HERE CHICKY CHICKY !!! Gameday !!!

Home Forums StateFans Football HERE CHICKY CHICKY !!! Gameday !!!

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 225 total)
  • Author
    WolftownVA81
    Participant

Just got back from the stadium. I haven’t read single post above. My observations:
    1. Kicking game is still a problem. I think we put it in the end zone once and the field goal miss speaks for itself.
    2. I give the punter props. He had some outstanding ones today that we didn’t capitalize on.
    3. Defensive secondary still seems to be a problem. I
    4. I was waiting to see this stellar defense all day and I think we only managed one or two sacks and they seemed to move the ball on us at will. We maybe got two or three stops all day?
    5. QB play was average. Missed a couple of wide open receivers when we really needed it.
    6. Offensive play calling we very un-inspired. The last two possessions it seemed like we weren’t willing to do anything special to win this game.
    7. Special teams – what can I say. That first touch down kind of took the wind out of our sails.
    8. Overall, it didn’t seem we were ready to play or especially up for this game. Can’t put my finger on it but even the lame “come see the players board the bus event” showed we didn’t take this game very seriously.
    9. I put out $150 for two tix and was expecting a lot more. Instead, we got a lot more of the same.
    10. If we can’t handle the bottom of the SEC, we are in trouble with the ACC schedule we have.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Dave should be fired for not rectifying the kicking game alone. Our margin for error is razor thin even with this senior laden experienced team. We absolutely cannot afford to not be able to collect “easy” 3 points and have opponents start from their own 25 after scores.

choppack1
    Participant

Funny – people say defensive secondary still a problem yet the 2 starters we lost were drafted. Geez. You think, maybe, just maybe, it’s the scheme.

I mean, if there is anything state has been able to do in the past, it’s pull the occasional shocker…but alas, 5 years into diamonds ru n we haven’t done that.

We may end up pulling this out of the ditch, but I suspect we are headed for 3-5 and more coaches blaming in on the kids not making plays.

pakfanistan
    Participant

I am disappointed by this outcome. And most disappointed because it did not surprise me.

Fastback68
    Participant

Do you think they will open the playbook more and more the closer to ACC play??

I’ve seen good coaches at NC State and I’ve seen some bad ones. I’ve not seen bad ones turn into good ones. DD talks a good coaching game but on the field nothing ever changes. Yes, Finley made some really good passes and several receivers made some outstanding catches (some by catching passes that were well off target), but run blocking was absent, and where in the hell was a pass rush by the D line? D secondary was as bad as usual…no, worse, and that’s saying something.Tackling under Doren has been gosh awful. Even worse today than usual. (U)SC had somebody to light a fire under them and they played like it. Under Doren, we/NCSU have not had that type of fire in the belly energy and effort for a complete game. Our second halves last year and today should tell anybody who’s paying attention that a good coach is not going to have his team taken to the woodshed by a team that comes out better prepared for the second half because of adjustments the other coach makes at halftime.

Yep, different year and groundhog day all over again. Woe is us.

WolftownVA81
    Participant

I’m not smart enough to know the source of our secondary issues – I just know we seem to perform every bit as poorly as last year. This team and coaches better dig deep. This was a winnable game and they are out of excuses.

freshmanin83
    Participant

Imo the qb played well enough to win for the Pack. I was disappointed in the o-line run blocking and the D. I thought they would be more disruptive and make more big plays. As mentioned special teams play and turnovers is really where the game turned.

Needed a break to go our way like that bobbled punt near the goal line to be a fumble but can’t depend on other teams mistakes to win.

ryebread
    Participant

Watched the game on tape delay, which was good. I can’t see allocating 3.5 hours of prime Saturday time to watch live, much less pay money to see a DD coached team in person. If that makes me a bad fan, then so be it.

– Pros: 2:1 in plays ran and total offense. Good rushing defense. Team didn’t quit. Outside of their #1 and QB play, I felt we were better at every position (we never saw their FG kicker).
    – Cons: Special teams are anything but special and that’s consistent under DD. Just can’t spot a team 10 points. Pretty untimely penalties, drops and turnovers. Wasn’t just the what but the how. Anyone else notice the head sets went back on the 3rd quarter? Pair that with some halftime adjustments and DD just got out coached by Will Muschamp. Let that sink in…..

