Inconsistent Wolfpack Falls Flat In Littlejohn: Clemson 73 – NC State 56

Home Forums All StateFansNation Inconsistent Wolfpack Falls Flat In Littlejohn: Clemson 73 – NC State 56

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Having quality 4 year players consistently on the team means you can build for long term success.

How did that work for Gary Williams?

Pack85EE
    Participant

SeaWolf thanks for that. I heard the Anthony got slammed with negative tweets after the Cuse game. If I didn’t read this site I would say it was UNC fans trying to wear him out. But I know what kind of poor mouthing comes up on this site.
    This team is on the right track and Gott is building the program back. Anya in his 4th year will be stronger that V is. Washington looks to be very good by next year. Tyler has improved, Cat has stumbled but the talent is there. This is a patch work team of young guys, transfers a superstar and a 5th year. We talked at the beginning of they year of likely hood of making it and this team is actually in better shape than the prognosticators predicted. A couple of breaks and we would be solidly in.
    Yea, we now need to win 5 in a row – not likely, or win 4 of 5 and win Thur and Fri (against a very good team) not likely just to get to the up side of the bubble. I’ll be pulling for us to the bitter end but yes, the fat lady is warming up and doing vocal exercises as we speak. And there is always the ACC Tourney. One day a team will win playing 4 games.

Pack85EE
    Participant

VaWolf, do you mean Gary William did a good job or didn’t?

Pack85EE
    Participant

Maryland won a National Championship and I don’t know how many times I have heard announcers in the last two weeks talk about how the Duke/Maryland rivalry was one of the best in NCAA Basketball.

They did decline some. It’s a hard business.

Pack1997
    Participant

I get what your saying VA but Williams also refused to recruit AAU. He became his own worst nightmare as he didn’t change the way he recruited to follow the times. Don’t get me worng I don’t want all 4 year role players. But I also know the quality programs (outside Kentucky) typically have 2-3 starters who are juniors and seniors. They have played enough games to have gotten better, learn their systems, etc. Couple that with one or two really good freshman on a consistent basis and you have your top tier team. We are recruiting solid basketball players that need time to develop. The majority of player son this team have gotten considerably better since the start of the season. Hell Anya can make it up and down the floor repeatedly!!! I see us getting better especially with three big men who will develop considerably between now and next year. We are all entitled to our opinions but I clearly see this program headed in the right direction.

Although, I would like Cat to stop dribbling around so much and run the offense!!!!

Hawkeye Whitney
    Participant

Big time college basketball in 2014 means you have to be able to shoot the three ball to compete. If you could bring back any player from last season and add to this season’s roster, who would it be? I contend that any choice other than Scott Wood would be wrong (with apologies to Richard Howell). Add someone who can consistently ring them up three at a time, and we are an NCAA team. Period.

I looked up this season’s NCAA team 3pt Field Goal Percentage. The Pack ranks 334 out of 351 teams. That won’t get you in the dance.

BJD95
    Keymaster

This team needs a slasher that can score primarily (but is also at least capable from three). In short, Des is our only option that way and he is in a slump.

Secondarily, we need a PG that is at least adequate on offense and defense (since we can’t line change, hockey-style). Or at least one that can play offense against zones (as only WBS can) and man pressure (as really nobody on the roster can, since Cat’s slump).

I have no idea on why the roster needs two Scott Woods.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Maryland won a National Championship…
    They did decline some. It’s a hard business.

In other words, there is no such thing as building for long-term success. You have to have great recruiting every year and then hope for the right mix to have some great teams. (The select few can stop at “great recruiting every year”.)

BJD always says that hope is not a plan, but in this instance you don’t have any choice (other than the select few). You either hope that you can coach up some kids, you hope that you found some diamonds in the rough (like Dixon and Blake), you hope that your top kids stay around long enough to accomplish something, or you hope your freshman can play beyond their years.

JohnGalt78
    Participant

Best wishes for the balance of the season: Crush Holes, twice. Don’t care what else happens at this point. Yes, shortsighted and selfish. But damn, when it’s all said and done it’d be nice to have f’d up the Cheat’s season/seeding. The cheatin’ rat bastards. They make me sick. Crying ass coach pouts when he gets caught cheating. Have ya heard from him lately? Nope….’cause they are winning. Let em lose one or two and that will start up again. “Hardest thing I’ve ever faced….them saying our boys can’t read or write…just makes me hurt for them….and it’s so dagum unfair…they all get A’s in the school of hard knocks anyway, right?….ya hang your coat on hookers, that’s all I know ’bout any hookers….Fat’s who?…I never thought Tami was a MILF, but hey, money is money…I find guns on the side of the road all the time….and I have a weely, weely bad cold….cant you see I’m hurtin here?!…ya’ll are so mean….I always thought the speed limit should be 100 anyway….and everybody else cheats….look at all our pretty banners….blah, blah, blah”. The F’ing Carolina Way!

