March Madness — The Rest of the Field…

Home Forums StateFans Basketball March Madness — The Rest of the Field…

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 143 total)
  • Author
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

NOLES Win!!!

another #1 drops out against a #9

4 ‘upsets’ today plus a #5 blowing out a #4…
    SO…

we have the NOLES and the OTHER Wolfpack on one side and Clempsom, ‘Cuse and Dook on the other side in the Sweet 16…

somehow that doesn’t quite seem right but…
    this is the year of Stranger Things…

that means the ACC only gets one team in the Final Four… at best….

POP!!!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    redwolf87
    Participant

If there’s a legitimate bracket that has a chance left…
    I want to know HOW? that sob did it???

Vodka.

redwolf87
    Participant

All of us (well, most of us) have spoken in the past of NC State S***.

As bad as it got, I’m not sure it was ever as bad as Cincinnati S***.

That’s some serious S***.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^I refuse to talk about NCSSh#t because even if it was for real, which it’s not, Honor requires silence….
    Take your licks and get up fighting was the rule, back in the day…

and not a bag rule either….

More to the point….
    Sh$t happens and no… it’s not fair….

JUst find a fan from…

UVA
    Zavier
    UN*
    and a few other places…

POP!!!

Wulfpack
    Participant

Leonard Hamilton sounds off:

“I think what you see happening in college basketball, it’s almost like a revolution,” he said. “What happens is, you start categorizing people by the reputation that their players get going into college. But in reality, kids are playing basketball all over the country and teams are getting better. Just because maybe they might not be in one particular conference or maybe they’re not considered to be one of the more traditional rich schools, people are playing basketball.”

He added: “See, sometimes the team that’s the most talented might not necessarily win the game. It’s the team that’s playing well at that particular time.”

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22828649/xavier-musketeers-become-second-no-1-seed-fall-opening-weekend-losing-florida-state-seminoles

Wulfpack
    Participant

that means the ACC only gets one team in the Final Four… at best….

Correct. Sucks that’s the way it all lines up.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^we’ll see…

Equal Opportunity for that number to be 2, 1 or 0

7 out of 16 #1-#4 Seeds survived this weekend…

GO PACK!

choppack1
    Participant

Yes. But it definitely happens to some schools more than others

UVa who was known before for perhaps the biggest regular season upset in college basketball (Chaminade when Ralph was there) is now known for the greatest post season upset in college basketball history.

We lost double digit leads to Vandy and SLU to advance in the tournament.

Arizona has choked in the tournament under Miller.

ryebread
    Participant

I think it is more that some coaches and stiles of play just translate better to the tournament. Take Syracuse with that 2-3. It is a little bit different and they always have personnel that match up to it. Year in and year out they seem to advance further I. The NCAAs than their “talent” on paper suggests they should. There’s no way a couple of their teams that made deep runs should have gone that far, but they did.

With UVA, when they get an unfriendly whistle paired with a hot shooting team from the three, they are out. Their plan to take the air out of the ball back fires because it lets a team of lesser talent hang with them better in a game where their opponent is really up for that one game.

Before he got to UNC and could amass the talent than only cheating the way they do allows for (could not even cheat enough at Kansas), they were known for early outs. I routinely made a “living” at brackets picking them as out after the first or second round. Roy’s not a good in game coach. When plan A isn’t working, he is very slow to adjust (if he notices at all). In league play, that is where “tendencies” save him, but that doesn’t always happen in the big tournament. Thank you TAMU!

The tournament is a differ animal. That’s why it is so much fun.

choppack1
    Participant

Rye – Syracuse never has a lack of talent – and their pace can be very deliberate as well. Unlike UVa – they will push it, but they are very adept at the slow down game. At one time, boeheim had that monkey on his back. Now his teams play with a swagger in the big dance because they believe they can beat anyone. (You may want to contrast this with some of his stronger recent teams that fell apart.)

