Keatts's versus Gott's First Year

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Keatts's versus Gott's First Year

Viewing 24 posts - 26 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    YogiNC
    Participant

Understood completely rye, that’s what prompted my “potential”. In a career in the Navy I saw many come and go, and later in that time frame had some that worked for me. The throw aways were most times easy to spot, the keepers take time usually to show what they got. Until then they were “potentials”. I was lucky to have some keepers and used them to turn around a few throw aways. From the very start though I saw KK as a “potential”. He had what looked to me like UMMMPH. I’d sure like to see that bunch go 6 – 2 down the stretch. Wouldn’t hat be grand!

Smarter than the average bear

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

fwiw3… Keatts years on the bench at Louisville with Patino are the rock on which we now stand… I’m thinking this may have been underestimated in our ‘expections’.

Maybe. But Sendek sat on Pitino’s bench too. Not every student is capable of mastering the “course”.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^I forgot that HWSNBN also spent some ‘quality’ time with Patino…

GO PACK!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    freshmanin83
    Participant

Coach Keatts has moxie. Energy, determination, know-how.

BassPacker
    Participant

We have a coach that WANTS to be at NC State. Not one that needed a job, needed a big payoff, needed fill an hiring hole of quicksand and not one that is a feel good hire like was/is in the family. I think this point cannot be pointed out enough. KK wanted to coach at NC State. Just that fact made the hire feel right not just his potential. I’m like most, excited with what have seen but still realistic enough to know Rome was not build overnight. I hope not but can see and expect some L’s to come that could hurt how we all feel now. Its the ACC, anyone can beat anyone any given night. BUt I take security in the hire that we may have something special in KK.

The next couple weeks will be very important in the first year of KK tenure at NC State.

freshmanin83
    Participant

I like coach Keatts but I will wait and see how the season plays out and of course the years to come.

The Coach and team have already exceeded expectations for many but hold on now I should not get ahead of myself.

I like the wins over the top 25 teams but something bad is still more than capable of happening.

People who make a living at noting good teams are starting to take a little notice of NCSU but come on now I have seen this happen before only for Lucy to pull it back.

I think I have been as well trained as Pavlov’s dog.

packalum44
    Participant

When a bad team loses its top three scorers, expecting that team to improve to the middle of the ACC seems silly to me.

You are not alone. It was silly to most everyone but for the wrong reasons: that is to say, expectations were set using a faulty method that is common to human bias (quite similar to the curt anecdotal dismissal you espouse) and a general lack of analytical rigor or pure logic on the part of pundits. A byproduct of the faulty pre-season exceptions drives the narrative that Keatts is grossly outperforming. I argue he is outperforming but by a smaller margin than the current consensus.

Even if 12th was set using a proper method…what is the difference between 12th and 9th? Inherently speaking, not much…but the 9th ACC team will be a bubble team. So if we were picked to finish 9th – which is a bubble team and not materially different than where we were picked – then how happy would our fans be? Probably not super happy because 9th = bubble team which is what they expected because the pundits said so pre-season.

With eight more games left, Keatt’s has a chance to grossly outperform or he may lose 6 of 8. I’m optimistic.

freshmanin83
    Participant

What method would be a proper method for guessing at a season before it happens or is halfway over?

rthomas44
    Participant

I would like to offer my take once more…. you are looking at a true WINNER. Keatts will take this team to the ACC finals unless he meets VA sooner, and that will be a great game. Then no less than sweet 16. I don’t stutter.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^MaterMan… Can we ALL get some that homemade ‘Mater Juice you’re making?

No doubt about the ‘True Winner’, but ACC semis + Sweet 16 might be a little more realistic…
    Too many key kids (Batts, Beverly, AL && Hunt ) playing in their first ACCT for me to go that far with this…

Then, I could be wrong…

GO PACK!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    PackerInRussia
    Participant

Keatts seems to have the good balance of players liking him and players respecting him. Of course that’s far from enough to make one a good coach, but I think it’s a must in order to be a great coach.

Gowolves
    Participant

Big Numbers
    Kevin Keatts piled up the victories during his time at Hargrave Military Academy in Virginia, finishing with a 263-17 record in 10 overall seasons as head coach.
    1999-2000: 23-3
    2000-2001: 27-2
    2003-2004: 28-1, national prep champ
    2004-2005: 26-1, national prep runner-up
    2005-2006: 27-1, national prep runner-up
    2006-2007: 25-5
    2007-2008: 29-0, national prep champ
    2008-2009: 27-2, national prep runner-up
    2009-2010: 25-1
    2010-2011: 26-1

He won at 94% clip. Now some will say it’s just a prep school and has no relevance. I say huey.

