CBS Infographic: Upsets by round

Home Forums StateFans Basketball CBS Infographic: Upsets by round

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

Love this from CBS.

When the Round of 64 begins Thursday, the metrics say that if the form of the past half-decade holds, there will be somewhere in the vicinity of 10 occasions where the worse-seeded team (9 or worse) beats the better-seeded team (8 or better).

Upsets

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

And I of course pick the wrong ones every time.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I like this site that gives winning percentages versus seed

http://mcubed.net/ncaab/seeds.shtml

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Ok…

if I’m reading this chart right… there were…

2013, 2011, 2010 – 20 upsets
    2012 – 17 upsets

I don’t remember while sitting in Harrelson Hall hearing of a “statistic” named “in the vicinity of”…
    It looks like to me that over the last four years the average number of upsets was round_down(77 / 4) = 19.
    …or am I just stupid?

I guess if you’d give J$FF G##dm&n a job… you might also consider 19 to be “in the vicinity of” 10…

—————–

Of more interest perhaps…

There are 63 games played in the tournament not including the play-in games…

19 / 63 = 30.2% totally random chance of an “upset”… over the last four years…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Wufpacker
    Participant

I don’t remember while sitting in Harrelson Hall hearing of a “statistic” named “in the vicinity of”…
    It looks like to me that over the last four years the average number of upsets was round_down(77 / 4) = 19.
    …or am I just stupid?

Poorly worded to be sure, but my take was that the “in the vicinity of 10” was referring to the first round second round round of friggin’ 64 only.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Wufpacker… if you put it that way… it appears that you “are in the vicinity” of correctly guessing the author’s intent….

Bunch of Dumb$A$$ kids and their English skills… this one probably has a journalism degree… but you can’t blame the kids…

Whose the Editor on this Team?

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    dthompson44
    Participant

Who’s

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.