Let’s Break it Down

Home Forums All StateFansNation Let’s Break it Down

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    wufpup76
    Keymaster

Greetings from snowy and wet Apex, NC. I would have published this a bit earlier, but I was one of the unfortunate ones to lose power while the snow/r
    [See the full post at: Let’s Break it Down]

Wufpacker
    Participant

Very nicely done WP76. I enjoyed reading this a great deal.
    But full disclosure…I enjoy reading anything that is about us punking the heels.

– Try not to laugh too hard at me, but a key sequence to me was the very opening of the game. We’ve all seen various past State teams get completely blitzed and overwhelmed at the tip of games on Cheater Hill – or at the very least the tone of which team would likely win the game was set that early. Not this time, not this team. For the first two minutes of this game, it looked like it could head down a familiar path: Cheats won the tip, hit a jumper. State wouldn’t score until the 17:52 mark, and in those two minutes suffered two missed shots, two blocked shots, and a turnover. What didn’t happen though is the Cheats getting out to a quick 6-0 or 8-0 lead and a collective ‘oh ****’ feeling setting in. Instead, State responded with the poise and composure it would display all night and then go about its ass-kicking business.

I will not laugh at you, sir. With the possible exceptions of the end of the first half and putting a stop (finally) to their 12-0 run, I think the first four minutes were the most important for us.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Oh, and speaking of breakdowns, this…
    (special thanks to BJD for allowing me to record his post-game celebrations 😀 )

PapaJohn
    Participant

Great write up and I LOVE THAT PICTURE. Kind of glad it came a day after the rest, gave us another fun article to read about the game of the year. (so far)

Just saw an article on SI listing the Pack as the 29th best defensive team in the country. Unbelievable! After the WF mess, I (for one) thought the season looked bleak. Now, two weeks later, we’re feeling pretty good about being in the NCAAT and getting identified as being a good defensive team.

Crazy! The Pack roller coaster in action.

SaccoV
    Participant

Speaking of Tokoto v. Lacey. The other white official (not recalling the name, but not Brian Dorsey) admonished Lacey on THREE separate occasions during the game. During the 2nd of these (I believe it was the first admonition of the 2nd half), I clearly read the official’s lips who said “Don’t get into trouble.” I never once saw an official talk to Tokoto; Lacey got the talkin’-to THREE times. I was still impressively shocked that the foul situation was as even throughout the game (even though it still favored the Asterisk). Great post-elation write-up!

Gowolves
    Participant

A couple of thoughts…

Hate to toot my own horn but Beej and I think were the only ones that thought this team could be good defensively. This team was too long and athletic to not be better this year. Do I expect this to last to future seasons… No. This team can play good defense when it wants to.

Even though Cat played great and has been for the last 5 games or so he almost reverted back to his old habits during that run by UNC. He was forcing a lot of the offense and not running the offense. He finally realized that was not working and stopped.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Because I think you’re an author that can handle it, here’s an editorial nitpick. “for a myriad of reasons” should be, “for myriad reasons.”

I’ll comment on the substance of the article when I finish it. But nice work so far.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

Nice breakdown of the beatdown.
    I was really glad he used the timeouts the way he did when they were starting to close the gap. I hate watching a coach wait until the other team has scored 10 points before deciding to call a timeout. On one of those, he called a timeout after just one basket I think.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

“for a myriad of reasons” should be, “for myriad reasons.”

I appreciate the feedback – I hate making grammatical / prose errors. I will edit. Thanks again.

Since74
    Participant

Some nuances that I thought exhibited the sheer poise and focus throughout the game:

I noticed Hodge’s tweet in the margin about Dez’s drive and completed free throws, and agree wholeheartedly. Haven’t seen it mentioned but one time Dez was falling out of bounds, saving the ball, he had total body control and rather than just fling it back in bounds he found no one to pass to so just went out. That gives up the ball but it allowed us to set up instead of giving them a fast break opportunity. Thought it was very heady.

Another play Lacey gets fouled on a three. Does he squander the opportunity? Nope, hits all 3 FT’s. Focus.

Thought the 3 timeouts in the second were great calls (as noted by BJD real time). He also proved to be right when earlier in the week he said Cat was better than Paige, as long as Cat believed so.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Great article, I think you’re spot on for the most part.

