Lou Holtz "Retires"

Home Forums StateFans Football Lou Holtz "Retires"

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Lou Holtz is no longer an ESPN college football analyst after the two sides recently agreed to part ways, according to a report from Richard Deitsch of Sports Illustrated. Deitsch reported Holtz leaving ESPN “was closer to a mutual agreement between the parties than Holtz getting forced out.”

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/4/12/8396737/lou-holtz-leaving-espn-college-mark-may-college-football

Wufpacker
    Participant

“was closer to a mutual agreement between the parties than Holtz getting forced out.”

That’s a very interesting description…

ncsu1987
    Participant

^Agreed. When you have to spell it out for people, you’re doing it for a reason…

I will miss the old man. He wasn’t perfect for TV, didn’t have the “look” that they like, and he had his slight impediment. But that aspect has always been overblown. I can’t remember a single time listening to him when I didn’t understand every word he said. Bill Walton is almost certifiably crazy, and Bob Knight’s an ass – but I’ll take either of them any day on the basis of their knowledge of the game alone. I like my analysts to know more than me, so that they can teach me something during the game. I guess I have a highly acquired taste for the knowledgable eccentrics…

Like all of us, Lou isn’t perfect. I will miss the viewpoint and color provided by a man who knows more about football than almost anybody. I hope he lands somewhere where he can have some fun. Wherever it is, they’ll be lucky to have him. Good luck to Coach.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

He did fine, to me. They did well playing him and Mark May off of each other on College GameDay Final. Of course, Reece Davis will no longer be there to stir that drink, so they may have been looking to go in a whole new direction as the shtick would be different.

The Notre Dame stuff got old, and like ncsu1987 I value knowledge and objectivity over any sort of ‘tv’ gimmick. They probably should have just let him talk about the games rather than attempting to play up his personality.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

I’m with both of you about analysts. Gimme substance over style any day.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Bob Knight is out too. He announced it during the NIT final.

highstick
    Participant

Beats the heck out of listening to a Mike Leach and a ton of others out there…I’m convinced the sports programs are catering to the “Young and Dumb” versus the “Older and Wiser”. But, that’s just the way it is now!

Wish someone would put a sock in Verne’s mouth! What a tool! He could be worse than Vitale. His only redeeming factor is that he doesn’t “flap his arms”…

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

Texpack
    Participant

When you’re at Norm Sloan Basketball Camp and you have Lou Holtz doing magic tricks for you and the rest of the campers it’s a good day. I’ve always loved watching Lou on ESPN. I will miss him a lot this Fall.

TheCOWDOG

I’d be lyin’ if I didn’t say that this is a personal loss.

It was cool having Lou in the livingroom during football season, all these years.

Right or wrong, it always chapped my ass to hear, or see a moron attempt to be clever by mocking him. Most times, I just shake my head, other times, I tell ’em they haven’t earned the right. Then I give ’em my best Lou impersonation. 😉

ncsu_kappa
    Participant

I’ve always liked Lou because he brought this calm swagger that was legitimized by his past accomplishments. Very unlike journalists like Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith would argue that their expertise is more relevant because they’ve written about it for longer. That always annoys me when a person with no expertise can legitimately undermine, question, and critique an expert on TV as if their opinion is equally as valid.

Even for a bonehead move like having RW pass the ball on the one with Beastmode, I’d rather hear Bill Cowher opine about the lunacy then a Stephen A or Skip. That being said Lou falls in the boat of Bill Cowher as someone whose commentary I really respected.

However, I always felt that for his quality of life he should retire and enjoy his family and let his family enjoy him. Lou is the man and I only wish he chose to go out on his own terms versus the “mutual agreement”.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Liked Lou, at times, but his act was wearing a little thin. Really got tired of all the Notre Dame homerism.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.