How to Repair CFB Officiating (according to the officials themselves)

Home Forums StateFans Football How to Repair CFB Officiating (according to the officials themselves)

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Wufpacker
    Participant

I thought this was a pretty interesting article, not to mention very topical. It’s fairly long, but here’s a couple quotes which caught my attention:

One veteran official from a Power Five conference, who wished to remain anonymous, said there are deep and systemic officiating problems in college football that need to be addressed.

“The accountability for officials is messed up,” the official said. “Sometimes you get a high level of accountability for things you really don’t deserve, and sometimes you have no accountability for things that deserve it. It’s really not handled well from league to league, from incident to incident.

“You can see across the grid those officials who are in it for the right reasons and those who aren’t. Our evaluation process is all over the map. It’s really not that good. It appears accountability tends to rest in the eyes of how big (a mistake) gets publicly rather than doing what most organizations say and that is just say, ‘This is what we expect.’”

The vast majority of college football replay officials are ex-referees. Carollo questions if these are necessarily the right people reviewing calls upstairs.

“I think my last five replay hires are lawyers,” Carollo said. “They’re really smart people. (Replay officials) have to be really smart and understand the rules. I think we can get much better people up there. I’ve got a 24-year-old guy working Division I replay who has never officiated before and he’s one of my top replay guys.”

McAulay said one of the biggest problems with replay is how little training exists to determine who is good and who is bad at reviewing calls. McAulay has pushed for years to have the on-field referee — often considered the best official in a crew — to make the replay decisions.

There was some satisfaction from the public when the ACC suspended the entire Miami-Duke officiating crew and replay officials for two games due to mistakes they made on the Hurricanes’ winning touchdown. But within the officiating community, there is deep concern about suspensions.

“We do this all the time where we suspend an entire crew for something one or two people are responsible for doing,” the Power Five official said. “There were people who were suspended who had nothing to do with it, yet they sit for a week for something someone on their crew did. If a player or coach does something wrong, the entire team doesn’t sit.”

TheCOWDOG

Officials have asignments much like a team playing zone D. How about sticking to that,to begin with.

Nothing funnier than flags flying in unison after the initial one is pulled, and nothing more disconcerting than the one coming from right field, with the ones responsible for the area keep it in the pocket.

Las Vegas Showgirls dance on turf, too.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Refereeing is a good old boys network. The evaluation process is just like he says, crap.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Las Vegas Showgirls dance on turf, too.

Yup. Reading b/w the lines, the unidentified Power Five official seems to be pretty much saying that exact thing in fact. Among other things.

choppack1
    Participant

Cowdog – that’s a great point that no one ever makes. Whether it’s the right call or not the “railroad” call should result in suspension.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.