Illinois State Coach Tweets Looking for Games

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Illinois State Coach Tweets Looking for Games

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

Illinois State men’s basketball coach Dan Muller is clearly displeased with the selection committee’s decision to leave his team out of the NCAA tournament field, and he has taken to Twitter to vent his frustration.

Illinois State finished 27-6 overall and 17-1 in the Missouri Valley, but the Redbirds couldn’t get past Wichita State in the conference tournament final. The Shockers earned the league’s automatic bid, and the committee declined to award the Redbirds with an at-large spot.

After Illinois State knew its tournament hopes were dashed Sunday, players and coaches were quick to vent their feelings about being snubbed.

“I’m pretty upset, mad-slash-sad, shocked,” said Missouri Valley Player of the Year Paris Lee, according to the Chicago Tribune. “Everybody in that locker room is human. Everybody is hurt.”

But Muller’s tweet goes to the heart of the issue for many mid-major teams. The committee frequently denies at-large bids to teams in non-Power 5 conferences, citing their nonconference schedules as the biggest roadblock. As Muller’s tweet indicates, many Power 5 schools refuse to schedule games with quality mid-majors. They don’t need the games to puff up their NCAA résumés and fear that a loss would hurt them.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18898709/dan-muller-illinois-state-redbirds-coach-tweets-search-power-5-opponents

StateRed44
    Participant

Home and home games? No chance.

BassPacker
    Participant

Well, he didn’t do himself any flavours’ with that tweet. Asking for a home on home stance bad ehough. Then declaring to any takers it will be a QAULITY Win for HIS program isn’t exactly inviting to any Power 5 opponent.

freshmanin83
    Participant

I thought it was the other way Bass. I thought he was saying it would be a quality road win for the other team going to his place to try and sell the home and home and that is why he gave his teams RPI.

Wulfpack
    Participant

That is the way I read it, freshman. Whatever the case, it just serves as more evidence that some mid majors can’t schedule good competition.

StateRed44
    Participant

^not for a home and home. He may get a bite to travel somewhere, that’s up to him and his school.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.