How to fire someone

Home Forums All StateFansNation How to fire someone

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    McCallum
    Participant

It is something most people deal with so I’d like Aliastroll to help me give stupid State a lesson on how to terminate someone.

Troll, can you walk into my office?

McCallum

wirogers
    Participant

‘walk into my office’- you are too nice and professional. The last firing I got to observe was by one of my needless to say more ‘interesting’ client. He lifted the farm 2-way to his mouth, called the employees name, told the SOB to get out of his truck, leave the keys in the seat, and get the F off his farm. He followed it up with comments on what he would do to said SOB if he damaged the truck or lost the keys. Just take his worthless bumm off of his farm and it would be called even.

That is the way to fire someone.

Gott should have walked from Winston back to Raleigh!!!!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

I like the old farmer, face to face. way… never burn a bridge when you live in the same neighborhood…

“Son, I ain’t gonna need you tomorrow….”

Nothing more, nothing less…

——————–
    Why are you firing me?

I’m not “firing” you…. I just ain’t gonna need you tomorrow… or the day after…

Well, ok, but I need to work… when you gonna need me…

I don’t know… I’ll call you and let you know… Next Monday, at the latest….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Adventuroo
    Participant

Maybe it goes like this….

Mark, going to be in the area towards the end of the week. Want to have lunch with you. Annabelle and her covey of attorneys are traveling with us and will be there. Do you have a favorite restaurant?

Mark responded….. Yes, love to Deb. Jimmy V’s Osteria and let’s do an evening meal. Tony and Gary and their crew will be with me….

Bottom line, you call in HR and the Lawyers (if they are at another site). Then you take the accused out for lunch. When you come back, you are alone and you post the notice….”Johnny DoNothing, a fine and upstanding individual with a long and storied career of serving our fine organization has decided to make a career change and seek other business opportunities….”.

The old line was….They (Management) came to town. They took out the Plant Manager for Lunch on Friday and NEVER brought him back. I don’t have enough fingers and toes to count the times that happened….usually I knew in advance and understood WHAT was coming down.

One time in particular, one of our Managers attended a conference in Chicago. One of the Purchasing Agents, a really HOT looking Blonde, was at another conference in Rockford, Ill. When our Plant Manager turned in his expense report, he stayed 3 nights in his hotel, but stayed a few days afterwards and flew back when HER conference was over. The girls in accounting did NOT let that little item go unnoticed. They contacted the HR Folks in the Home Office….who then contacted US in the Division Office. The deed was done. There was NO reprieve or “Don’t do this again…”. He was summarily dismissed on Friday and had to explain to his wife and family WHY he was fired. He got a divorce about a year later and was last seen mowing yards driving a 20 year old truck with a 30 year old Craftsman lawn mower on a beat up trailer ….

McCallum
    Participant

You boys are messing up my firing of Aliastroll.

Where is the blonde now Adventure?

McCallum

gso packbacker
    Participant

Things were botched with the release. Can’t undo that so what do you do now? If someone doesn’t address the team and say something thenn this goes from bad to worse, to “worser”. 😉

This is about more than people’s feelings and plausible deniability at this point. How we hamdle this period is a DIRECT reflection of our Athletic Organization and WILL impact our ability to attract a coach.

tractor57
    Participant

Quoting Randy Meisner (ex of the Eagles) – “anyway bye bye”.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Not everybody will agree but I’ve rarely seen where ‘giving a notice’ or ‘termination on a future date’ worked out well for either party. I’m from the “when it’s time to go, it’s time to go” school of management…

Regardless, that’s not so much a case of right or wrong, but a management decision…. which makes it hard to say, the “University” “botched” this… As pointed out elsewhere, there’s nothing in the news report or the University statements that deny the Done Deal after the season is over OR the unofficial, back channel, quiet as possible, first steps of a search for a new coach…

The “University” is just handling it’s stakeholders and the media in the best way possible given the circumstances.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

“Yeah I’m calling about the job. I start work tomorrah”

“I’ll work circles around ya.”

~Frank Rizzo

gso packbacker
    Participant

Late night strategy session to handle potential blowback …

gso packbacker
    Participant
    rthomas44
    Participant

This discussion of being fired makes me glad that I have been self-employed for forty years.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant
    JeremyH
    Participant

this is like the Charlie Strong thing.. he hangs out as a lame duck until the end of the season. very sad.

wirogers
    Participant

I agree with ‘Bill.onthebeach’ once someone says they are done, they are done. Learned this the hard way with the last two employees who gave their ‘two week notice’; which was actually an ‘I really quit 2 months ago but decided to just let you know’ notice. New company policy, you give your two week notice, I pay you for those two weeks (minus everything I find you did wrong the last two months that I have to pay someone else to fix) and tell you to get out.

It is cheaper for me to pay them for the two weeks then to spend the next three months fixing everything they F-ed up because they really quit two months ago. I then also go back and look at the work over the last two months; usually I could just send them an invoice for all the work that had to be fixed and do not pay them the two weeks.

Gott has been not there for months.

McCallum
    Participant

I thought I’d make a parody of this but between the engineers, computer science majors and general dorks at State I have been reminded of the tremendous lack of literary skill coming out of Raleigh.

You are all FIRED.

Get the hell out.

McCallum

TheCOWDOG

F

On punctuation alone, Mr.McCallum, you may leave the classroom.

McCallum
    Participant

I missed one lousy comma.

You are FIRED tCD.

McCallum

highstick
    Participant

First person I ever fired was a female who was an incompetent carryover from my prior managing partner..Everyone knew it, but I gave her adequate conseling…She was “clueless”…But I did the late Friday afternoon deal and it took me over an hour to get her to understand it was “her” Nice gal, but very change resistant and that was not gonna happen!

When a competitor hired her, I got a big chuckle…

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

McCallum
    Participant

Was she hot?

McCallum

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Winston Hall 1972 — 1 missed comma is a C not a F…

Rogers… thanks… but it’s your fault if they quit 2 months earlier and nobody noticed…
    but you Gott one more thing right… Hold the last check and deduct the costs… and write the check for $1.00…

McCallum… in a class all his own….

Tommorrow night is gonna be “interesting” from seven different angles…

Pack78
    Participant

Thompkins Hall (IIRC) Fall 1974-Eng 112H GOTT a B and really a comeuppance about how much more rigorous college courses were going to be than the excellent prep I got in HS-prof told us on Day 1: ‘I am published, so don’t try to BS (she said the word) me..If you work hard in this class and pay attention, you will learn how to write!’ Next class, one guy checked it out in D H Hill…’oh, god, she’s in there!’. Back in the ABC-no credit days there were ~8 B’s, ~12 C’s, and ~8-9 NC’s…unlike unx, NO A’s.

Greywolf
    Participant

This discussion of being fired makes me glad that I have been self-employed for forty years.

Same here. Worst sumbitch I ever worked for. Worked twice the hours for half the pay. I had standards, though. Interviewed 3 candidates for every opening I had. Hiring decisions were easy. Always hired the one with the big tits. Made sure they looked as good going as they did coming.

MISTA WOLF
    Participant

Hate to see them go but love to watch them leave. Now we’re talking 🙂

tractor57
    Participant

“no cookies” – sort of sums up the MBB team this year – except maybe Anya.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.