Game Thread – Wolfpack Football vs Trojans of Troy

Home Forums All StateFansNation Game Thread – Wolfpack Football vs Trojans of Troy

Viewing 10 posts - 76 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    BJD95
    Keymaster

Good point, Foose. Perhaps a B+ performance really is ideal for the first game.

Only wish we had a medium-range FG attempt.

Wufpacker
    Participant

No turnovers, 1 penalty (an accidental facemask), in game one. That is coaching, folks. But not just coaching. It’s leadership, discipline, accountability, and culture… none of which just came about by accident.

Agreed. I was already mostly pleased with the bottom line results for a season opener. But after the fact, when I realized the essentially mistake free play by a largely untested group, I became quite impressed.

Not beating ourselves, a very critical step.

tractor57
    Participant

A good first game. Showed we do have an offense but I’m sure did not show the complete package. The kicking game looked good – especially on kickoffs. Being that that is all new this year a good sign. Defense looked quite good at times but maybe lost some focus at others. Part might be directly related to Silvers – he sure has a golden arm. Tough kid as well even walking about after the slobber knocker. The other thing I noticed was some clock management just before the last Pack score in the first half. That was refreshing to see.

NCSU88
    Participant

How was the experience in the stadium with the claimed improvements?

TheCOWDOG

^ It was moist. And the speakers were at their finest, enhanced static.

Greywolf
    Participant

What tractor57 said.

Greywolf
    Participant

^ It was moist. And the speakers were at their finest, enhanced static.

They need to either turn the volume up and blow the speakers all the way out OR turn it down to keep from blowing them out.

Greywolf
    Participant

Good solid win. etc…

foose, what did you think of Bryant? IMO he will be getting more reps in practice and brought along a little faster than was originally planned. Doeren joked early on that “Big E” could take care of the A & B gaps by himself. Apparently Big E didn’t realize he was joking. I’d like to see him try running in short yardage situations. He did that in HS.

tjfoose1
    Participant

I was kinda lazy in my viewing, Grey. Watched more like the average fan this week, with only a marginal critical eye. And that was more macro than micro.

I watch all home games from the stands so I don’t have access to the DVR, but I do remember #91 (that’s him, right?) on a few plays. I remember because the second time he made an impression I was thinking ‘who is that guy?’, and had to look him on the roster I have on my phone. I was surprised to see he was a true freshman.

I’ll watch more critically next week, but from what I saw, I was impressed. Need more reps and competition to give a more definitive opinion, but his ability and potential project very well. He certainly appeared to deserve more than the 3 stars he was rated.

tjfoose1
    Participant

The long run for a TD (the read-option around the D’s left) looked to be a communication issue within the secondary or between them and the DE.

Doeren referenced that very play Wednesday night. He confirmed the assumption… it was a communication issue between the rover/nickel back Wright and DE Rose.

They both played the inside.

“Communication issue” was Doeren’s exact words.

Viewing 10 posts - 76 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.