It's Time for Basketball

Home Forums StateFans Basketball It's Time for Basketball

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    redisgood
    Participant

Haven’t seen any forum threads lately on basketball, so I thought I would start one.

The team is currently on a five day educational and team bonding trip to NYC. They look like they are having a great time. They visited Rucker Park yesterday, and went to the Apollo Theater last night. I saw a clip of the team doing the Electric Slide at the Apollo. Good stuff. They had a practice at the NY Athletic Club this morning, and were going to visit museums this afternoon.

Gott recently put them through something called BAM testing which is used by the NBA during their draft combines. The highlight was Dez Lee who put up an incredible vertical leap of 44 inches. That is higher than any NBA BAM vertical leap score in the past five years.

On a different note, I noticed Pitt went to the Bahamas to do play some exhibition games. Teams can do this once every three years. You may remember we had a recruit named Joseph Uchebo who had de-committed due to academics. Over 4 games, Uchebo scored 30 points and had 50 rebounds in 72 minutes of play. Obviously against inferior opposition, but it sure would have been nice to have a true center like that this year.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I am really, really excited to see this team play, especially ALMKH (A Leaner Meaner King Hippo) and Abu. This team is going to be a joy to watch, I feel it in my old man bones.

And you know that me and optimism don’t usually mesh.

Since74
    Participant

Prediction: As Cat goes, so goeth the Pack.

Would be nice to have a Lewis caliber back up PG this year. Raising my glass to Cat Barber’s health.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Would be nice to have a Lewis caliber back up PG this year.

Trevor Lacey. Bam! Wish granted.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Would be nice to have $50Mil and a hot tub full of playmates.

Since74
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Since74 wrote:</div>

Thought he was an SG. Either way I’m very optimistic about our depth everywhere else. Can’t wait to see this year’s version.

YogiNC
    Participant

Wufpacker, I’d take 25mil and two playmates in a shower.

Smarter than the average bear

Wufpacker
    Participant

Hee hee, good point.
    But if I’m wishing for things, might as well start high and leave room to negotiate down.

MISTA WOLF
    Participant

I’m very antsy for basketball to start as well and that doesn’t mean I’m disregarding the football team. I know you guys aren’t disregarding the football team, but basketball just means something more to me for some reason. Cheers to being in Charlotte on the 30th of December, listening to the Pack beat down Cincy in Raleigh on the radio and being liquor drunk because it’s going to be freezing watching the Pack dominate some SEC squad at 6:30 in the Belk Bowl. Now there is some wishful thinking.

Damn I love me some run-on sentences!!

MISTA WOLF
    Participant

Wuf and Yogi,

I’m not picky so I would settle for either one of your ideas. Having both of your options would be a lot sweeter šŸ™‚

pakfanistan
    Participant

Thought he was an SG. Either way Iā€™m very optimistic about our depth everywhere else. Canā€™t wait to see this yearā€™s version.

He is, sort of. He played point at Alabama, and is expected to back up Cat this year. His sophomore numbers at Alabama were better than Lewis’s in almost every way except A/T ratio. But that probably balances out because he gets more blocks, steals, rebounds, and shoots a higher percentage from 3.

Just for reference….
    http://goo.gl/ir0hke

MP
    Participant

^ Who woulda thunk it… Tyler Lewis had 0 blocks last year.

Greywolf
    Participant

Would be nice to have $50Mil and a hot tub full of playmates.

Be careful. Left my 70 year old wife in the hot tub too long once and she came out all wrinkled.

I got lucky last weekend. Getting lucky for me is remembering what I came in the room for.

Football is kinda quiet. Not much to do but wait and see if the defense shows up. If it does, we got a real good chance at winning. If not, well… maybe we can get lucky. šŸ˜‰

Rick
    Keymaster

<div class=ā€d4p-bbt-quote-titleā€>Since74 wrote:</div>

Thought he was an SG. Either way Iā€™m very optimistic about our depth everywhere else. Canā€™t wait to see this yearā€™s version.