As for Roy – all he did at Kansas was go to multiple final fours. The man can coach. He has 3 national championships at unc-ch and may end up with more.

Personally, I think UVa gets over the hump in the next 2 or 3 years. This year they overachieved big time until the tournament. And I think that the injury made them feel sorry for themselves – and self pity gets you nowhere.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

When the program, the Coach and the players are 110% into their established “Playbook”, with a given amount of upper class ‘talent’ and leadership, they are going to successful. by any measure, during the regular season….

The problem ALL those Programs have ALWAYS had was after they arrove at the Dance, they really didn’t understand that they needed to step it up AND open it up a notch or three…. especially when they played the random team early in the tournament that on that night was playing hot, hard and honestly way above themselves, especially if that was in a way that’s the polar opposite of the System’s strength…. (e.g. run and gun v. stall ball)

Those games become battles of will, not of system or strategy, for the Coach and the players … and enforcing your will on the other team often requires beating the other guys at their game, NOT making them play your game…

“Trust the System, not your emotions” works well over the long term when you playing for the percentages…. but on any given night, in a Survive and Advance game, is a razor-sharp, double edged, sword for both System Coaches and players… in similar ways to “slow money” v. “fast money”…

There’s an irrefutable conflict when whatever “Doing What It Takes to Win” on those nights is not in your playbook or not fully endorsed by your Coach….

First you learn the rules, then you learn how and when to break them correctly….

POP!!!

Wulfpack
    Participant

NIT Update:

Louisville advances to the quarters against Miss State.

Notre Dame bows out with a loss to Penn State.

44rules
    Participant

STill pulling for the Wolf Pack!

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

OK…

Is the general consensus here and abouts… that the Shadow Pack is going with the Nevada WolfPack all the way until they play an ACC Team not known locally as the HOLES, and in some cases, further ???

The Dance resumes at 7:07pm tonite…

POP!!!

Wulfpack
    Participant

Wolf Pack. And yes!

TheCOWDOG

Oh hellno!

Go Loyola of the Great Lakes!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Oh hellno! Loyola of the Great Lakes!

OK… each to his own opinion….

Looks like the Shadow Pack has inflicted Nevada with 7 minutes of FUGLY…
    Maybe Coach can exorcise that in the locker room at the half…

… and fwiw… ShadowPack has got A&M over Michigan too…

POP!!!

Wulfpack
    Participant

Ramblers! Good golly I hope they beat UK.

Mike
    Participant

Luckey K-State…………get this. At the half KState 33 Kentucky 29. All is normal, right?

Kentucky is 6-23 from the field, yes only 6 made FG’s. Kentucky is 16-23 from the line! Kansas St has 16 team fouls, Kentucky has 10 team fouls. KState has 3 players with 3 fouls and 2 more with 2.

Dont know who else is with Luckey but why is it that guy always seems to be involved in games like this? Never mind, I know.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

OK…

0 for 2 in the openers…

If the two land grant schools can hold on to their halftime leads…
    I’ll breakeven tonight…

POP!!!

Wulfpack
    Participant

Please raise your hand if you had Loyola Chicago, Kansas State, and Florida State in the Elite 8. Oh my, what a tourney.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Well… Kentucky’s gone – which disappoints no one but Kentucky fans.
    And the NOLES continue to play hot….

Let’s hope Clempsom shows up with their best tonight…

GO PACK!

Texpack
    Participant

Well… Kentucky’s gone – which disappoints no one but Kentucky fans.
    And the NOLES continue to play hot….

Let’s hope Clempsom shows up with their best tonight…

GO PACK!

Coach Case rejoices today after the Wildcats go down

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Tiggers hanging with Kansas after 10 minutes, down a basket…

AND the LADY WOLFPACK is on the court, as we speak, against Mississippi State – a #1 seed…

GO LADY WOLFPACK!

Wulfpack
    Participant

Not looking too good for Clemson.

But getting two out of eight ain’t bad.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 143 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.