Illinois game thread

Home Forums All StateFansNation Illinois game thread

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 159 total)
  • Author
    tractor57
    Participant

I have not given up but there is work to do. First forget the press clippings. Do the work, learn the college game and grow.

rbwolfpack
    Participant

These team is not as good as last year. Sorry we are worthless. Next to last in acc is the best we do

MrPlywood
    Participant

I think DSJ is carrying his clippings in his back pocket, they’re weighing him down.

tractor57
    Participant

Oh and flash just crashed – wish it had an hour ago.

jay95
    Participant

Disappointed as usual. Illini with “you guys suck” chant, can’t argue with them

Class of 95

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

GAME OVER….

Smoke if you GOTT ’em…

PACK over it’s head tonight…

Oh well… we GOTT a lot of BBall left between now and March…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    jay95
    Participant

We will get absolutely killed in ACC play

Class of 95

rbwolfpack
    Participant

Hype hype hype and that is all we are

tractor57
    Participant

This team can be good but part of that is wanting to be good and putting in the work to be good. Will it happen? Maybe.

rbwolfpack
    Participant

Well I think I just watched my last game for this team. Hope the best for them but see it is last year all over.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

a lot of ‘one and done’ guys around here tonight…
    they must be young…

we might need to show these kids a little patience instead of panic…
    that’s what they need too… patience instead of panic..

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    rbwolfpack
    Participant

Yeah I think Kentucky has some of them one and done’s to. But they dont look this BAD. SORRY ITS OVER FOR ME
    FOR YOU THAT ARE HOLDING ON GOOD
    LUCK

tractor57
    Participant

Part of the allure to the basketball season is to watch a team develop. I see some really talented parts but not yet a team. Maybe by conference season things will be more team like.

wolfmanmat
    Participant

We need Maverick back and Yurt back. Once this happens, then judge this team. Right now we have 6 guys who can play and play hard. BJ is just too big to count. The smith, dorn, Henderson, kapita Abu Johnson team is solid. But not winning with 6 guys against a big 10 team on the road.

wolfmanmat
    Participant

One other thing to keep in mind is experience. We have 1 player from last year’s team who plays (abu). That’s it until maverick is back. It takes time for 6 new guys to gel. Talent is there

PackofMac
    Participant

First and the most obvious, this game nor the other non conference pre conference games mean crap as it relates to how many wins losses we will have in conference play. If we play a school larger than your local community college during the pre conference schedule we will lose.

Dennis Smith Jr is good, and that boy knows it. I haven’t seen a player bark and scowl at others like he does in a long time, now for due reason, he’s just learning the frustration of being associated with NC State athletics.

I can not believe how piss poor we are rebounding the ball and I can not believe King Hippo is exactly that. This is the same ole’ dog and pony Gottfried show, no defense, horrible base line plays and bewildered what the f*ck out of time out plays. I was really hopeful Kapita would have a big impact, and I think he will in time. We are just missing another big who can actually play. From what I saw in the two pre-season games, Yurt will be nothing more than someone to absorb some fouls.

We are NC State, yay

Rick
    Keymaster

Part of the allure to the basketball season is to watch a team develop. I see some really talented parts but not yet a team. Maybe by conference season things will be more team like.

I agree it is fun to watch a team develop but the problem is we seem to start from scratch every year so it is a long row to hoe. We should not be this bad at the start of every season.
    Lather rinse repeat.

Rick
    Keymaster

One other thing to keep in mind is experience. We have 1 player from last year’s team who plays (abu). That’s it until maverick is back. It takes time for 6 new guys to gel. Talent is there

If a coach can’t keep his players he better be good at integrating new players.

Have you noticed this same complaint every year?

Rick
    Keymaster

BTW glad I could not watch it and went to bed early.

BassPacker
    Participant

Hard to be patient after what we saw last nite. I think the game against Loyola was the writing on the wall. Throw in a dismal football season with all the preseason hype for basketball, its proven to be like the morning after a bottle of Mezcal, once we drank it, all we got was a worm and hangover.

I still have hope but its not gonna get easier with ACC play so any OOC loss is huge. Yes, we are young and missing two key (hopefully) role players. They can help but they could make this team spiral into the empty Mezcal bottle of despair. There will be chemistry issues, and playing time issues once they return. If losing continues, bet there will be unrest amongst the players and bench. Finger pointing will happen and Gott will have his hands full keeping the team happy. We have gone from a short bench last season to too many this season. Winning cures all. I just hope it happens more soon. If not, this could turn out to be disaster on and off the court. Big young egos and losing are not a receipe for success.

rbwolfpack
    Participant

Guys it is over already this season we will not win as many games as we did last year. 11/30/2016 mark it down I wrote this cause these team does not have the heart laat years team did. Sorry it is just so disheartening beening a fan. Hopeful every season just to be let down over and over

Will NCSU
    Participant

At least we are way better at shooting free throws…

choppack1
    Participant

When I turned in we were 6-8 with about 10 minutes left. I can’t say that I regret that decision. 5:00 am comes early and the exercise, unlike this, is actually rewarding.

