Kicking Woes…..Again

Home Forums StateFans Football Kicking Woes…..Again

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    BassPacker
    Participant

Seems different kicker, same results. Missed extra points, chip shot field goals and ugly ones that go thru. Could it be more our coaching rather than we just can’t recruit a good kicker? As was the case with Louisville early, I fear a missed field goal will cost us a win like it did against Clemson, ECU and even FSU last year. The whole sequence looks shaky, from the snap to the hold to the kick. Beginning to think its more coaching and scheme that just bad kickers. Always heard its all about the head than the foot for kicker, maybe it passed from Bambard to new kicker, who knows. Thoughts?

freshmanin83
    Participant

Supposedly the Pack has a guy lined up for next year. Fsu seemed to have some kicking woes in late 1990 and early 2000 multiple kickers I think maybe it gets in heir heads.

Greywolf
    Participant

After watching our long snapper I’m beginning to wonder if our kicker is the problem. It all starts with the snapper, then the holder and finally the kicker, who always gets the blame when there is a miss. When the holder has to dig the snap out of the turf or the holder doesn’t handle the snap cleanly, the kicker has to make undiscernable corrections in his kick.

It’s all the kicking game but it ain’t all on the kicker as we usually assert.

Could it be more our coaching

If we are coaching the kickers at all then it’s the coaching. And not because the coaching is bad or good but because they would be coaching something they know nothing about.

Kickers at this level have received expert coaching for years at camps before they arrive on a college campus. Position coaches watching kickers would be like an English major looking through a microscope. He doesn’t see what a scientist sees.

If there is a flaw in one of the kickers stroke, another kicker is far more likely to be of help than a position coach.

I believe you are barking up the wrong tree trying to put it on the coaches.

McCallum
    Participant

I’ll take Profound analogies for $400 Alex.

McCallum

ryebread
    Participant

It’s not the long snapper. Yeah we had one that wasn’t clean last week, but our issues are with the guy kicking it and maybe the coaching he’s receiving. We haven’t had a kicker that has put up good numbers at a previous stop since Huascka.

My advice? Grin and bear it, and cheer like crazy when one goes in. That’s what we’ve got, or seemingly what we are going to trot out.

My bigger concern is with the kickoffs and our strategy. Bam’s got enough leg to kick it out of the back. There’s a mountain of statistical evidence showing this is the best strategy. DD says he’s got a stats guy. Don’t get cute and try to pooch it to full backs at about the 35 hoping they drop it. They’re on the hands team for a reason. Kick it out of the back, avoid injuries and set up on defense at the 25. That one is pretty obvious and is something we CAN correct this year.

Oh, and enjoy the punting. That’s a part of kicking and we have a great one right now. There are very few spots for punters in the NFL, but Cole may have a shot at one of those. He can boom it and with some serious hang time. Looking at his bio, I wonder why he’s not place kicking:
    Senior year stats: Converted 7-of-9 field goal attempts and 33-of-38 extra point tries for 54 points. Of his 42 kickoffs, 32 were touchbacks. No. 13 punter in the country by Kohl’s Kicking in the 2014 rankings. No. 5 kicker nationally…

pack44fan
    Participant

Not an expert, but quite the opposite. To me, it appears that the holder is holding the ball at an exaggerated angle compared to other teams’ holders. With most of the NFL kickers I have observed, it appears that the ball is held more straight up and down, less of an angle if any at all. Don’t have clue if this has anything to do with accuracy or is just kicker’s preference.

Greywolf
    Participant

The snaps are sometimes off target as well as in the turf. Pulling the snap to the placement spot can affect timing. Kicking is often a mental thing at this level. Concern for the snap in the back of the kicker’s mind really could be an issue.

Pack44fan might be on to something with this angle of the hold thing. Worth the ST coaches looking at. It’s obvious Cole didn’t hold in HS if he was doing the place kicking.

I’ve noticed something sitting in C-F that I don’t see watching away games. Bambard has no problem hitting them out of the end zone kicking with the wind. Kicking into the wind he does.

As for the pooch kick strategy, I’ll leave the decision when to use that up to the coaches. They are paying good money for analytics. I know better than the analytics guys but not my call. Bambard does have some problems kicking pooches where they are designed to go.

McCallum
    Participant

Note: kickers are responsible for our kicking woes.

Not responsibility of head coach to fix or the coaches he hired.

Got it.

McCallum

tractor57
    Participant

There are times when I don’t agree with McC but in this case I do. Maybe not “hands on” but it is up to coach D to steer the ship so yes it is his responsibility. Bobby Bowden went through the same trama years ago and yes it was his to solve. Maybe we can sign the Polish Rifle under cover 🙂

Greywolf
    Participant

Note: kickers are responsible for our kicking woes.
    Got it.

No, You don’t ‘got it’.

Not responsibility of head coach to fix or the coaches he hired.

It the coaches responsibility to fix the flooding during a hurricane.

There are times when I don’t agree with McC but in this case I do. Maybe not “hands on” but it is up to coach D to steer the ship so yes it is his responsibility.

Or course it’s his responsibility. Never said it wasn’t. His responsibility is more than to steer the ship, he’s responsible for the entire ship and its operation.

This is a discussion board or I thought it was. If the discussion is “who is responsible for the team,” the answer is the head coach. End of conversation.

I’ve enjoyed the past discussions. You guys have fun.

ryebread
    Participant

It appears we’ll have a few more years to debate this. We’ll see if anything changes with special teams in the offseason.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.