He had to turn the roster over every year. Get a whole new bunch of kids to buy in. I am not saying they are NCAA bound but I am saying this shouldn’t come to a complete surprise. The talent is not complete crap. You have a big man who has improved his game a lot. A point guard who looked very good at times last year as a freshman. He happens to be the best on ball defender which creates havoc on the opposing PG. A transfer from UNC Charlotte who was freshman player of the year. Freeman brings the wisdom of the program. AF who can be a scorer. If Abu can get out of his funk then this team can be really versatile.

YogiNC
    Participant

I think some of Abu’s problem could be a pity party. For some it’s hard to trade being the lead dog in the pack for being swept into a pack of lead dogs trading time at the front. In today’s environment of kids aspiring to make it to the show with that big contract way too many view the former to be the path over the later and realize too late they made the wrong choice.

Smarter than the average bear

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

He won at 94% clip. Now some will say it’s just a prep school and has no relevance. I say huey.

Most schools (with the exception of State) hire a coach that has been successful at his current school and then hope that success translates to the next level. But over the years, there have been a lot of coaches that were very successful at mid-major schools that ultimately failed in the ACC. I never tire of pointing out that success at Xavier has translated into success at a higher level for a lot of coaches…but not for Pete Gillen.

If it was easy to tell who was going to be able to bring their success with them, then there wouldn’t be so many firings every spring.

WolfWiz11
    Participant

Joel Berry says we aren’t UNCheat’s rival. God, I hope Dook destroys them on Thursday. And I hope Coach Keatts uses that as motivation for the boys. Should be plastered on every locker. And he should remind them of the mollywopping they gave us last year and expect us to return the favor on OUR home court. Really liking the fire I see from Coach. This could be a turning point for NCSU basketball.

Remember, big things have small beginnings

wolfmanmat
    Participant

The fans feel the same way. That’s why they are referred to as just the holes.

Rick
    Keymaster

I was not particularly thrilled with the hiring of Keatts. I felt You went way by hiring the local guy she knew would take the job and was hand picked by Murphy.
    So far I have been very pleasant surprised. I still see some things that concern me defensively but they are improving. I am enjoying this year. My expectations were as low as they get so it’s easy to enjoy this success.
    Hopefully things keep improving and Keatts turns us into a consistent winner. Playing hard is a must and we do that. It seems the skill set to grow from good to great is much different and rarer. I still don’t think we will know what we have until years three and four.

freshmanin83
    Participant

I am wondering when the bridge jumpers will start to come back. I thought it would take a Ncaa bid for most.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Joel Berry says we aren’t UNCheat’s rival.

That’s been true for about 25 years. I’m not sure why it matters who says it.

Rick
    Keymaster

I am wondering when the bridge jumpers will start to come back. I thought it would take a Ncaa bid for most.

Aaaaand here’s why I rarely post on here any more. Thanks for reminding me.

WolfWiz11
    Participant

Joel Berry says we aren’t UNCheat’s rival.

That’s been true for about 25 years. I’m not sure why it matters who says it.

It seems like more than the usual shots that fans take, though. Especially since we JUST beat them in Crapel Hill. Regardless, Keatts should make our guys understand that those goat f*ckers don’t respect us. And THAT is an insult that will be rectified moving forward. New day, snitches.

rthomas44
    Participant

This is about CONFIDENCE in your teammates and in your self as a player. It takes a real coach to put that kind of mindset in the player’s head and back it up.

GO PACK!!

Greywolf
    Participant

“There’s a Pack’s #1 bumper sticker on every tractor and pick-up truck between Greenville and Greensboro.”
    “Carter Stadium has natural turf so their homecoming queen will have somewhere to graze.”
    “They’re not our rival.”

It’s all the same “we’re too good to be Moo U’s rival. Just another no-class put-down attempt. To be honest about it, that kind of BS just makes every win that much sweeter. And every loss for the holes that much more bitter.

Strong message to follow!

Gowolves
    Participant

Most schools (with the exception of State) hire a coach that has been successful at his current school and then hope that success translates to the next level. But over the years, there have been a lot of coaches that were very successful at mid-major schools that ultimately failed in the ACC. I never tire of pointing out that success at Xavier has translated into success at a higher level for a lot of coaches…but not for Pete Gillen.

If it was easy to tell who was going to be able to bring their success with them, then there wouldn’t be so many firings every spring.

The point I was trying to make and maybe I didn’t was we shouldn’t be surprised with the first season success. Not going to believe just yet it’s going to last. I also don’t think people truly appreciate what takes to get 5 new players to buy in every year. Most of them are trying justify that D1 scholarship that they have already received.

FYI, I understand how the basketball hiring and firing works at the NCAA level, no need to assume I think it’s an easy process.

Viewing 24 posts - 26 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.