I rewatched the game and something that stood out to me was despite playing a very good game, we still have 30% more to give on offense. We could have won by 20 if not for losing track of the shot clock a couple of times, a couple of lazy passes, a traveling call on a beautiful pass, point blank misses, and a couple of unnecessary forced shots.

Imagine what THAT team would be capable of…

WolfWiz11
    Participant

“Tokoto is shown by the cameras wildly gesturing and loudly mouthing off.”

I (like everyone else) saw that and thought to myself, “THAT’S why I absolutely abhor that guy [and the Cheats].”

Where did you rewatch the game? I’d like to use part of this snow day to relive that glorious day without the anxiety of anticipatory defeat.

Since74
    Participant

Where did you rewatch the game? I’d like to use part of this snow day to relive that glorious day without the anxiety of anticipatory defeat.

You can see it online at WatchESPN

pakfanistan
    Participant

Or if you’re like me and don’t have ESPN….

ssshhhhhhhhh…..

wufpup76
    Keymaster

I have the game on dvr, and also used the Espn play-by-play to construct the post. Hopefully it’s available on WatchEspn like ‘Since74’ stated or possibly on theacc .com. Or you can just use paki’s convenient yet secret video 🙂

Fastback68
    Participant

I’ve watched the game 3x. I love when it when Cat runs the base line, curls in and hits a very difficult buzzer beater shot. I also enjoy Meeks sh– eating grin (not in real time) at the 11:01 mark 38-36. I’m sure he felt victory was assured at that point. I also like Meeks laying on the court near the end when defeat had been signed, sealed and shoved down his throat.

ajsnyder85
    Participant

pakfanistan wrote:
    “for a myriad of reasons” should be, “for myriad reasons.”

I appreciate the feedback – I hate making grammatical / prose errors. I will edit. Thanks again.

I’ve done extensive googling in the past. Even grammar snobs acknowledge the ambiguity of the word “myriad.” It can be used either as a noun (“a myriad of ways”) or a adjective (“myriad ways”).

wufpup76
    Keymaster

I’ve done extensive googling in the past. Even grammar snobs acknowledge the ambiguity of the word “myriad.” It can be used either as a noun (“a myriad of ways”) or a adjective (“myriad ways”).

Hahaha – thanks. The debate rages on! Now that I’ve changed the title post, I’ll just leave as is. Thanks for chiming in.

MrPlywood
    Participant

A couple of my favorite moments…

Starting at about 16:15 left, Cat’s sweet spin move around Paige and layup.

Starting at about 5:15 left in the game, the beautiful kick out from Cat to Turner for 3.

At about 1:45 left, Lacey’s drive to the basket for an “and 1”.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Death to the infidel!

BJD95
    Keymaster

I swear, I iz usually grammar Nazi supreme, Comrades, but I have always used “myriad” all adjective-like.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Oh well, the shield of common usage in effect I guess.

I’ll update my notes. (Even if I think ‘of’ is redundant)

WolfWiz11
    Participant

Ahhh . . . what a delightful way to spend an evening, reliving our victory. I think I may watch that whenever I’m having a bad day. Just for a few months 😀

WTNY
    Participant

Ahhh . . . what a delightful way to spend an evening, reliving our victory. I think I may watch that whenever I’m having a bad day. Just for a few months 😀

And then when we need to mix it up, we can watch 35-7!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

RE: Lacey and Tokoto…

Tokoto was handchecking Tokoto on every occasion he could when “the ref wasn’t looking”. There was also a lot of “incidental” body contact that Tokoto initialed that was insufficient to disrupt the play and warrant a whistle especially when Lacey did not have the ball.

After a while that all looked “normal” to guys in stripes who were focused on bigger violations.

When Lacey attempted to bring this to the referee’s attention in second half, Tokoto responded with some trash talking.

As noted above, in the end, our man Lacey GOTT the last laugh…

Tokoto must have GOTT this idea from some close friends who dressed out on Saturdays and pretended to be defensive football players for Coach Hat last season – (nobody in their right mind in blue or red would suggest that they were defensive football players or accuse them of actually playing defense on the football field ).

And I’m also certain none of his close friends were embarrassed by Tokoto’s results as they were quite reminiscent of the State – Carolina football game where those same kids gave up more rushing yards than any Tarhole team in any game they ever played in Chapel Hill.

That game, of course, is poetically symmetrical to our basketball team holding the Holes to the fewest points they had ever scored in a men’s basketball game in the Dean Dome.

Tokoto and Lacey will meet for Round Three in just a couple of weeks.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.