Jay Bilas Slams State

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Jay Bilas Slams State

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

A. I’m a realist that we all serve at the pleasure of our superiors, so I understand the decision. … It’s different everywhere. People’s sensibilities are different. What they want is different. But this seems like every five years that N.C. State is going through this.

To me, at some point, you’ve got to say “Well, who’s making the decisions there?” That’s part of it too. But this is pro sports. Players go to school but it’s pro sports. Guys are making a lot of money. They’re going to get fired. I understand it. I might not agree with it.

N.C. State is a good job. It’s not a great job, but it’s a good job.

I do think last time they went through the (basketball coach) hiring process their top candidates all said ‘No.’ And I would be prepared for that again.

Q. Where does the N.C. State basketball job rate in the ACC – middle of the pack?

A. Yeah, something like that. It’s not a hard analysis. Look, is it a better job than Duke? Is it a better job than Carolina, Louisville, Notre Dame, Miami? … It is a very difficult league now. You can be really good and finish ninth in this league now. There are other jobs out there that are a lot better. I know people don’t want to hear that, especially fans in red don’t want to hear that, but it’s true.

(On Gottfried) I’m not saying, “Give him another year.” If they want to fire him, fine. I’m not arguing with the decision…. The numbers are the numbers. In 20 years before (Gottfried) got there, they went to five NCAA tournaments. And he (Gottfried) went to four in six years, and that’s pretty good. … He’s had a couple of rough years and I’m not going to argue that. They can fire him, and they did fire him. I’m not storming Raleigh with torches and pitchforks.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/scott-fowler/article133460164.html#storylink=cpy

JeremyH
    Participant

“I do think last time they went through the (basketball coach) hiring process their top candidates all said ‘No.’ And I would be prepared for that again.”

Sure, we’re prepared for anything, Jay. Thanks for your input I guess. Can we call you “TheElegantTroll”?

And these heads are all right, it’s a high risk/high reward job opportunity.
    Its that first part that scares folks away. And its people like Jay that are “warning” them in a savy.
    How does this become a better job? By lowering expectations? Please.

Want my opinion? NC State is a sleeping giant, and the media *cough* Duke alums, etc., are protecting their turf. The smear is on full blast.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I cannot tell you how critical it is for us to once and for all finally get this hire right. Yes, I want to shut these talking heads up – but more than anything, I just want to win. It has been WAY too long. Gott did a lot of good, but we CAN and SHOULD do even better.

coyotejoe
    Participant

What else would you expect from him? I don’t remember all of this chirping when the holes ran their golden boy Doherty out of CH…it’s like we are supposed to settle for low expectations. We built the ACC; to hell with all of ’em.

tractor57
    Participant

Do it right and the chattering class doesn’t matter.

StateRed44
    Participant

Yes, to hell with all of them. I had to tell a decent couple of high school friends on Facebook today to basically get bent. There is always some sliver truth to perceptions, but another truth is they really want us to know our place. Yes, to hell with them all!!!!

ryebread
    Participant

I’m not a Bilas fan, and find him an insufferable, condescending ass. I hope we hit a home run if for no other reason to spite guys like him.

Wulfpack
    Participant

30 years, guys. 30 years. They may have forgotten. But have we?

coyotejoe
    Participant

I’m old enough to remember watching DT…no way I have forgotten. I wish that we would feature him more, so that more recent generations could be educated.

Fastback68
    Participant

I wish I could hire The Accountant and start cleaning up the media trash.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Nattering nabobs of negativism.

GoldenChain
    Participant

All these guys make a living off of being negative…unless they are talking about Duke or unx….so no surprise they pooh pooh our job. They did it 6 years ago and six before that etc etc. back to when V left and it was “the mess at NC State”.

Texpack
    Participant

Duke hasn’t hired a decent MBB coach in over 35 years!

tractor57
    Participant

Tex granted they haven’t had to but the time is near. All the “auditions” for a replacement have not lived up to expectations.

saigonwolf
    Participant

Guys like Bilas and the Cheats sympathizers are scared to death of what’s gonna happen when their golden-boy HOF coaches retire. We’ve already seen a glimpse of it with Matt D in Cheat-land, and they’re damn lucky that ole Roy bailed them out. Then there are the times at Dookie-ville when Coach K’s back went out, and his fill-ins were less than stellar, and I’m being kind with that assessment. So of course they’re gonna trash us at every turn in hopes of keeping us down and less relevant than them. I have a feeling their days are numbered, and they know it.

McCallum
    Participant

Guys like Bilas and the Cheats sympathizers are scared to death of what’s gonna happen when their golden-boy HOF coaches retire. We’ve already seen a glimpse of it with Matt D in Cheat-land, and they’re damn lucky that ole Roy bailed them out. Then there are the times at Dookie-ville when Coach K’s back went out, and his fill-ins were less than stellar, and I’m being kind with that assessment. So of course they’re gonna trash us at every turn in hopes of keeping us down and less relevant than them. I have a feeling their days are numbered, and they know it.

I think there is a point in the D’oh! situation that reveals more than you would think about the goings on at unc.

Please recall D’oh! was their 5-6 th pick. At carolinasucks.com we printed Just Say No shirts that had a list of the people that turned down the job. They were rejected by several coaches that probably had a good understanding of the academic situation and what you would be governing over. They also realized what would happen if you slipped. Roy simply kicked the cheating into high gear, makes life easier.

Respect comes with performance and winning, both of those items earn you a reputation. When you walk on the field, court or in a meeting with a reputation it is worth “two divisions’ in the words of Napoleon.

Problem for State is their reputation is in line with a town drunk caught screwing goats behind the old elementary school.

McCallum

gso packbacker
    Participant

@McCallum – Goats? Plural? Now there is someone that has got a chip on his shoulder. Any chance he can coach MBB? 😉

I like Bilas for the most part. However, I don’t agree with him on all of those points. I don’t see Miami as a better job unless you like that scenery or you can’t handle being judged in part by your performance against the big boys in blue.

Last time I checked, I don’t want our coach bringing his collection of lace panties and a lifetime supply of salve to Raleigh

gso packbacker
    Participant

What gets me is how all of the media reports us for being so horrible for firing Gottfried mid-season, yet fail to even mention about the “dumbster” fire that was brewing and the potential effects.

Anyway, it looks like the boys over at DBR were smart enough to figure it out. A good enough read that I could envision it actually being penned by an reasonably informed, but perhaps more subdued State fan.

Someone in the “Media” Gets It

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.