Lutz Leading Candidate at App State

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Lutz Leading Candidate at App State

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

Seems I called this just a few weeks ago:

Bobby Lutz, associate head basketball coach at N.C. State and a Charlotte 49ers’ former coach , has emerged as the leading candidate to become Appalachian State’s next coach, the Observer has learned.

Lutz has been in discussions with Appalachian State about its vacancy the past several days, sources said. The school fired Jason Capel after four seasons and a 53-70 record.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/03/26/4796774/appalachian-state-bobby-lutz.html#.UzNju-29LCQ#storylink=cpy

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Good hire for them, obviously, if it comes to fruition.

Tough loss for us.

Gowolves
    Participant

Not so sure it’s a tough loss for us based on our defensive performances this year. Isn’t he the defensive guru on this staff? I am a fan of Lutz but I don’t think he is doing a good job on the defensive end.

TheCOWDOG

When the core make-up of a team is not physically equipped to play monster man to man…what do ya do in a man oriented system?

If Lutz instructed the various zones used this year, I congratulate him.

If he was given the keys as to when to employ in game, well…he was late to do so in several.

Personally, I don’t think he was given a spare key at all. State was a better team in zones this year.

Gowolves
    Participant

CD, all good points but that doesn’t explain the lack of defense since he has been there unless you think MG has had the keys the whole time? I mean why hire a guy who is supposed to be a defensive guru but never let him have a say so on how its implemented or taught? Still there are times when the we cannot cover screens correctly drives me nuts. The inconsistency is maddening. I think it comes down to the desire to play defense and we always seem to have two or three players on the court at any given time that do not or did not have that.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Never really understood how Lutz got the reputation of being a “defensive guru.” His teams at UNC-C, or Charlotte, or whatever they call themselves weren’t really stifling on that end. Very similar to Gottfried’s underwhelming defensive teams at Bama’. As far as zone or man go, we weren’t significantly better in either one this year. There were combinations, of course, who were better equipped for zone than man, but there were also combinations capable of decent man-to-man. Keys or no keys, lineup and foul trouble, imo, more than game planning against opposing offenses, dictated what we played and when we played it. The only zone I liked all year was the 3-2 against UNC, which stuck with too long. Not that our man D was any better, but the zones were incredibly inactive and porous. It’s a testament to how bad offenses are and shooters are that they worked at all.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.