Home › Forums › StateFans Basketball › Miami Game Thread – 1-21-18
- This topic has 83 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 5 years, 2 months ago by Rick.
01/22/2018 at 7:50 AM #129250PackofMacParticipant
I’m reading a box score that must be by the half. Abu played 8 minutes and fouled out with zeros across every category. It is hard to tell on tv, is he still injured?
You were expecting Abu to contribute?01/22/2018 at 9:54 AM #129251ryebreadParticipant
Excessive dribbling was a problem..
Miami Rained successful 3’s…
A Freeman didn’t start, wasn’t fazed by it and still chunked up the shots….
M. Johnson had a tough day all around..
Y7 is becoming a
factorstud…wish we had him another year!
Amazing we were even in contention in the last minute of the game!! Miami always seems to eat our cookies!!
Good post by Zingo. I’d add a few things:
– The team looks better playing four around one with Yurt and Nard as the “One” and Dorn playing the four. I know some of our fans are hard on Dorn, but he gives us much more night in and night out than Abu does at this point. Granted, Abu picked up two quick fouls last night and was really out of the flow of the game.
– We managed to “hurry up” Miami. They do like to score more this year than in many years past, but during our first half run we pushed them into a slightly manic state. I think that’s the type of thing we’re looking to do night in and night out against most teams.
– Larranaga is a good coach. They won on the road despite some adversity. Miami plays great half court defense.
– Our 3 point and help defense is what we seemingly need to focus on the most.01/22/2018 at 10:19 AM #129252Pack1997Participant
Freeman is the biggest issue right now. When he gets the ball his first instinct is to put his head down and drive it regardless of the defense in front of him. It his clear he is trying to showcase his talent level for the next level (Europe). But he such a better players when he plays within the flow of the game instead of forcing the issue. They should make him listen to the commentators the last few games. They clearly see the issue which means scouts easily do. At this point I dont think he is listening to the coaches, so maybe having hear it from unbiased folks would make him see the light. I doubt it, but worth a shot.01/22/2018 at 10:20 AM #12925344rulesParticipant
Yep, 3 point and help defense would have helped. So would better shooting. Without Yurt, I don’t think we score 60 – we just don’t have reliable outside shooting, outside of maybe Beverly.
But honestly, if we turn them over more than we give it up, we win. I think that’s the key to a Keatts’ team – when they force more TOs they win, when they toss it away (Markell had a tough time against Miami), we’re not offensively efficient enough to make up for it.
Scoring 80 against this defense? I consider that a win.
Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong01/22/2018 at 11:00 AM #129262
Defense looked rough.
Miami was getting layups or open threes with simple ball movement.01/22/2018 at 11:06 AM #129263
I do see improvement though.
We are doing better than I thought we will at this point.01/22/2018 at 8:12 PM #129268rjgearyParticipant
What I did not understand — AFTER the blown TO call — is why State didn’t start fouling immediately to get Miami shooting 1-and-1’s with, what, 35 seconds left? We had a foul to give, after which the next three fouls would have been high-anxiety for a Miami team not known for good free-throw shooting.
Instead, we let them hold the ball and run their offense, and guess what? They scored on a dunk, which was hardly a surprise the way they’d been carving us up inside.
My thought is that KK was so mad about the TO call that he stormed off in the wrong direction, lost his focus and forgot what the time and foul situation was. Fouling was textbook in that situation.
Had we fouled, Jimmy V style, we’d have had 3 more possessions at least. Instead, after the dunk, we had one.01/23/2018 at 7:58 AM #12927244rulesParticipant
Yeah, I agree. Should have hacked them.
Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong01/24/2018 at 2:11 PM #129282
We were down three. If we got a stop we had a chance to win. At least that’s the theory. The problem is we couldn’t stop them and we can’t shoot threes well.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.