wake Forest story if the boycott remains.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/minnesota-players-boycott-football-activities-44232672

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

No arrests were made, no charges were filed and a restraining order put in place by the woman was lifted by a judge after a settlement on Nov. 2.

From chop’s article, it’s not obvious why this matter wasn’t considered closed at this point. But in the aftermath of Baylor incidents, the school probably felt that it had to do something. I’m sure that the response by the FB team was completely unexpected.

But this week, the school’s Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action recommended suspending those four players and six others, saying they violated school conduct standards.

I wish the article had detailed exactly what “school conduct standards” were violated.

Ray Buford Jr., KiAnte Hardin, Dior Johnson, Tamarion Johnson and Djam were also recommended for expulsion.

Someone thought that something was seriously wrong. We just aren’t given enough details to draw our own conclusion.

13OT
    Participant

Guilty until proven innocent.

McCallum
    Participant

The usual suspects………Lutherans.

McCallum

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^#Bomani …

Let’s look at the Adults standing quietly behind the Kids…
    There’s the real story.

Otherwise, none of this makes any sense.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Adventuroo
    Participant

Reminds me of some of the “shenanigans” that went on in my neighborhood when I was on Horne Street (where the post office was/is). We had a large parking lot for our building. But, the apartment building next door was a bit tight. There was a young lady who had some friends and THEY ENTERTAINED the FB team. SOME here may have participated….so I am NOT casting stones.

On Saturday nights, the lady’s would invite a few (sometimes the first string O & D) guys over for some “formations”. I had a friend on the team and it was widely known. SO, this is not some dug up internet tale.

Orgies and multiple partners existed in the 60’s….and they will probably exist 50 years from now. There was a little alcohol, per my buddy, but it was NOT a drunken bash (clash)….the ladies ENJOYED the attention and they craved multiple partners….to satisfy their libido.

NOW, did this happen in Minnesota? Who KNOWS….the stories that each news source has seem to indicate that it was more consensual….right up to the point where the alcohol started to wear off or maybe some of the “Thrills were GONE”.

The libs thought it was WONDERFUL when Mizzou TOOK A STAND against whatever….along racial lines. NOW, the FB lads feel like the Duke LAX team. That is probably NOT a fair comparison as there was no “acts” at Duke. BUT, this started off with some “permissions” and it got a little carried away.

The fact that there is video corroborates two things…..Consent….and Debauchery. I wonder if the video was only kept on ONE phone….RIGHT. That probably touched off the fire storm.

U of MN has a real issue. Having worked for a couple of years, on a casual basis, in MN, I can tell you that the boys (MEN) are outdoors types and very MACHO. They will go off to the BIG WOODS to hunt every fall or ice fish (did NOT say they were smart). On the first day of hunting season or the night before….the bars of most of the little towns and villages are packed with wives and girl friends….wanting THEIR night out.

I can NOT speak from personal experience, but my younger traveling partners were usually “rewarded” and sometimes not too coherent the next morning.

This will be an interesting playout…..or perhaps NOT playing….

McCallum
    Participant

^

I doubt the “Lutherans” in question care much for the outdoors, hunting or ice fishing. Those low humidity winters can require a good amount of Jergins to deal with getting ashy and I ain’t just talking about the time near Lent.

McCallum

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Money $$$ moves quietly behind the scenes…
    Story over.

Minnesota ends boycott, will prepare to play in Holiday Bowl

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    TheAliasTroll
    Participant

I don’t know the story or have a lean one way or the other.

That being said, I don’t know about the rest of you guys, but I sure as sh!t won’t miss a Gopher’s college football bowl game.

It wasn’t much of a statement.

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

Boycott didn’t last long once the investigation report was made public. Pretty disturbing stuff in there. Man, I’m glad I don’t have daughters.

choppack1
    Participant

Agreed Daniel Day – I wonder if the coach is still never prouder of his team. I wonder if team will issue a statement saying “uh, this wasn’t cool. This could have been our sister, mother, girlfriend or whatever…”

I have never understood the appeal of multiple guys “training” even if consent is clear. Not my idea of fun. OTOH – just me and several attractive and in shape females – I found very appealing.

Adventuroo
    Participant

This discussion is interesting. I recall a similar case at FSU involving J. Winston. I THINK that the “victim” filed suit against him and don’t know if that was ever settled. It may well be, now that he is a BT player, one of the MOST expensive encounters since Paul McCartney had to settle with Linda. Someone figured that if they had relations 2X per night for every night they were legally wed, that he paid about $100K per climax…..

Will be interesting to see if the victim in MN files a suit against SOMEONE….

She may have had Buyer’s Remorse in that she was BUYING whatever they were SELLING….but that does have limits.

The team looks rather “limpid”. They did NOT get any demands and only brought noterity to the school and further inflamed a delicate situation. In the end, I THINK that $$ overruled and their “confidential” meeting discussed the schollys and that a boycott was a “breach of contract”. NO ONE WANTED TO FORFEIT THE BOWL $$’s.

If I were UNC, I would be suing Stanford in that McCaffery’s “Don’t hurt me….it might mess up my pro chances” stunt WILL cost ticket revenue. UNC and the ACC’s take will be LESS. If you are healthy and have NO issues, then ducking out of a game to keep your body healthy is a BAD example. He seems like the current crowd of Sore Losers (or in this a Sore Winner) and really is all about himself….than team.

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

The tweet was a stance I expect will cost the coach his job. Undermining the administration’s position without knowing the details of the event was not smart (I can only assume the coach didn’t know the details of the report since the players admitted they didn’t know the details when they announced the boycott).

I try not to impose my morality on others, but I’m right there with you chop. Don’t see anything appealing about a sausage party.

Regarding Fornett and McCaffrey, I don’t like it but I understand. I give running backs more leeway than say a QB or lineman since the probability of a devastating injury for a RB is so much higher than other positions. But my opinion only matters to me; I’d really love the hear CD’s take on that.

McCallum
    Participant

Did any of you read the reports?

Sounds like a naive young lass, white no doubt(yeah it does), who got a bit loaded and then had sex and group sex with a bunch of black football players(yeah it does).

There is not much detail about her trying to get away, rejecting advances etc. She initiated much of the contact and appears to have regrets about getting hammered(in more ways than one).

McCallum

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.