Jerricho Cotchery is a Carolina Panther!

Home Forums StateFans Football Jerricho Cotchery is a Carolina Panther!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

FINALLY the Panthers get a ‘big named’ Wolfpacker. My son is going to love this.

Link

The Carolina Panthers have a new No. 1 receiver.

Granted, Jerricho Cotchery has been a backup for most of his career and is about to turn 32, but Cotchery will soon be the top receiver on the Panthers’ depth chart. Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports that the deal is being finalized now.

Obviously, the Panthers will need to make a few more moves at wide receiver before the season starts. But at the moment, with Steve Smith, Brandon LaFell, Ted Ginn and Domenik Hixon all having left in free agency, Cotchery is by far the best receiver the Panthers have.

Last year Cotchery played in all 16 games and started six for the Steelers, catching 46 passes for 602 yards and a career-high 10 touchdowns. It was his third season in Pittsburgh; he previously played for the Jets from 2004 to 2010.

Cotchery was also weighing an offer to return to the Steelers, but instead he’ll call Carolina home this year.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Awesome stuff. We will need him. The offense is coming unglued, but still a top 5 defense. There is some money to spend.

Wasn’t the last Wolfpack Panther Tank Tyler?

Pack85EE
    Participant

I love it.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Good for Cotchery and a great sign by the Panthers … by all accounts a great guy and will most likely be invaluable in the locker room.

Fastback68
    Participant

Super Bowl!!

JK, I’m not that high. In an off season where Cam should be doing run for your life sprints every day, he is out 4 months due to ankle surgery. A perpetual area of weakness loses 3 players. Will be interesting to see this play out.

Deacon Blues
    Participant

#1 I love this, welcome home J Clutch.

#2 He is 32, I must be getting old.

#3 how in the world do you let the entire receiving core go? Offense was our weak spot last year and we have needs at 1/2 the positions on that side of the ball now. WTF are they doing.

So I guess the streak will continue. Never have the Panthers had back to back winners….and it does not look like we will again.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Gettleman is cleaning up the mess Hurney created. He is not an idiot. He is identifying the core and trying to ensure long term success. They will get a WR. Give it time.

JasonP
    Participant

Hurney indeed screwed that franchise big time. Gettleman’s also got to worry about the $$$ tied up in an often injured backfield that can’t give them a full season. Hurney never understood the concept of selling high. Should’ve done that with Peppers along with Williams and Stewart years ago. Panthers have a defense to build on, which will keep the season from being a total disaster, but they will be better off in the long run with the moves being made now.

Wulfpack
    Participant

^Exactly.

Wulfpack
    Participant

The production of Steve Smith was not near what they were paying him. He has maybe 2 seasons left. Time for new leaders (Kuechly, Newton) in the locker room. Hen did not mentor the WRs, ever. This happens all the time in the NFL from the GMs that have a clue. Get rid of them sooner rather than later.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Here is the latest addition:

The Carolina Panthers have agreed to a two-year deal with wide receiver Tiquan Underwood, according to a league source.

Underwood, who is entering his sixth year in the league, visited the Panthers on Thursday. He caught 24 passes for a career-high 440 yards and four touchdowns last season for the Bucs.

Word is Panthers have talked to Desean Jackson, too. He would be a giant upgrade over Smith.

Deacon Blues
    Participant

^ He gets Jackson and I back off because you at leas have a burner and a possession guy. But short of that letting all those guys go does not look like the right move, at least to me.

Wulfpack
    Participant

You have to take a global view. It isn’t going to look good short term. But again, this guy is no idiot. He helped build the Giants. By all accounts, Hurney was an awful GM and he is trying to clean the mess up and ensure some long term success. Gettleman is a numbers guy. He doesn’t care what your name is or what you’ve done. If you aren’t worth the money, see ya later. And that is the way it is at all the top franchises.

Deacon Blues
    Participant

^ I get all that. Total money ball and pats play, but when u look up and the whole receiving core is gone, your O was bad, and last was one of the better years, ESP for receivers. couple that with your QB loses most of the offseason, and routes and timing taking time to build you can count me in the wait and see camp.

Hurney was a moron no denying that, and based on cap room, some of these have to be done, you just don’t expect it to be a whole unit…or I don’t.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.