Don’t know why we expect the movie to change – different actors but the same director and apparently same script.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Fortunately the need for a cat nap overcame the need for more pain and agony….so I dozed off and caught the score later.

BB, I think, is easier to Arm Chair Coach than FB as you only have 5 players to watch.

If you look at the raw box score, we should have won. Both teams shot 50% or so and 38% from the 3 Pt Arc. We hit 92% from the line and they only hit 80%. Why did we lose….they went to the line 26 times and we only went to the line 13. BJ played 6 minutes, had 3 PF and 2 TO. I rest my case….

Comments

>BJ is totally ineffective this year. Not as bad his Sophomore year, but certainly not a good as he was last year. He needs combo GPS and Sensory tracking arm bands with the wireless Ball Shocker. If he goes into a Mickey D’s….and if he reaches for fat or fast food, the bands detect is and trigger the Ball Shocker. Need to create a Pavlovian response so he does NOT eat…

>Smith. Great talent. Plays well. Needs Maturity. His ball handling, to me, looks a bit sloppy. He seems to have a wider envelope of sphere when he dribbles….which probably allows him to make moves. He looks like he keeps the ball further out and his arms are more extended. That gives more “pickpocket” room and also when he cross dribbles, the distance is greater. Needs to know when to PASS to help us score.

>Abu. Still improving. Seems to take a while to get “in his groove”. Great potential.

>Kapita. A bit foul prone. He set a bar too high in his one exhibition game. He really does have talent and showed that he can score and rebound. I hope that he continues to develop and I think he will be one of the “keys to the game” points in the future. Seems to be a bit of a whiner in that he never committed the fouls….but I was not on the court. Needs to let go of fouls or misses and focus on learning from that play and improving.

>Henderson. Raw shooting talent. He SHOULD mature more quickly than the rest. He has been off the court for two years. Not amount of practice against folks that you “know” is equal to real, diversified, game experience. Needs to keep his confidence up and grow.

>Johnson. Probably one of the bright spots. A defensive tiger. Smith needs to make sure that he does NOT view Johnson as competition, but as a teammate.

>Kirk, Hicks, et. al. A little too early. Kirk was not much of a contributor last year. He shows promise….hope that he gets enough PT (where he is EFFECTIVE) to get a good rotation…otherwise, he may pull a Martin Twins move.

>Maverick. Was in the PNC when he got popped. Really am concerned about him. Want him to heal and come back @ 100% and not be pushed. However, he still needs to get game experience. We obviously need his perimeter shooting.

>Dorin. He continues to improve. Falls into the Henderson category. Will take at least the month of December to get his “game legs and persona”. He will be fun to watch.

>Y7. Do not, based on 2 Exhb games think that he will be a contender this year. However, if he resists the $$ and bling, he will be solid next year. He will definitely be WAY BEHIND thanks to the NCAA’s idiotic logic. Developmental wise, he will only do about 60% of that this year….he may get some quality minutes and we certainly need his height….at least he can jump and run instead of stretch and lumber.

>Gottfried. The team has no continuity. There is a synergistic flow of the game….if you are hot offensively, you have more confidence on defense and it shows. Now, it DOES take more energy to play aggressive defense than to score. It seems to me that we have flashes of brilliance on both ends. However, we are also suffer (and it shows quickly) from UNDER CONFIDENCE. If we miss a sure score, we tend to “replay” that and need to FORGET IT when we cross midcourt. It goes both ways…..we let a bad play on one end mess with our psyche on the other end.

When we function as a team….and there have been (as always) stretches where we looked that well oiled, mean, lean machine, we are totally awesome. Probelmatico…as my Mexican Plant Manager would say when I came up with a brilliant scheme….

We only seem to do that when there is little competition. Thus, when we play a team that is of the same skill set as our scout squad, we are brilliant.

Overall, we should, I think, have had a better showing last night. I do NOT think that with the talent that is available, we should have lost that game. Maverick adds another punch or facet….but we have a lot of tools in the box that we either under utilized or did not use.

Defense is STILL our Achilles heel. My DW said….”we look like every other Gottfried team”

Texpack
    Participant

Dennis Smith Jr is good, and that boy knows it. I haven’t seen a player bark and scowl at others like he does in a long time, now for due reason, he’s just learning the frustration of being associated with NC State athletics.

Your definition of good and my definition of good are obviously very different. DSJ is physically talented. To be good, particularly as a PG, you have to have court awareness and game awareness. DSJ has precious little of either. Markell Johnson is a far superior PG and floor leader at this point. He also made some youthful mistakes last night, but there is a reason Smith looks so much better playing off the ball with MJ in the game.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 159 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.