I thought 8-4 (5-3). We can still make that. To do so means that ND just became a must win game. No pressure there. Just like we did last year, we put ourselves in a hole early. The season isn’t over but it is an uphill climb.

McCallum
    Participant

Just like we did last year, we put ourselves in a hole early. The season isn’t over but it is an uphill climb.

Ryebreads quote just caused me a stark realization: my academic career at State mirrored the football team as far a digging holes.

Could I have fired myself?

McCallum

tractor57
    Participant

I saw enough issues to blame the loss on so as to not call out one unit. Special teams had issues, secondary had issues, offensive turnovers. I also saw some corrections to most. The kicking game is still problematic but I’ll have to see more than one game to decide if a fatal flaw. Now yes if we were honestly in the hunt then the performance probably would have killed that but I suspect we all can agree that really was not realistic. South Carolina was probably a team about our level right now and it became a pick ’em game thanks to the mistakes. Good enough? No. Unexpected to have a close game? No. My big issue is how we seem to take a quarter off. Maybe that was because of quicker adjustments by the SC staff, maybe we simply came back out flat.

Fastback68
    Participant

3rd quarter is where pass outs/fans get the blame.

SaccoV
    Participant

Va Tech and UN* in 2015 are just two examples of complete absent quarters of football under Doeren. I don’t know how you can call yourself a decent coach when this seems to happen with regularity in ‘must-win’ games.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Being without Richardson on o-line hurts. Special teams, ick. I thought the secondary was competitive yesterday, at least gave us a chance.

But like chop say, scheme and philosophy are the bigger issues. Anybody notice that when we brought pressure from corner and safety or rover spots, we had a lot of success. IMO, Hux is too vanilla, possibly at the head mans direction, waiting to blit until we get backed into a corner, or poorly disguised blitzes. Nobody in their right mind will try to run into the teeth of that line. But we’re not good enough still in back 7 to chase receivers, especially an all conference SEC

Even with 10 catches, Harmon wasn’t targeted enough with 60+ throws. They had no answer for him. And Finley has improved but we still don’t utilize the middle of the field

Wolfanatic
    Participant

this sickens me….

rthomas44
    Participant

IMHO this game is summed up in 2 plays, the starting KO and the missed FG. Both special teams.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

Is that a dark horse I see? Oh, wait, it’s just the same old mule that’s always been standing there?

Tau837
    Participant

Pros: 2:1 in plays ran and total offense

This wasn’t really a pro. SC scored on a kickoff return, and thus had no plays or total offense on the drive that should have been, and they took over on short fields twice and scored TDs, which held down their number of plays and total offense. Yards per play were similar for both teams.

Despite all of the issues (i.e., kickoff return TD, missed FG, 2 fumbles), we were in the game and should have tied it at 35. On the second to last drive, there were 2 officiating errors and JaySam dropped a pass that would have gone for a first down, all leading to a turnover on downs. Had those things not happened, would we have scored? Maybe.

On the last drive, Meyers dropped a perfectly placed pass that would have had us at about the SC 33 or so with 2:44 remaining. Instead, we had to burn more than another minute to reach that field position. Without the drop, maybe that extra time would have made the difference. As it was, by the team we reached the red zone, some plays were rushed with the clock running, and running was basically off the table. Again, would we have scored with more time? Maybe.

I don’t really see any coaching errors in those two situations. Players failed to make a couple of plays they should have made, and officials failed to make a couple of calls they should have made. Those things may have made the difference despite everything else.

I thought 8-4 (5-3). We can still make that. To do so means that ND just became a must win game. No pressure there. Just like we did last year, we put ourselves in a hole early. The season isn’t over but it is an uphill climb.

I agree with this. If this team is who we thought (hoped) they were, we will go 8-3 from here.

PackofMac
    Participant

This team has zero chance going to South Bend and leaving with a W. If the Irish hadn’t been complete idiots and attempted god knows how many passes in a all out hurricane (sat through that crap) we likely wouldn’t have won that one. This game is what we needed to change our attitude and finally move foward. We lost and lost in a way too familiar fashon. Not a damn thing has changed, nothing. Missed calls….whatever, play calling was as someone else said, uninspired. Dual threat QB who could’ve gave us a little something different with 1st and goal from the 10 to tie…nah, he didn’t touch the field all day. Few and far between blitz packages that fooled no-one. Blah, blah, blah. Can’t even enjoy a tarhole loss properly, that too is typical.

ryebread
    Participant

Mac: I hear what you are saying. I’ve been off the DD wagon since year one (have to really suck at NC State not to win at least one game in the ACC given we get Wake, Bc, Syracuse and UNC every year). I’m still hopeful on my preseason prediction. ND hasn’t been the ND of my youth in a long time, and the FSU game seemingly just got a lot easier. UNC looks beatable and BC seems to have regressed, though who knows that Wake and Syracuse really have.