Supposedly Lacey left Al because he did not want to play PG but who knows.
    Baksetball has always been my favorite sport but I feel like the refs have inserted themselves into the game too much. It just seems like refs have more of an impact on the college bball game than they do on any other sport.

As for the Pack, here is what I think has to happen in order for us to be a good team.
    1) play defense. Since I have yet to see this done consistently I am not holding my breath
    2) Cat has to average 12 and 6
    3) Lacey need to average 13 with at least 36% from three
    4) Washington is 10 and 8
    5) KH (or the condor now that he has lost weight) needs to be effective for 20 minutes a game and be a defensive presence.

With Dez Lee’s vertical he should be called the cloud kicker.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Yep… it’s time to start “bouncing the balls”…

I see we’re picking up right where we left this last April….
    Might as well.. the rest of you guys are boring as hell this week…
    or… the Cat must have ya’ll’s tongues..
    ————————–

Cat has to average 12 and 6

I not even going to imagine what I think 12 and 6 could be…

I’ll just take this…
    ANTHONY has to average TWO and TWO…

As in TWO Turnovers per half
    AND TWO passes to and from his teammates BEFORE HE SHOOTS…
    unless it’s a legitimate 1 on 1 fastbreak layup….

If ANTHONY can do that… the rest will take care of itself…
    and he might earn the feline moniker….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Rick
    Keymaster

One other thing about cloud kicker. It surprises me he has that much of a vertical because he does not really use it to his advantage. That is world class jumping but his style of play does not seem to exploit that tremendous advantage.

Rick
    Keymaster

4 TOs a game would be pretty hard to overcome. IMO it would be two a game.

redisgood
    Participant

In addition to not wanting to be the team’s primary point guard, Lacey wanted to play in a more up tempo offense. He averaged nearly 12 a game in Alabama’s plodding style of play, so I’m guessing he will get at least that here, but I’m putting him at 15 a game.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Just to be clear, I don’t think Lacey’s primary responsibility will be as a PG. He’ll just slide over to point to spell Cat for a few minutes every now and then.

Texpack
    Participant

Get the ball inside and get the heck out of the way. Anya, Abu, Frenchie, and Washington are going to have the rest of the ACC laying awake at night. This will be a season to remember.

redisgood
    Participant

I watched ā€œThrowback With The Packā€ last Friday. A lot of people seemed to be concerned with the offense in the scrimmage, but it was just a scrimmage. My main takeaway is I have not seen a Wolfpack basketball team play defense like that in a long, long, time. These guys all get after it. Beejay, Dez, the Martins, Abu, Cat. They are all great defenders. Also, Kyle Washington is a star in the making. He showed Friday he can do it all, on both sides of the ball. These guys are all super athletic. I have no concern whatsoever about them scoring points, and their defense is going to be a huge differentiator from previous Gottfried teams.

I saw there is a ā€œsecretā€ scrimmage scheduled against Georgia on Saturday, November 1 in Charlotte. I have no idea why the NCAA keeps up this stupid pretense of secrecy for these scrimmages. Iā€™m sure guys will be secretly tweeting updates throughout.

nav
    Participant

I agree that scrimmages, against your own team, mean as little as the 4th NFL preseason game, but the offense didn’t look the best. Granted, I only caught part of game. I saw one of the Martin twins make some nice plays though on D.

nav
    Participant

No matter what, I’m sure as hell ready for BB season. Gives me something to be hopeful for. At this point in the FB season, I’ve given up caring if we win any more games. Our D royally sucks. Though I’m hoping we do win, I won’t lose any sleep either way except for the UNC game.

tjfoose1
    Participant

I have no idea why the NCAA keeps up this stupid pretense of secrecy for these scrimmages.

The same root reason they keep up the pretenses of integrity, fairness, and equality.

Texpack
    Participant

I’ve seen several comments referring to an improved Dez Lee. The ACC has had a long line of JUCO players who struggled in year one before flourishing in year two. Let’s hope Dez joins that group.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.