ICYMI: Coach Gottfried pays homage to Norm Sloan

Home Forums All StateFansNation ICYMI: Coach Gottfried pays homage to Norm Sloan

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

I liked this touch to the “Throwback with the Pack” event on Friday night and just thought I would share. (There is more below.) Loading . @mark_gottf
    [See the full post at: ICYMI: Coach Gottfried pays homage to Norm Sloan]

PackerInRussia
    Participant

I hate that we live in a time when my temperature rises and I expect the worse as I read “Coach Gottfried pays…” Glad he’s just paying homage 🙂 Hopefully we see that suit on the sideline this year.

PapaJohn
    Participant

Thanks for posting this – I’m really surprised Gott did that. That is great! Feels like he is really becoming part of the family.
    Love the legends game, love to see Vinnie come back and challenge the team.
    Sounds like it was a great night, sorry I didn’t go.

ryebread
    Participant

Wimp Sanderson used to wear them at Alabama as well. I couldn’t find the pictures, but I seem to remember Gott wore those sometimes at Alabama. It was probably a nod to Wimp. I think Gott’s comfortable with that look.

While we’re in no way looking, and have already tried the NBA route, I think Vinny would be a great coach one day. I thought he did decently well with the Clippers.

Gowolves
    Participant

While our local radio sports dork who MC’d the event still continues to wear his members only jacket from the 80’s.

PapaJohn
    Participant

Gowolves – That is the kind money those guys earn.(and deserve) He’ll be wearing that jacket for quite a while.

Heard Lacey was underwhelming in the scrimmage. Not a good sign, he needs to give us double digits every night for us to be good. I know it is early, but worrisome.

nav
    Participant

^^Well, it was “Throwback with the Pack” event. The Members Only jacket kinda was planned to honor the event. Not defending him, just sayin’.

Fastback68
    Participant

There are many ways to pay homage to the past. One of my favorites would be for Gott and company to win it all. Nice suit by the way. Go Pack!!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… nice try Coach… but your plaid jacket looks like something a banker would wear compared to the ‘original’ worn by Stormin Norman… back in the early 70’s..

and of course… Sloan’s had a “Nowell’s” label inside….

I’m not fussing.. it’s all good…
    I just don’t want the Pups to be misinformed….

Now the better question is…
    “Did Mrs. GOTT get her a bufabulous beehive and throwback a tune or two… Friday night?? ”

You just can’t throw some back without throwing ’em all back…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    ryebread
    Participant

bill: That might be an awkward question.

Papajohn: I’m happy to give a run down of my thoughts if that is helpful. With that and a buck, you might be able to buy a cup of coffee at McDonald’s.

Since74
    Participant

ICYMI? Little help please.

… and while we’re at it, what does the string of 5 or 7 or 13 initials associated with Sendek stand for?

Thanks

freshmanin83
    Participant

I can’t yodel Myocardial Infarction?

wufpup76
    Keymaster

ICYMI? Little help please.

… and while we’re at it, what does the string of 5 or 7 or 13 initials associated with Sendek stand for?

Thanks

‘ICYMI’: In Case You Missed It

‘HWSNBN’: He Who Shall Not Be Named … though I think this moniker is pretty much out to pasture. This was used primarily due to the Seth Davis-es of the word who would champion Sendek while running down NC State simultaneously at every given opportunity. Now that we’ve been to three straight NCAA’s, more time has passed, and Sendek is poorly thought of by a large contingent of the ASU fanbase you don’t see Sendek or the ‘HWSNBN’ moniker tossed out all that much.

Obligatory though: ‘Herb Sendek has withdrawn his name for consideration of the title of Supreme Commander of the Universe.’

Since74
    Participant

Thanks wufpup. Pretty funny. Always suspected the H and the S were actual initials as in BMFD.

Also glad we’re not talking about him enough to need the moniker anymore, but glad to be let in on it before it’s extinct.

ryebread
    Participant

I still use the moniker for HWSNBN. He was so divisive, that he doesn’t deserve his name even spoken.

I was a student at NC State when Les was there, and then when HWSNBN was hired. We had paid our penance with Les. He’d taken one for the team and navigated through one of the most difficult situations anyone could. It was time to hire a winner. Campus buzzed at names like Pitino and Calipari. Then we got HWSNBN and Florida got Billy Donovan. Which one came out the clear winner there?

That man has more to do with NC State’s current second class position in basketball than anyone directly related to the basketball program. He Fowler, Turner, the administration above them, and all the fluffers that propped him up have collectively blown us off the map. If we ever get back to the V days, I will be shocked.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

That man [Herb] has more to do with NC State’s current second class position in basketball than anyone directly related to the basketball program. He Fowler, Turner, the administration above them, and all the fluffers that propped him up have collectively blown us off the map.

I think that Herb did the best job that he knew how to do. So I don’t blame him for anything.

The issues during the Les-era were self-imposed. The fact that Herb was kept after having a losing record in year 5(?) was also self-imposed. So our position as “inconsequential” in college basketball is strictly a function of incompetent management of the university and athletic department for two decades.

Since74
    Participant

Seems I got us off topic and renewed the usefulness of the moniker …. Oops!

john of sparta
    Participant

Gott’s wife MUST sing!
    Norm’s did. Homage?

rthomas44
    Participant

Self imposed by Monteith? Was that the name of the Faculty chairman that got V fired? I was at State when Norm went undefeated in ’73. What a machine the team was that year!

Icabod61
    Participant

Larry K. Monteith. went on to become chancellor. in my opinion he did more than any of the other names mentioned in harming athletics at NCSU.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.