Just sayin\\\'

Home Forums StateFans Non Sports Talk Just sayin\\\'

Tagged: 

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    choppack1
    Participant

That George Harrison was the most talented Beatle.

Best songwriter, most talented musician (just guessing here) – best solo songs (not even close.)

What is my life? My sweet Lord?

Please – the Beatles were r&b rip offs until they let him contribute.

That’s all.

rthomas44
    Participant

While my guitar gently weeps.

TheCOWDOG

: Taxman
    : Here Comes The Sun
    : While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    In no particular order.

AugustaWolf
    Participant

Here comes the sun and Something. Two great songs from Abbey Road. His best work was just getting started. Not the most talented Beatle by a longshot. John probably could have been a better lead guitarist. He was sued and lost the copyright infringement case for My Sweet Lord. Just sayin.

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

He’s always been my favorite Beatle. His relationship with Clapton garnered him a degree of credibility he otherwise would not have received from laymen (like me). I know it’s a Lennon-McCartney song, but I’ve always loved “Norwegian Wood” because of Harrison’s experimentation with the sitar.

YogiNC
    Participant

He was sued and lost the copyright infringement case for My Sweet Lord

And that was ON A FREAKIN’ 3 NOTE RIFF. NOT! Carol King had no right to that, she actually ripped it off from two other songs. And the judge decided that it wasn’t relevant.

Now to be fair there was a ton of talent in that band. And it is hard to argue that the only song writing duo/trio that even comes close to Lennon/McCartney is Holland-Dozier-Holland, and they WERE Motown. I could never stand McCartney’s lyrics, some were almost infantile (Uncle Albert, Let ’em in, Silly Love Songs, I could go on…) but when Lennon was there to temper it they had some AWESOME stuff. Revolver is an off the scale great work. And NO ONE ever came close to what they did with controlling the top 5 spots on the billboard hot 100. Later on after the band broke up Lennon was upset with himself in that he and Paul did not collaborate more with George.

Now, one more thing. All of those great songs that were mentioned that George wrote. Take a wild guess who contributed a ton of talent AND insight/writing to almost every song that George did that was a ‘hit’. Eric Clapton. Clapton actually wrote a good deal of While My Guitar Gently Weeps, and if you listen closely the rifts in What is Life are right in your face (that is one of my all time favorite songs, Layla being my all time #1. Some of George’s best stuff was also with the Traveling Willburys. BTW, the name of that group came about when the discovered some stuff that would be considered mistakes on some of the takes. George said “We’ll bury it in the mix”, and thus the name was born.

Smarter than the average bear

choppack1
    Participant

Oddly enough I am not a huge fan of Clapton’s solo work but obviously enjoy his collaboration with Harrison.

And agreed on Paul McCartney

Gowolves
    Participant

Robert Hunter IMHO is one of the best song writers of all time.

gso packbacker
    Participant

Not sure what is more pointless, that article or me expending energy to comment here.

Btw, I did NOT notice “Head Coaches cashing big damn checks” as one of the challenges listed.

YogiNC
    Participant

I will agree that Hunter has written some great songs however, as with all things greatness is measured most times in terms of commercial success. By that standard I dare say he probably wouldn’t scratch the top 100.

Gowolves
    Participant

I will agree that Hunter has written some great songs however, as with all things greatness is measured most times in terms of commercial success. By that standard I dare say he probably wouldn’t scratch the top 100.

True, but the checks still cashed to the tune (no pun intended) of being the highest grossing tours for many years consecutively. The problem was all the mouths to feed and party favors. Who knows what the net take could have been without all that. Of course it wouldn’t have been the same.

YogiNC
    Participant

The Dead were always a great concert draw. Heck, in 1989 I had hundreds of Dead Heads camping out across the street from my house in Saratoga Springs the night before their concert at SPAC. While their fans are true fanatics in every sense of the word they are not that great in numbers comparatively speaking. Back in the day, record SALES and as a result radio air play, is what drove the concept of who was/was not great.

Off the top of my head I can think of at least 50 bands/artists who most people would name before they even thought of the Dead. That being said, I have a great affinity for “Drivin’ that train” and “sugar magnolia”. And BTW, I saw the Dead when they had their Wall of Sound. Today’s sound systems can generate much more power that the wall did, but for it’s day it was REALLY impressive.

freshmanin83
    Participant

Who is George Harrison?

44rules
    Participant

freshmanin83, he was a wide receiver for the Colts. One of Peyton Manning’s favorite targets. When he and Peyton were locked in, it was beautiful. Hence all the talk about music.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

freshmanin83
    Participant

freshmanin83, he was a wide receiver for the Colts. One of Peyton Manning’s favorite targets. When he and Peyton were locked in, it was beautiful. Hence all the talk about music.

Hmmm, I was thinking that his name was Marvin and that the only George connection would have been Jeff George who was traded for the pick used to select Marvin or err … George you say. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

highstick
    Participant

Who is George Harrison?

Hmmm, I was thinking that his name was Marvin and that the only George connection would have been Jeff George who was traded for the pick used to select Marvin or err … George you say. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

All of you are wrong…He was P J Hairson’s brother by another mother!

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

44rules
    Participant

Freshman and Highstick, thanks for picking up my smart-arsedness and running with it. Truly entertaining, gentlemen.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

44rules
    Participant

Freshman and Highstick, thanks for picking up my smart-arsedness and running with it. Truly entertaining, gentlemen.

highstick
    Participant

I am to please! Sometimes….

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Just saying…

HAPPY 4TH of JULY to all YA’LL….

Greatest “American” Song ever written here…

Forget that Trump and the Ruskies are friends…

POP!!!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    McCallum
    Participant

The Ringo Starr cover band I lead is out for blood.

McCallum

freshmanin83
    Participant

Just saying…

HAPPY 4TH of JULY to all YA’LL….

Greatest “American” Song ever written here…

Forget that Trump and the Ruskies are friends…

POP!!!

Huzza we are back to political discussions I guess.

Ok since you brought it up I will bite. What has forgetting or not forgetting Trump and Ruskies being friendly or unfriendly have anything to do with the 1812 Overture?

I think I get and idea of using a song that has strains of La Marseillaise and God Save the Tsar! in an American independence celebration as being interesting. I think playing this in some places in conjunction with the 4th of July (I personally have never been to a 4th celebration and ever heard this tune) became popular in 1974 when the Boston Pops did it.

I don’t personally associate the two and not sure how many Americans do but I have heard of it being done. I like the song and think it is a great composition.

Not sure what your political comment has to do with it but ready to be enlightened.

Yeah, I am bored.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.