Final Four / Weekend open thread

Home Forums All StateFansNation Final Four / Weekend open thread

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 300 total)
  • Author
    Texpack
    Participant

Speaking of not being aware that your mic is on, Andrew Harrison was caught revealing his true feelings about Kaminsky. Oops! I’m guessing that won’t make the transcript. Man up Harrison, the Tank took your lunch money.

Had to use a tiny url because the full one had a bad word in it!

http://tinyurl.com/q37oj8n

Pretty sure he will be entering the draft now. A white player would lose his scholarship over that for sure.

Wulfpack
    Participant

No question, Tex. That’s all we would be hearing about today. Cal hardly EVER gives his opponent credit. It is always about him. Apparently some UK players didn’t even shake Wiscy’s hand. You stay classy Kentucky.

Gowolves
    Participant

Before you guys jack Ryan off remember he screwed a kid trying to transfer. It’s well documented that he was an ass through the whole process.

Read the article.

“No one should think Bo Ryan is a bad dude. If that’s your takeaway from all this, you’re missing the point. Ryan is a great coach and one who genuinely does things the right way, and his reasoning for this isn’t as simple as “Oh, he’s just being vindictive.” That may be the case. It also may not. Either way, it’s beside the point.”

“Here’s the point: This is a bad rule that allows coaches to do things they shouldn’t be able to do when their players decide to transfer, one that speaks to the deep imbalance of personal efficacy in collegiate athletics. That’s what this is about.”

Every coach has put restrictions on transfers. In this case he overreacted some but no more so than Frank Martin at SC.

Still though Ryan at any time could have backed off his unreasonable restrictions. I understand why they want those restrictions and in some cases it makes since. Ryan went overboard and wasn’t bending at all which he has a right to in this case. But just because you can doesn’t always mean you should. After the media caught wind of it he backed off.

choppack1
    Participant

I saw Harrison’s comments.

I am sure ESPN, the NBA and mainstream media will demand some type of action since they were so offended by some senile old man.

Texpack
    Participant

Just watched Stephen A(hole) Smith say how wrong Harrison was BUT, it’s different when a black person uses the slur.

#doublestandard

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Just watched Stephen A(hole) Smith say how wrong Harrison was BUT, it’s different when a black person uses the slur.

#doublestandard

^That’s the thing, I don’t even care that Harrison said that – it was completely classless and incredibly immature – but taken on its face it was kid being whiny and venting after a loss. Happens everyday in every walk of life. If there are to be consequences because of the use of a slur, then the consequences should be uniform.

What’s incredibly frustrating are the standards that can apply because of the PC police. “It’s ok” when certain people say or do certain things, but not others … yep, injecting race and gender issues into EVERY SINGLE aspect of life shows true genius 🙄

We’ll see what the Outrage Brigade comes up with on this one.

TheCOWDOG

Wait…Did he say “.. fuk that Honkey?”

Nope…didn’t think so.

Why would this be considered a racial slur?

Has Calipari commended Wisco, yet?

Wufpacker
    Participant

Yeah, I don’t go in for ANY of the PC crap. FWIW, that includes you hypersensitive honkeys trying to holler about PC crap and uniform standards.

Kid was just upset after a loss, wasn’t a slur, let it go.

ancsu87
    Participant

Yeah, I don’t go in for ANY of the PC crap. FWIW, that includes you hypersensitive honkeys trying to holler about PC crap and uniform standards.

Kid was just upset after a loss, wasn’t a slur, let it go.

Agree. In my opinion the bigger issue is that he and his brother refused to shake hands after and that their coach is ok with that lack of sportsmanship.

I saw where Harrison did not like the fist and chest bumps near end of game that Tank did with some teammates. Kind of puts the comment he made in context if that was his beef.

I would be curious what the thought police would say if Tank had lost and said “F you assh$&e” or any other thing besides the N word.

tractor57
    Participant

To me the comment shows some frustration and some lack of maturity – the latter Cal says he is trying to help his players in avoiding. The lack ditching the after game handshake is more problematic to me. I will say if the roles had been reversed an Kaminsky said such about one of the KY players all of the sports press would simple have been in feeding mode.

In some ways I get Cal concentrating on his team but as my ex-FIL always says “Jody I don’t think I would have said that”.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I saw where Harrison did not like the fist and chest bumps near end of game that Tank did with some teammates.

Ok. Fine. Then stop them. UK didn’t.

