Grease Up, Hook Up, Get Ready to go to the Field – Spring Garden Thread – 2018

Home Forums All StateFansNation Grease Up, Hook Up, Get Ready to go to the Field – Spring Garden Thread – 2018

Viewing 18 posts - 51 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    YogiNC
    Participant

Put in 500 hills of Serendipity on good Friday. Waiting another 2 weeks to put in some more for staggered crop. Bill, what was that asian bean you were talking about?

Smarter than the average bear

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

My 15 day forecast says no more nights under 50* after next Thursday, but no nights over 60*….

I’m olanning to start planting sweet corn Thursday and then follow up with everything else asap…

Yogi…

“Gita” asian long beans….

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/vegetables/beans/pole-beans/gita-bean-seed-2619.html#q=long%2Bbeans&lang=en_US&start=1

GO PACK!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    YogiNC
    Participant

Got any extra seeds you’d care to part with?

Smarter than the average bear

tractor57
    Participant

4:30 AM and 33 F – don’t think any planting for a week or so. The grain farmers here have applied a knock down herbicide and they will probably plant their corn late next week. In my garden plans made but on hold until mother nature gets over this hissy fit.

highstick
    Participant

Bill, I put out one bag of the DAP a week ago, but would an extra 40 lb bag of lime hurt/help, etc? The zoysia seems to be recovering for dormancy very well, but a bit patchy. I have mowed twice with the push mower and once with the rider(primarily to suck up some dead/loose thatch), then I raked. I had the rider deck set at 6 inches so I wasn’t cutting, just vacuuming and pulling up the loose stuff.

We’ve still gotten a lot of cool nights so I’m sure that’s impacting the dormancy process. Mine still looks better than any of the other zoysia lawns in the neighborhood.

I haven’t even thought about starting the veggies yet. It has been way too cool! But I’ve gotten to the point that I’m keeping that part of the farm pretty small.

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

If you’re anywhere close to the Raleigh area you boys won’t be needing to do any watering for a while after last night storms!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^same in ILM, but not really much of a problem since nothing’s been planted since Thanksgiving…

bought some seed and some transplants Saturday, but it’s supposed to get down around 40* tonight, so I’m gonna wait ONE more day…

—————–

Stick… your original pH was 5.3 and we put lime out when you did the bed prep for your turfgrass — one more bag of Dolomitic Line ain’t gonna hurt anything…

That said, lime, or lack thereof, doesn’t have anything directly to do with dormancy….

Typically, that’s primarily a function of soil temps — in yards and urban farming, you got a lot of variance in direct sunlight, wind, closeness to brick walls that absorb heat… all of which, will lead to some differences in how the grass comes out of dormancy…

The same is true in reverse during the growing season as there’s some difference is how the grass grows in different spots…

Remember, zoysia does not like shade…

In the summer, morning sun ain’t the same as afternoon sun…
    And typically the hottest places in the summer are the coldest places in the winter…

The fun part of all this is that the ‘hot and cold spots’ are constantly moving around the yard as the sun moves relative to the wobbly rotation of the earth…

just ask SqlWolf…

——————–

Anybody know any ‘organic’ ‘bacca farmers ?

GO PACK!

rthomas44
    Participant

Set out 40k tomato plants Fri. Sat. Low tonight 38 Yikes!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^smh…

for the rest of ya’ll…

it’s kinda curious that 30 miles inland is generally 3-5 degrees warmer than the coast in the spring — something to do with the ocean water temps…

GO PACK!

tractor57
    Participant

After a near freeze last night we might have a couple days of Spring now.

rthomas44
    Participant

Low of 38 last night..back to the field tomorrow.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Mater Man…

How are those maters you set out last week looking?

The wind here has been worse than the cold nights….

GO PACK!

rthomas44
    Participant

Plants are good! I have rye strips to block the cold wind.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Rule #5 — If you want to know how to do something right… ask a man who does that something everyday….

GO PACK!

Greywolf
    Participant

Country boy caught a ride in one of the first cars to have air condition. Said he was going to Slingsh1t, South Carolina. After about 5 miles he asked to be let out at the next crossroads. He explained, “Gotta go back home. I didn’t know it was cool enough to kill hogs.”

Thank you boys for the interesting dialogue on farming and gardening. 😉

highstick
    Participant

True, but those should have been 2 questions to you. Those areas are slowly greening up, but the temps here have been freakish. One day 80, next we go down to the mid 30’s.

^same in ILM, but not really much of a problem since nothing’s been planted since Thanksgiving…

bought some seed and some transplants Saturday, but it’s supposed to get down around 40* tonight, so I’m gonna wait ONE more day…

—————–

Stick… your original pH was 5.3 and we put lime out when you did the bed prep for your turfgrass — one more bag of Dolomitic Line ain’t gonna hurt anything…

That said, lime, or lack thereof, doesn’t have anything directly to do with dormancy….

Typically, that’s primarily a function of soil temps — in yards and urban farming, you got a lot of variance in direct sunlight, wind, closeness to brick walls that absorb heat… all of which, will lead to some differences in how the grass comes out of dormancy…

The same is true in reverse during the growing season as there’s some difference is how the grass grows in different spots…

And typically the hottest places in the summer are the coldest places in the winter…

The fun part of all this is that the ‘hot and cold spots’ are constantly moving around the yard as the sun moves relative to the wobbly rotation of the earth…

just ask SqlWolf…

——————–

GO PACK!

McCallum
    Participant

Zoysia does well in shade.

McCallum

highstick
    Participant

True, but those should have been 2 questions to you. Those areas are slowly greening up, but the temps here have been freakish. One day 80, next we go down to the mid 30’s.

—————–

just ask SqlWolf…

——————–

GO PACK!

Wobbly earth? I thought it was the stuff I was drinking. I have a new excuse!

Viewing 18 posts - 51 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.