John Swofford’s presence obviously hurting the ACC

Home Forums All StateFansNation John Swofford’s presence obviously hurting the ACC

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

We are streaming ACC’s Operation Basketball from Charlotte live in this link that you should check out if you have some time. The Commissioner of the
    [See the full post at: John Swofford’s presence obviously hurting the ACC]

WV Wolf
    Keymaster

Swofford sucks at punctuation too.

Hungwolf
    Participant

3000 UNC grads and not a one could translate the press conference to Swahili so they shut it down, is what I heard!

MrPlywood
    Participant

^Period. Point Blank.

I would have loved to have heard the Clemson question, and seen the resulting shut down. I’m not a judge, and don’t work for the NCAA, but it seems to me that both rely on precedents in order to hand down punishment. If that’s the case, uNX should get hammered on the athletic and the academic sides. Just hammered.

deenz
    Participant

All I have to say is, wow. And this:
    This man should have been run out of town years ago when it was determined that he funneled media rights to the company his son works for, costing the ACC, and thus each member institution, millions. For this debacle that he is now clearly involved in, creating fictitious courses allowing athletes and the university to cheat and win and prosper over others, he deserves jail time. Mr. Smith should be yanked from the hall of fame while he’s still living and Mr. Williams needs to be fired for that place to clean up and enjoy some last place finishes in all sports for a number of years.

Prowling Woofie
    Participant

Kevin Ngandi (sp?) of ESPN tried to get Roy to answer questions this morning, and after stumbling over a couple, Roy played the old “I’ll be glad to talk basketball if you want to talk basketball, but I’m not going to talk about that other crap” line.

Guilty, guilty, guilty…

deenz
    Participant

I also love how the media is beginning to circle this storyline like sharks. They smell blood and they are not going anywhere until they get some bodies. The more people that are involved, the messier this gets, the happier they’ll be.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Sooner than later…. Old Johnny’s gonna have plenty of time on his hands to help Uncle Roy keep the grass mowed over at Finley and Grandover …
    Peas in a Pod…
    or
    There aint no fools like two old fools…. right Mr. Stick ???

Somebody needs to ask Jim Boeheim (the basketsaurus rex ) what he thinks about these two old fools…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    pakfanistan
    Participant

gso packbacker
    Participant

I listened for about 2 minutes and then had to cut it off as it was too painful to listen. Regardless of his affiliation, I sure wish our Conference Commissioner came across as a more competent and effective leader.

StateFans
    Keymaster

deenz — I’m not sure that was the first time in his career that funneling money (kickbacks) from media deals was a strategy used by certain parties. Would be really interesting for all of us to know the complete truth about some of these past dealings. But, its WAY too far in the past and there is no way records would exist to support anything. Interesting, however.

WTNY
    Participant

Connecticut newspaper doesn’t hold back:

“Throw The Book At UNC”

How do a few years of lousy APR scores involving a dozen basketball players stack up against 18 years of staggeringly massive academic fraud involving 3,100 students, 47 percent athletes, getting A’s in phony African and Afro-American studies classes?

And how much gold should North Carolina, part of the Power Five monopoly, forfeit for engaging in the most egregious and widespread academic sham in NCAA history?

MrPlywood
    Participant

^Haha, I love the piling on. It seems that we have reached and passed the tipping point for public awareness.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Stuff like that makes me think it’s just a matter of time until UNC goes down in flames.

Mike
    Participant

<iframe id=”twitter-widget-0″ scrolling=”no” frameborder=”0″ allowtransparency=”true” class=”twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered” allowfullscreen=”” style=”display: block; max-width: 99%; min-width: 220px; padding: 0px; border-top-left-radius: 5px; border-top-right-radius: 5px; border-bottom-right-radius: 5px; border-bottom-left-radius: 5px; margin: 10px 0px; border-color: rgb(238, 238, 238) rgb(221, 221, 221) rgb(187, 187, 187); border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; box-shadow: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.14902) 0px 1px 3px; position: static; visibility: visible; width: 500px;” title=”Embedded Tweet” height=”212″></iframe>
    <script async=”” src=”//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>

Wait just a cotton pickin minute here. So Swoffy says no conference punishments beyond whatever the NCAA does? Is this the same Swoffy who lobbied for Klempsun to get further punishment from the league? Is this the same Swoffy who wanted FSU to get punished for resting softball players? What a complete joke!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

I’m pretty sure the media hands down the hall from Chancellor Folp’s office are going f’ing nuts…

They can’t wait for the season to start… so…
    DumbAssDickie can handle the press for ’em…

Just imagine someone saying…
    “We spent a million f’ing dollars and more to make this sh&t go away and these idiots won’t shut the F up! I want those SOBs in my office in the morning and tell ’em ‘No Coffee or Danish'”

…and smile when that vision is fully engaged in your head…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Primewolf
    Participant

Doesn’t it take 3/4 of the Chancellors to agree to kick out the commish. What I can’t understand is other than UNC, who wouldn’t vote to kick him out?

