Former Dept. Chair at Chapel Hill to Cooperate in Academic-Fraud Probe

Home Forums All StateFansNation Former Dept. Chair at Chapel Hill to Cooperate in Academic-Fraud Probe

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    DrWuffette1day
    Participant

In the course of completing other research this morning, I found this article in the Chronicle of Higher Education. I obviously question this current academic investigation. This is likely another payday for the former professor. Also, the timing is curious- the same day of McCants’ accusation.

This article seems like the usual UNC-Cheat deflect and distract story…interesting the PR channel. I would like to think that UNC-CHeat is getting abused by national academia groups: This is a defensive article. You know they released it in other media channels however local ones chose not to move forward (old news and no details on how he is cooperating ex. showing up for court, showing his hand before he “testifies” in front of the kangaroo court) or release it at this time. WRAL released the court date (end of June) of Nyang’oro a couple of weeks ago. Regardless, the man is showing his hand to UNC-CHeat (probably in cooperation) before he makes his statements for the record. Interesting.

I do expect more former students to come forward with the decades of cheating.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

June 6, 2014 by Andy Thomason

Former Dept. Chair at Chapel Hill to Cooperate in Academic-Fraud Probe

Julius Nyang’oro, a former chairman of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill’s department of African and Afro-American studies, has agreed to cooperate with an investigation into the academic fraud discovered in that department, the News & Observer reported. The inquiry will be the first to have the pledged cooperation of the two former administrators—Mr. Nyang’oro and Deborah Crowder, the department manager—who have taken most of the blame for the scandal.

Mr. Nyang’oro, who has been indicted by a North Carolina grand jury for accepting $12,000 for a class he did not teach, oversaw so-called no-show classes that included a disproportionate share of athletes. A previous probe, conducted by a former state governor, found that the classes dated as far back as 1997.

Word of Mr. Nyang’oro’s cooperation came on the same day that ESPN’s Outside the Lines reported that a former UNC basketball star, Rashad McCants, said Coach Roy Williams knew about the fraudulent classes. Mr. Williams has since denied the accusation.

DrWuffette1day
    Participant

After reviewing this author’s LinkedIn resume, I have learned that his work history includes Chronicle Intern, Intern at the Tampa Bay Times and Editor-In-Chief at the Daily Tarheel. He listed about 2 years experience at the Daily Tarheel. Yep, he is a tool.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.