Favorite Announcer/Sport Combination

Home Forums All StateFansNation Favorite Announcer/Sport Combination

Tagged: 

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Texpack
    Participant

I am not a fan of ice hockey by any stretch of the imagination, but it occurred to me last night watching the Stanley Cup Finals that Mike Emrick calling a hockey game is about as good as it gets in sports broadcasting. The man is an artist. The only rivals he has in my book are as follows

CBB – Packer & Thacker w/Bones McKinney
    CFB – Keith Jackson
    MLB – Vin Scully or Jack Buck

What is your favorite announcer/sport combo of all time?

packpowerfan
    Participant

I like Forslund in hockey. A few years ago there were some national games with Forslund and Doc Emerick, and it was amazing. Vin Scully is fantastic in baseball. I’m a ChiSox fan, so I’m partial to Hawk’s awful homerisms; but I recognize how grating he is to opposing fans…or even some of our own.

On a purely national level I’d take Emerick or Gary Thorne on p-b-p, and someone like Steve Kerr doing color. I really enjoy Steve’s insights during NBA games.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Active, Gus Johnson and Lenny Elmore are great for college hoops. Billy Packer always will be the best.

I like the CBS first and second crews for college football.

NBC’s #2 crew for the NFL is very solid, which is too bad since they only announce 1 Wild Card game per season.

The Marlins’ crew is the best working MLB.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Ok Tex…

first I’ll take Radio guys over TV guys every time…

second…. when it happens it’s rare… but for all practical purposes… “They just don’t make ’em like they used to….”

third… for the most part…back in the days before “old school”… the announcers did all the sports and were not sport specific.

My Guys…
    Combo guys… Ray Reeves and Wally Ausley…
    Solo guys… Larry Munson, in a class all his own…

and…

TV guys…
    As mentioned above… Bones, Thacker & Packer…
    AND
    Howard, Dan && Frank… also in a class all their own…

————–

That said, I’ll give the kids around SFN who don’t recognize the names above and/or never heard any of ‘my guys’…their chance…

Name any announcers anywhere today under age 45 that come close or have the potential to come close to “my guys”… I’ll give bonus points to those who do multiple sports well.

And I’ll listen to your guys … ’cause “my guys” have said all they’re gonna say….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Since74
    Participant

Beat me to the punch on Howard, Don, and Frank. Used to love that.

Still remember watching Monday Night Football when Howard interrupted to report John Lennon’s death.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Pack78
    Participant

Solo guys… Larry Munson, in a class all his own…

Bill-Truth in advertizing, my dad and both brothers graduated from Georgia Tech; we always thought that DAWG Larry was the biggest homer in college sports! Gary Hahn and others could take a lesson or two from him on not being too impartial.
    Always thought that Jim Phillips at Clemmons did a great job of painting visuals for the listener on a radio broadcast…The mult-award winning PBP clown at u*nx (Woody) did just the opposite-giving a TV recap (usually well behind the action) on the radio.

Red Baron
    Participant

My favorite duo was Dizzy Dean and Peewee Reese. Loved watching ball games on Saturday listening to Diz as a kid.

packpowerfan
    Participant

Can we at least agree that Joe Buck needs to be burned at the stake?

BJD95
    Keymaster

Can we at least agree that Joe Buck needs to be burned at the stake?

A million times YES. Alexi Lalas is just as bad, if watching the World Cup.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Pack78….

They all, including Munson, were “homers”… but Munson had THE VOICE…
    and it didn’t hurt that when I lived in Atlanta, he also had Herschel in the ballfield…

RB… props for a great pickup….

I listened to PeeWee and Dizzy too… also in a class of their own (category:baseball)…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    TheCOWDOG

Don Criqui.

A pro’s pro.

packpowerfan
    Participant

Oh, I also enjoy Chuck Kaiton during hockey season. He has one of the more unique voices out there, and he is a Hurricanes staple.

Not to mention, the guy can call the hell out of a game. Doesn’t need any help in the booth, and really gives you the full picture. Plus, you gotta love his name pronunciations.

redisgood
    Participant

My choices.

Hockey: Danny Gallivan

Baseball: Ernie Harwell

Football: Ray Scott

Basketball: Marv Albert

Golf: Chris Berman(joke) Peter Alliss

tractor57
    Participant

Some great ones here including the Thacker/Packer combo. For the current day I’ll add a single – Doris Burke -as a sideline reporter or as an analyst she does bring much (that black dress last night was fitting for the Heat …

44rules
    Participant

Thacker and Packer of course. Skip, Pete and Ernie for baseball.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.