But the team once again placed themselves in an unphill fight. I thought DD was a dead man walking after that ECU loss and would require beating UNC to still be coaching here. I still think he’d have been gone had he lost to UNC but he pulled a rabbit out of his hat.

McCallum
    Participant

Can’t even enjoy a tarhole loss properly, that too is typical.

How wrong you are sir. Like an aged port or a sun-dying late Fall afternoon, the enjoyment of a tarheal defeat is something to be relished. It never gets old or lacks that certain level of enjoyment that delights ones senses and elevates the heart.

Watching the eternal spoiled child receive some justice is the sweetest fruit on the vine. It never gets old. It is always on your mind like the first time you placed your hands along the shapely hips of a lass, the wonderment and sensation from the excitement never leaves you. New found treasure that one is constantly finding, the zest and thrill are constant exhilaration.

I drink deeply from their anguish. Even greater comfort is to know that whenever the season, whatever the day, in good times or in bad that they realize we shall revile them in all ways, manners and means. They are a despicable lot, nearly in total, from the rancid top to the lifeless matter stuck to the bottom. The modern minstrel show from Orange County has earned every drop of contempt that falls upon it.

Delenda est chapel hill.

McCallum

rthomas44
    Participant

Amen.

archdalepack
    Participant

“I drink deeply from their anguish” McCallum. As do I just not often enough!

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

Mac: I hear what you are saying. I’ve been off the DD wagon since year one (have to really suck at NC State not to win at least one game in the ACC given we get Wake, Bc, Syracuse and UNC every year). I’m still hopeful on my preseason prediction. ND hasn’t been the ND of my youth in a long time, and the FSU game seemingly just got a lot easier. UNC looks beatable and BC seems to have regressed, though who knows that Wake and Syracuse really have.

But the team once again placed themselves in an unphill fight. I thought DD was a dead man walking after that ECU loss and would require beating UNC to still be coaching here. I still think he’d have been gone had he lost to UNC but he pulled a rabbit out of his hat.

This is exactly why it sucked donkey balls losing to USC. Now we are trying to figure out where the wins come from to make this a successful season. We aint going into FSU or ND and pulling an upset. Do you really see that happening? Maybe Pitt but its still a road game. As to Wake and Cuse they are only going to get better right?

7 wins and I think he still has a job next year. Yow isnt going to risk her losing a job if she makes a move. No way in hell does she get to make another revenue hire, I think she knows that and will trot out the “student athlete, good character, right direction, doing things the right way” mantra to ease the pain. Hell she may even do this if we only hit 6 (which seems likely at this point).

Honestly Daves tenure here will be defined by getting absolutely rolled by Miss State and firing the prodigy OC instead of Santa Clause. How in the world Hux still has a job is an absolute head scratcher. Part of me know wishes we got rolled by UNC last year and just hired Miles. Hell its not too late.

Any chance of a special season went out the window when our guys crapped on ourselves in the 3rd quarter on Sat.

13OT
    Participant

To me, the best comment on here so far is pakfanistan’s “I am disappointed by this outcome. And most disappointed because it did not surprise me.”

Wolfpack football continues to be mired in mediocrity. It’s been that way since Dick Sheridan left, except during the Philip Rivers and Russell Wilson seasons. There simply haven’t been any quality HC hires since then, and State’s football successes have been mainly what those two quarterbacks could accomplish. I’ve seen no fundamentally sound teams, little discipline, and little in the way of really good team defense. There have been some pretty good spare parts, but nothing ever seems to resemble a fine-tuned machine, even a small one.

I fully expect that AD Yow is going to remain here for some time (as the pay is too good to quit), and if she has to fire Coach Doeren in November, things will only get worse before they get even worse. God help this program if she gets to hire another football HC.

For that reason alone, I truly hope Coach Doeren succeeds here this season.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 225 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.