Whatever….sometimes it just builds up and I have to crap it out….

My step daughter said it best when, upon catching her young daughter smacking a playmate resulting in said culprit beginning to weep, told her: “you don’t get to cry when you’re the one being bad”. That would make a great bumper sticker.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Forgot one hope

You have to hope that the 4-year kid stays around instead of transferring for immediate playing time.

pakfanistan
    Participant

We haven’t had many players transferring for playing time.

Davis, Painter, Harris and Raymond are all I can think of recently. Raymond and Harris are guys I don’t think we really miss. I do admit I would love to have Davis this year. T__T

Pack85EE
    Participant

I would not say Painter transferred for playing time. Unless he used his family’s health as an excuse and I would not put that on him. But Purvis did. For PG PT.

We do have a solid 2 guard waiting in the wings, and Dez should be a bit better next year. But I’m not sure how much WSW (the real deal) would have helped us. His game was an issue last year when he couldn’t get open. What we need are multiple 3 point threats. Warren seems to have improved his 3 lately. We have turner. We need Cat, Tyler and Dez to all get better (Now, for this late run!). And maybe next year Washington can extend his range. You need at least 3 guys that are real threat from 3.

ryebread
    Participant

Disappointing. Not surprising.

That about sums it up. I was watching on recording and ended up just skipping 2/3rds of the game. The outcome was obvious fairly early.

We got screwed against Syracuse, but this one is totally on us. That was a must-win game and we didn’t even show up.

Tip of the hat to Clemson though. They knew we were mentally fragile, came out playing some tough defense and took one.

While I thought Brownell was a goner due to recruiting, he may actually make it. This Clemson team is the best one since Purnell left.

pakfanistan
    Participant

I don’t really count Purvis because he would have played a LOT this year, just not PG. He got a chance to run point last year, and he sucked.

Everything I’ve seen about Painter said the story behind moving for family was he wanted to play more.

Ransompack
    Participant

Stick a fork in Gottfried and Yow – they’re done.

BJD95
    Keymaster

It’s a very Purnell-ish team, to boot.

Hawkeye Whitney
    Participant

BJD,

Two Scott Woods would be a huge improvement. If there is even one Scott Wood wannabe on our team right now, I wish you would call Gott and tell him to get his a** up off the bench because I haven’t seen him at all this season. (Wood’s 3 point FGP last season was .443. Turner’s is .384 this season). And does Buckets not qualify as a “slasher that can score”? (along with his other offensive talents)

If we had real outside threats, the court would open up some for our bigs and it wouldn’t be so painful to watch us try to make up any signifcant deficit.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Two outside shooters would be nice, but one should have a broader skill set than “just a shooter.”

john of sparta
    Participant

SeaWolf…disagree. they are not “kids”.
    they are spoiled, true. but after 18,
    it’s up to YOU.
    ransompack…you must have ESPn, too.
    i agree, it’s done. AD anyone?

WeAreCured
    Participant

So a loss to a good defensive Clemson team in a game that 99% thought we would lose, 72 hours and 850 some odd miles after a heartbreaking loss to the #1 team in the nation, warrants the firing of the coach and AD? Y’all are nuts.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Cuse just lost to BC at home. Wow.

WeAreCured
    Participant

Cuse just lost to BC at home. Wow.

Ipso facto, State is worse than BC. Fire everyone!

wolfpackdawg
    Participant

Look at this team. They don’t play D consistently if at all. FT % sucks. What do they do in practice? No discipline. I watched some of the San Diego state game last night #6 in the country with Josh Davis starting…they full court pressed lots in the 1st half. Great coached
    team.

Since74
    Participant

Sea Wolf – agree with everything you said and think that anyone who skimmed lightly over those remarks should reread them. I’ve also often hoped the players didn’t read this site (at least after a loss). Without more transfers I think this team is looking good in the next couple of years.

John Galt – best rant I’ve read in awhile.

Add Thomas DeThaey to the list of transfers.

I don’t remember who said it, but before the season started someone posted about how due to the inexperience of this team we could expect some great games and some wtf games and the tourney would be icing if it happened. I agreed with that then and used it to temper my expectations of this season. That being said I’ve really enjoyed watching this team grow and expect that as they find confidence we’ll have a really good looking team.

Since74
    Participant

Regarding point guard play, maybe Javi can come back and coach ’em up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0mNpMiSPjs

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.