Let's talk Donald Sterling

Home Forums All StateFansNation Let's talk Donald Sterling

Viewing 13 posts - 76 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

I don’t think you have to be PC to think Donald Sterling is a racist POS.

The nice thing about him is he’s out in the open about it. He doesn’t hide it behind coded language.

So are you trying to imply anything?

I think he’s saying Politicians are POS. 🙂

pakfanistan
    Participant

I think he’s saying Politicians are POS.

Troof.

StateRed44
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Wulfpack wrote:</div>
    If other owners are stupid enough now to spew hate as Sterling did, even in private (again, the courts have held nothing uou say to another person is truly private), then they will get what the deserve as well. Something tells me it won’t happen.

This is what scares me about this event. Who defines what is considered “hatred”? I just have an inherent problem with trying to punish thoughts and words no matter how much I might disagree with them. That is a very scary road to go down.

There seems to be a movement to label people who disagree with the PC movement as “hate”. The first step to controlling people is to control their speech.

Thank you Rick. This is 100% truth. I feel like we’re heading this route wrt special “rights”.

Freedom of association and dissassociation should be protected imo. This is why I have always supported the Masters from being able to have a club in which they associate with who they want to associate with. If I have a party or club I should be able to invite my guest list, not the government’s.

I was glad to see the Supreme Court ruling on prayer before town hall meetings though. At least that was protected.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Freedom of association and dissassociation should be protected imo.

That seems to be what’s going on here. A private organization is choosing to disassociate itself from a person who is offensive to a large portion of it’s employees and fan base.

Wulfpack
    Participant

That is a very scary road to go down.

Look in the rear view mirror, my friend. We’re well down that road.

But I maintain that this greater discussion is misplaced. Silver did what most of would. He’s a business man. And he only did what is best for his business.

StateRed44
    Participant

Yes, I agree. I’ve kind of moved beyond Sterling and into politics which is why I quit posting in this thread about a week ago. I’ve been reading and Rick sucked me back in. -mea culpa.

Quick question. I did type a post last week that referenced the names of political parties in it. Is that the reason it never posted? I’m assuming it is verboten?

pakfanistan
    Participant

Silver did what most of would. He’s a business man. And he only did what is best for his business.

I almost think the only reason they took action this time is because of the insult to Magic Johnson, and because it dredged up his history of racism. At that point the NBA looked very forgiving of Sterling’s views. They had to take extreme measures to try to curtail that narrative.

StateRed44
    Participant

Quick question. I did type a post last week that referenced the names of political parties in it. Is that the reason it never posted? I’m assuming it is verboten?

*crickets*

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

I regularly listen to Tony Kornheiser’s pod cast. Last week he had Abbe Lowell on to discuss the legal issues regarding the Sterling situation. If you don’t know who Abbe Lowell is, feel free to look him up; he is a highly respected DC attorney and legal expert. Below is a link to the podcast interview (the link will likely send you to the April 30th show, but the Lowell interview is the first segment of the second hour of the May 1st show); excellent analysis from a legal viewpoint. They also (briefly) talk about the legal implications of the Northwestern players unionizing.

http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=65&c=580&f=2741703

Rick
    Keymaster

*crickets*

If it was insuling someone may have deleted it but there is no hard and fast rule.

YogiNC
    Participant

For an interesting different slant check out Agent Pierce:

http://www.agentpiercesaid.com/Home/May-2014/America-s-Newest-Sports-is-________-!.aspx

Smarter than the average bear

Pack Mentality
    Participant

If your wife has a $1.8 MM lawsuit against a very young gold digger you really are completely oblivious to the ways of the world if you still try to screw her. You had it coming. Yes, the privacy thing is terrible that it was recorded…but she was the defendant of a lawsuit. This is the kind of thing that happens when you spew racist comments to the half black woman who is 50 years younger than you that your wife is suing for $1.8 MM.

The NBA has to get rid of him because he is bad for business. They didn’t record it. It went public, and they can react on the reality that he is hurting business.

Whoever recorded it and released it should probably watch their back though. This is the type of thing that may not be dealt with in court.

StateRed44
    Participant

No wulfpack, not what I was saying. I am referencing certain Democratic senators who refer to people who have different political viewpoints of the current ruling party as being “racist”. This results in an inability to speak freely. There is a real danger here that goes beyond race relations or political opposition. It is a slippery slope when combined with the surveillance state in which we now live as documented by Ed Snowden.

I also disagree with your interpretation of “why we are still fighting this”. I am not fighting anything. The grievance industry exists because of continued economic inequality. Basically envy by another name. If there was economic equality, there could be no grievance industry. Studies have shown the biggest factor in economic inequality are teen parents and lack of a 2 parent household. There problem solved. But then that would be bad for the grievance industry, wouldn’t it?

Viewing 13 posts - 76 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.