F-Ugly rolls into Winston – Deacs Game Thread 2-17-18

Home Forums StateFans Basketball F-Ugly rolls into Winston – Deacs Game Thread 2-17-18

Viewing 21 posts - 151 through 171 (of 171 total)
  • Author
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Let THIS sink in…

Four Games left in the ACC Regular Season…
    THREE at Home…

We’ve won 18 games so far this season…

Keatts and THESE GUYS with TWENTY WINS…
    IMPOSSIBLE — Right ???

F’UGLY has gott this sh#t in the Bag!

POP!!!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Road Teams are 4-0 today in the ACC…

What’s the line on the Holes v. Da’Ville tonight…

Cheaters v. Cheaters….

Cheats (of the blue shade persuasion) by a point is Vegas’s take. Legacies built on decades of unpunished cheating. Disgusting.

And 100% agree.. any kind of win today on the road is impressive. And a second string of back to back road wins in the ACC by this team is incredibly impressive. I bet that hasn’t been accomplished in a while.

And to think.. I’d almost thrown in the towel on this team (as far as tourney time goes) after the loss to the Frauds last week.

rthomas44
    Participant

Well..2 road wins…back to back. This has to build confidence in the team. Yes, I am very happy and looking forward to the next game. Keatts is the man!

wolfmanmat
    Participant

2 road wins has to help the Rpi. While we may not finish top 4 in ACC, we could finish 5 or 6. 4 winnable games left. Here we go.

choppack1
    Participant

4 road wins this year. We have 4 left. 3 @ home left, only 1 otr. Finish strong guys!!

BassPacker
    Participant

Anyone watching the Kansas WVU game? Ole Teddy Bear Hutchins got a big introduction to Jamie Luckie. He’s bad and influences games beyond the ACC. Luckie just T’d Hutchins up and kicked him out. Bet ole Lucky don’t ref in WVU anytime soon. Terrible ref….his name is met with more venom than that of Karl Hess.

Texpack
    Participant

Anyone watching the Kansas WVU game? Ole Teddy Bear Hutchins got a big introduction to Jamie Luckie. He’s bad and influences games beyond the ACC. Luckie just T’d Hutchins up and kicked him out. Bet ole Lucky don’t ref in WVU anytime soon. Terrible ref….his name is met with more venom than that of Karl Hess.

Kansas attempted 35 FTs. WVU attempted 2. That may have been why Huggy Bear wasn’t so lovable at the end.

MrPlywood
    Participant

If State can clean up the things in their control – FTs, bad fouls (especially on 3pt shooters), rebounding – games like this will be won without the nail-biting. Props to them for winning ugly on the road.

McCallum
    Participant

Saw that one.

A very bad referee.

McCallum

PackofMac
    Participant

Welp, I’m surprised and this crow taste god awful. Go Pack

Officials should be accessible to the media after games, should not be protected from coaches complaining. Officiating is horrible to say the least, how many non contact WTF fouls were called towards the end of our game today? Wake also suffered as much as we did from it at times. Any game, any conference and you’ll see the officials ensuring they become part of the game which is wrong.

Packfan74
    Participant

Listened to game on the radio. That last couple of minutes was brutal. With all the free throws that were being missed, I was really sweating that one out.

Lucky was doing his best impersonation of our old pal Lenny Wirtz. I’ll never forget when he was announced at the beginning of the game in Reynolds we would boo louder for him than the opposing team.

ryebread
    Participant

Good to win, even if it is ugly. It had us at 9-9 in the ACC before the year started and was routinely told to be realistic and that it wasn’t going to happen. Now that would feel like a let down. That’s how much this team has overachieved. Just keep winning!

The officiating was pretty bad. At one point in the second half we’d committed 9 fouls and WF only 2 d spite us being the team that was only a couple of makes/stops from blowing the game wide open. Definitely some home whistles, though tip of the cap to Wake for scrapping until the bitter end. We need to box out better and make a few more FTs and it wouldn’t have mattered.

Some quick Tobacco Road thoughts. Yesterdday’s win puts us at 7-22 at the Joel. I knew it was bad but didn’t realize just how bad. Time to go in a 16 year winning streak. 😀 We swept Wake for the first time in six years and avenged getting swept last year. That puts us at 4-1 against Wake, UNC and Duke on the year. I would take that from now until the end of time.

Go Pack!

rthomas44
    Participant

Rye..just one point, you used the word “overachieve”…that’s what Gott did his first year. This is Keatts showing how good of a coach he is. And the season is not over yet!

tractor57
    Participant

I like most of what I see but I also did year 1 with Gott. I think we are in a better place but I need more history at State. At this point I’m in but I also realize time will tell. Historically I’m big on defense and basic fundamentals but that might not be the college game these days. To date I’m pleased but I also realize things could go south quickly. I don’t think that will happen but since V I can’t say I really thought a coach was “in for the game” – it seems KK is buit with less than a year in I’m not ready to take the total leap.

Pack1997
    Participant

Tractor, it’s unfortunate, but the college game has devolved. Fundamentals and D aren’t as prevalent in youth basketball anymore. Kids get by on athleticism and not fundamentals. That’s not to say it isn’t important, just less focus on it at the AAU and high school levels. I like KK style, but the truth will be how do these kids develop year to year. I felt like with Gott, the kids were the same for the most part from a skill set stand point. It’s one of the many reasons why the program never progressed further. I also like the fact KK is animated on the sideline and talks/coaches the kids while they are on the bench. Gott never did that.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^ It’s probably better to let the dead stay buried…

But I feel compelled to say this…
    “Bobby Lutz” coached a lot of STATE kids up. <period>

First you learn the ‘rules’ then you learn how and when to break them….

GO PACK!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    ryebread
    Participant

“Bobby Lutz” coached a lot of STATE kids up. <period>

I argued at the time we hired Gott that Lutz would have made a better head man and Gott the recruiting assistant. I still believe that. Of course, I don’t think Lutz would have ever hired Gott on his staff.

tractor57
    Participant

Pack1997 some coaches have been able to adapt while some were never really prepared. I’ll just leave that there without further comment. KK might be one of those that can work with the current system.

ryebread
    Participant

Gott’s year 1 team was by far his most fundamentally sound. Every year away from Sid’s recruits was less stable the roster got (Gott). Red flags all over that one in so many ways, especially given the same statement could be made about Sid’s players from HWSNBN.

tractor: I agree that KK’s time at Hargrave has helped him massively in dealing with the current state of college basketball.

wolfmanmat
    Participant

Gotts ability to connect with the kids after recruiting was his biggest issue. Kids quit on him and too many transfers out of program. Keatts seems like he connects with the kids so far. We will see over the long run but this team certainly has taken more steps forward than any of Gotts teams did, including year 1.

Gowolves
    Participant

I don’t think Miller would have had this immediate success. Obviously there is no way to know for sure but that’s my 2 cent worth.

Viewing 21 posts - 151 through 171 (of 171 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.