Wiscy knocked off a team that ended their season last year. They wanted UK, and they got them. And UK was undefeated. If UK has a problem with a team celebrating after beating them considering all these factors, then, what shall I say, they aren’t the brightest tools in the shed. I don’t solely fault the players. Their coach doesn’t help. He is the definition of a poor sport, and his team takes on that persona.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Yes, agreed on the sportsmanship issue fwiw.
    Didn’t really expect the UK group to lose gracefully though. Hard to do when you’ve been told all year (and for most of them, probably all their lives) how superior you are to the populace at large. Feelings of entitlement come in all shapes and sizes. And sadly, colours too.

tractor57
    Participant

To be the man you must beat the man. So far that whole Pack of Badgers has risen to the challenge. Last night the Badgers were the better team – they did not rattle even when UK rallied and with some calls that went against them. In the end UK blinked. That does not make Ryan a great person or Cal an evil one – the result might be because of they way each prepared their respective teams.

ancsu87
    Participant

Maybe he was just upset at himself for letting his team have three straight possessions with shot clock violations while holding the lead?? He is a good coach but I recall him leading Kansas by 9 or more and losing a championship while at Memphis. So maybe he was too busy kicking himself for believing his own puff about this team that he end up failing to coach in the critical moments.

Still doesn’t mean can’t shake hands.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

I ain’t really blaming 18-19 yr kids for nothing much…
    especially what comes out of their mouths when they are upset, angry, and hurt…

Cal dealt his own hand, imo, when he slowed the game down with a 7-9 point lead and about 5 minutes to play…
    Afterwards, he said (about that time in the game) he thought he had the game won…

Shades of Jimmy V in over in the Dean Dome that night sitting on the bench late with a big lead…
    thinking about his post game comments…

HOF Coaches generally only make that mistake once…

Now… I’m sure somebody in Blue probably mumbled F’ Coach Cal after the game last night AND today….

And… if you were an “objective” spectator… the truth is you hated to see either team lose…

The game was as advertised… a helluva game…

The question is can Dook – Wisky reach the same level of intensity…
    that’s 50/50 as we sit here today…

Shades of the Pack v. UCLA in the SEMIFINALS in Greensboro.in ’75..
    and how everybody felt sorry for Al McGuire…
    well.. NOT everybody…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    tractor57
    Participant

In the end that Pack of Badgers did what was needed. The blue boys did not. Regardless on hell of a game to watch. I’m hoping Monday night will be the equal regardless of who wins.

TheCOWDOG

No let down from Wisco. That team just beat UK on the heels of smacking Zona.

Nope. Monday will be a repeat of Saturday night.

If…if Duke holds up to their end of the bargain, they might fashion a win, but I don’t see it. Not this time around.

MrPlywood
    Participant

I ain’t really blaming 18-19 yr kids for nothing much…

I could see that if we’re talking about 12 year olds, but Harrison is old enough to know better, especially considering the situation. No free pass from me.

TheCOWDOG

Oh,and yes there are shades of ’74. UCLA kicked State’s ass earlier that year, as Duke did the Badgers, this year.

MrPlywood
    Participant

C’Dog, I’ve been thinking “what if” re: the undefeated ’73 team. In retrospect that punishment was way out of proportion to the infraction. I didn’t want this group from Kentucky to get the title.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^neither did Knight, Buckner, Benson, et al …
    in spite of what may have been “published”…

The only thing about Pack72-73 was that only 16 teams were invited to the dance back then…
    so a Final Four would not have been a given.

TheCOWDOG

25 teams in ’73.

Ply…I swear. In some respects the punished team of ’73, was better than the champs of ’74.

Joe Cafferky and Rick Holdt, and all the pieces into the next year.

That ’73 team may have eclipsed the sun.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

.. I’m getting old…

MrPlywood
    Participant

In some respects the punished team of ’73, was better than the champs of ’74.

At 14 I was still a bit young to fully appreciate what I was looking at, but again, in retrospect 🙂

BTW, the 72-73 team averaged – AVERAGED – 92.9 points per game. The mind boggles.

13OT
    Participant

The media drools over these “fabulous freshmen” of late, but ask Michigan how that worked out back in the early 90s when they ran into two determined senior-laden teams who would not be pushed around. And that same scenario played out last Saturday night for UK.

Every big and little thing, to me, points to Wisconsin winning tonight. I can’t believe this team would get this close and let it get away. Like the 1991 Duke team, this time it’s going to be Wisconsin’s time.

And it might not even be close.

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 300 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.