Kitchings to Furman?

Home Forums All StateFansNation Kitchings to Furman?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    choppack1
    Participant

Reports out there that Des Kitchings has been named new Head Coach for Furman. Great for him…not so for nc State unless we can squeeze some more time out of DD.

Here’s to hoping that it works out best for all parties.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

A couple of years as Head Coach makes Coach Kitch a better candidate to return to West Raleigh, doesn’t it?

On the other hand, for short term, our recruiting may suffer.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    choppack1
    Participant

True Bill. There’s definitely an upside here.

Downside would be his tenure doesn’t time out right for us, but great for him.

TheCOWDOG

State’s done well to Dez…And he in return.

ryebread
    Participant

Well, blast. There went the hedge plan for DD. 🙁

I wish Kitchings nothing but the best. I think they made a great hire.

Gowolves
    Participant

Great news Kitchens has decided to stay with the Pack! I guess a nice raise will do that.

choppack1
    Participant

I saw that. I couldn’t have blamed him for leaving – but that’s fantastic news!

ryebread
    Participant

Great news indeed. 🙂

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

The POBs know whose doing the real work….

I’ve told ya’ll this story…

My youngest daughter — my athlete among my 4 kids — was in the AD’s office at NHHS her junior year…
    She just happened to have her NC State sweatshirt on…

Coach Kitch walked in… on a recruiting visit….
    He spent 20 minutes talking one on one with my daughter…
    about school…
    about the NHHS football players…
    about Lacrosse…

He asked her to help talk about State with a couple of football guys he was looking at…

Now imho…. that’s how you do that job!

… and if State had a D1 Women’s Lacrosse Team — she’d be in Raleigh today…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Greywolf
    Participant

Great news Kitchens has decided to stay with the Pack! I guess a nice raise will do that.

In all probability Des was offered a nice raise but people who are not committed to an organization and it’s leadership rarely, if ever, turn down a better opportunity for a financial counter offer. On the other hand Des does wear glasses. Perhaps he can’t see what many on this board see.

Reading between the lines I say that Des made his decision based on seeing true progress and a bright future in our program. It would be tough to turn down a head-coaching job at your alma mater if you felt otherwise.

Des staying certainly says that he doesn’t see a sinking ship here at NC State and the future that some of us profess to see. Like it or not, it says he believes in Doeren and Doeren’s leadership and the direction this program is heading.

We have other coaches who likely have been offered opportunities to come coach at other, more successful schools. Ryan Nielsen comes first to mind as a viable defensive coordinator candidate. I’m thinking that Drinkwitz and Ledford also saw what Kitchings sees when they cast their lot with Doeren.

It’s easy to discount Doeren by citing his W/L record both over all and in the conference. Yet I have to draw the conclusion when a member of the coaching staff such as Des Kitchings chooses to stay with Doeren that there is more to DD than what the W/L indicates especially with the kind of opportunity DK turned down.

Go Pack!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.