Follow the Money …

Home Forums All StateFansNation Follow the Money …

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    SaccoV
    Participant

Cliched, I know. But based on a recent request from a poster, USA Today did all the heavy lifting on this one. I’m just supplying the links. Here is the full USA Today chart. Quite interesting, but the deeper dig is found here, where NC State’s revenues breakdown is found.

NC State 2017-2018 Athletics Revenues
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jONvq3Fg6-hCIDGyQjnYptwJFD0kMHzE/view?usp=sharing</embed&gt;

Here is part 2, the expenses. Also from the same source, USA Today.

NC State 2017-2018 Athletics Expenses

Pack Pride ‘shared’ a really good write-up from the VATech 247Sports writer, Evan Watkins. It lists all the ACC schools and their even more exact breakdowns. Here is that breakdown, which is also good reading.

The long and the short of it, nationally, NC State is at 47th in terms of revenue at $83,741,572 and expenses $86,924,779. Two areas of discussion: 1) AD performance and 2) Maintaining competitive place

1) AD Performance

Our Director’s Cup standings have increased dramatically the past two years, as have expenditures for the overall athletics budget. Here is the breakdown of EXPENSES only over the last eight years (since Yow was hired in June of 2010)

NC State Athletics Expenses 2010-2018

The fact that our Director’s Cup standings were 15th in the country based on the 47th most expenditures is a really good return on investment. The previous AD’s highest finish in the Director’s Cup was 74th* (I believe there was a higher ranking but my limited Google skills only got reliable data back to 2007-2008 season.). Where we should give Yow credit is that the overall athletics department is in much better position: making more money, spending more money and getting quality results compared to the rest of the college sports programs. Winning conference titles in the Big 4 (Football, Men’s Basketball, Women’s Basketball, Baseball) have eluded her much like her predecessor. However, winning titles in Wrestling and Softball and becoming more competitive in conference with Men’s Basketball, Women’s Basketball, Volleyball and Football have far exceeded the last two occupants of the AD’s office.

2) Maintaining Competitive Place

This is the open-ended portion of the post, and although I would like to go into a particular direction, I will wait for some responses. In my estimation, our spending on COACHES’ Salaries and compensation has been a great asset to maintaining our place among our conference foes. Careful consideration must also be given to the recent changes in COA (cost of attendance) with scholarship athletes, and I hope that NC State makes some bold moves to get in front of this trend. With our upper-middle standing in terms of spending this will be a hard move to make it, but making it might prove essential to our enticing high-level athletes to come into the fold. I will never suggest we compromise our academic standing for athletic achievement … like some.

Also, along the same lines, I’m hoping that Yow has maintained strong contacts in the coaching realm to entice good quality coaches to replace our outgoing ones. No sport requires this as much as Baseball (IMO) given our lack of results in that area alone over the last 22 years. Secondly, attracting great coaches means that other schools will look to poach (perhaps in FB and Men’s BB) in the coming years, and we must face the fact that our budget is nowhere near a place like Texas A&M or Tennessee or UCLA. It will be hard for us to compete directly in terms of salary and budget with those schools who are spending literally double what our school spends.

Please feel free to comment. Yes, Mac. I’m talking to you, too.

SaccoV
    Participant

Mods, if you could delete the original post. I will repost with the correct links and embedded pictures. I screwed up on this one. DO OVER!!

SaccoV
    Participant

NC State Athletics Revenues 2017-2018

Fastback68
    Participant

Would love to see a detailed balance sheet, cash flow and income statement for the last 100 years. I would like to see the current depreciation schedule for Reynolds and the new indoor practice facility. A non-cash depreciation expense is part of that 86mm.

SaccoV
    Participant

Fastback, I agree that seeing a bit more transparency in regard to where the money has been spent delineated according to a line-item breakdown would be in order. I also would not hold my breath as to receiving any such information. And as for Reynolds and the renovation, that is a huge sore spot for many solid donors. I graduated from State in December of ’98, and personally would like that building to remain viable for all sporting endeavors, including men’s basketball games; however, I understand the trepidation and consternation for those who feel it was a money sump. If I had more skin in that game, I would have more empathy for those who have contributed much more than I. It is one of the few museum pieces from my time at State that I want to remain.

SaccoV
    Participant

Submitted for clarity. This post was atrocious, and I apologize again for it. I have the important links located below to help with the discussion.

Link to NC State’s 2017-2018 Revenues for Athletics

Link to NC State’s 2017-2018 Expenses for Athletics

Link to NC State’s Athletics Expenses from 2010-2018

These are the photos I failed to embed properly. If someone, a mod let’s say, would like to embed these properly, I would greatly appreciate it. If not, that’s cool too.

Fastback68
    Participant

I just thought someone might look at these numbers and come to the conclusion that we are overspending by 3mm. Reynolds was 35mm, the outdoor facility was 4mm and I’m not sure how the cost of the new bb dorm will be handled. There’s that 51% general students and 49% students athletes formula that is popular these days. I don’t know how the cost is allocated between the university versus the atlethic department. There was a discussion of allowing corporations to accelerate depreciation expense in the new tax code. So that 86mm could contain 5-10mm in depreciation expense for non-reoccurring facility projects. That’s a non cash expense that doesn’t reduce cash flows on an annual basis. I’m not judging individual projects. I’m glad Reynolds is still there and operational.

Fastback68
    Participant

Thanks for the links by the way. Nice find. We always get pieces of the financial picture.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.