Primewolf
    Participant

And UNC should abstain.

Wulfpack
    Participant

What I can’t understand is other than UNC, who wouldn’t vote to kick him out?

VT. Miami. BC. Pitt. Cuse. Lville. Think about all the deals that were made. I mean, if it weren’t for Swoff, they wouldn’t be in the position they are today. And then you have politics as usual with all the rest. He is a very well liked administrator at the conference and national level.

rthomas44
    Participant

Move on, indeed! This scandal is far from over! Wainstein report is still a whitewash and Roy knows it and so does Swofford.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

I just am catching up a bit – thank you all for the OP and subsequent posts.

I haven’t heard, seen, or read about any of the press conference or individual coach/player questions. For those that have, did Swofford and/or Roy come off as arrogant?

Meaning, did it seem like they didn’t expect questions about the report or surrounding information? I could see that being a possibility for either or both of them (moreover, I wouldn’t be surprised if their handlers communicated gestapo-type ‘no questions about the report answered!’ messages).

I know it’s silly to say, but it seems funny that media members are going after UNC. Says a lot about the media and the UNC machine (no one questions the state!)

ryebread
    Participant

Skip to about the 21 minute mark to hear the QA:
    http://www.wralsportsfan.com/rs/video/14127555/

Good god the hypocrisy of Swofford is sickening:
    – About UNC: Separation of Church and State between academics and athletics is what makes sense.
    – Asked about whether athletes should get paid: No, because what is special about NCAA sports is the marriage of academics and athletics.

It was also interesting to see all the talking points I’d predicted come out of Swof’s mouth:
    – Need to move on
    – Things are behind
    – I knew nothing
    – Separation of athletics from academics
    “Carolina” as Swof called them clearly had the talking points nailed.

I’ve felt for years that the Swoff should go and that his presence has propped UNC up, held NC State down, and generally hurt our league’s overall value in contract negotiations (see the Pac 12 deal for reference). Watching this press conference and the media questions, it has to be painfully obvious to the rest of the adults that he’s bad for business.

Fire the bum!

PackerInRussia
    Participant

Kevin Ngandi (sp?) of ESPN tried to get Roy to answer questions this morning, and after stumbling over a couple, Roy played the old “I’ll be glad to talk basketball if you want to talk basketball, but I’m not going to talk about that other crap” line.

Hard to not talk about crap when the smell in the air is so strong.

Roy Williams: “I’ve never had a player ineligible. If you want to be a cynic & say, ‘no joke, with what they did,’ that’s a bunch of crap.”

No, that’s common sense. (again with the crap?)

Roy defending Wayne Walden now. “Wayne Walden is one of the most ethical people I’ve ever known in my life.”

Considering the people you’ve been surrounded by, that’s not a title of distinction. It’s about as meaningful as “smartest UNC athlete.”

hdhntr91
    Participant

Have not looked at the other posts, but…

Has anyone considered looking at Swofford’s record prior to becoming Commissioner. Would that have happened without the wins and without AFAM?? Would it be safe to say AFAM was the vehicle to his current job??

JohnGalt78
    Participant

RW at presser when asked crap questions:

“If they fire me, it’s going to be because I didn’t win games,” said Williams, whose career winning percentage (.792) is the highest among active coaches with at least 20 years’ experience.

TRANSLATION: “THEY DON’T CARE HOW I WON THEM, JUST THAT I WON THEM”

“It’s not going to be because I for sure knowingly did something unethical.

“FOR SURE KNOWINGLY”…REALLY? SO YOU’RE SAYING THERE’S A LOOPHOLE…AS IN JUST PLAIN KNOWING?

“I don’t move my ball on the green when nobody’s watching.” FOR COURSE NOT. YOU MIGHT GET CAUGHT. YOU MOVE IT IN THE ROUGH…YOU IMPROVE YOUR LIE, LIAR!

Williams went on for a short while, making golf analogies, defending his ethics, his character.

“So no, I don’t worry one second about my ethics,”

THAT’S PRETTY OBVIOUS, DIPSH!T

“or what can be done there”

YOU LIVE ON YOUR OWN STINKING CESSPOOL WORLD ROY. OF COURSE THERE’S NOTHING YOU CAN DO BECAUSE THERE’S NOTHING YOU FEEL NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED.

“And the NCAA – I have never knowingly done anything that would even violate an attempt at the rule.”

YOU ‘FOR SURE’ KNEW. YOU KNEW YOU VIOLATE RULES…NOT “ATTEMPTS” AT RULES.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/10/29/4275844/unc-coach-roy-williams-if-they.html?sp=/99/100/&ihp=1#storylink=cpy

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.