ESPN posts UCF Study: FBS leaders still white, male

Home Forums All StateFansNation ESPN posts UCF Study: FBS leaders still white, male

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    inhoc…
    Participant
    StateFans
    Keymaster

A new study by the University of Central Florida’s Diversity and Ethics in Sport released Thursday shows that the top leadership positions at Football Bowl Subdivision schools and conferences remain mostly white and male.

The study examined the race and gender of conference commissioners and campus leaders, including college and university presidents, athletic directors and faculty athletic representatives for all 125 FBS institutions. It also included head football coaches, assistant coaches and student-athletes for football teams.

Looking at numbers for the 2013-14 academic year, the study found that 88.8 percent of university presidents, 84.8 percent of athletic directors and 100 percent of conference commissioners are white. White males accounted for 75.2 percent, 78.4 percent and 100 percent of those positions, respectively,

StateFans
    Keymaster

It is SHOCKING there are no female head football coaches in men’s college football!! Just SHOCKING!!! I think they say it is “unacceptable”!!

tobaccordshow
    Keymaster

Background: I’m a male in my lower 30s who has never cast a ballot a single time for a D in a federal election.

Now you know who I am, I shall opine.

I find it interesting that the male dominated boards of Fortune 500 companies are more and more open to female top leadership. Immediately coming to mind is Carly Fiorina (HP, AT&T, Lucent) and Meg Whitman (also HP). Women have broken the glass ceiling and are able to operate, and thrive, as the chief executive for successful organizations. These roles are full of stress and they have to manage egos on the Board and throughout their organizations.

Is athletics a different beast? I would find it strange to see a female on the sidelines of a men’s college basketball team just in the same way as it might have seemed strange to see a woman as a CEO in the 1950s.

Coaching an athletics program requires the same amount of thoughtfulness and management (and some would say to a lesser degree) than the chief executive of a Fortune 500. Athletics brings with it raw testosterone that may be visible in the business community but perhaps not the forefront of the business community.

Debbie Yow has proven herself fully capable and I love her leadership style and what she’s done for the university. I would like to think that I would require the same “proof” of job expertise of any male that occupied that job given the disaster the previous male brought to the athletics program.

Still, managing educated business minds is different from managing yet-to-be educated student athletes. Would a 5-star power forward be willing to accept leadership from a female as a head coach? I think that’s the question that any hiring panel will have to ask themselves before handing the reigns to their first female head coach.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I have never understood the purpose of these analyses. Do they expect institutions to hire less qualified applicants based strictly based on race and sex? Show me some examples of qualified people being denied a job and then I’ll gladly join the pitch-fork crowd in storming the castle.

Wulfpack
    Participant

It is a silly article. Football is its own beast. Basketball another story. If anyone thinks Pat Summitt or Kay Yow couldn’t coach men, you are vastly underestimating their abilities.

Greywolf
    Participant

Part of the qualifications for positions in Coaching and administration is the networking aspect. It crucial in putting together staff in football and I would assume scheduling and such requires some contacts.

tjfoose1
    Participant

“Do they expect institutions to hire less qualified applicants based strictly based on race and sex? ”

Is that a serious question? Of course they do.

tjfoose1
    Participant

“If anyone thinks Pat Summitt or Kay Yow couldn’t coach men, you are vastly underestimating their abilities.”

Coaching is about more than X’s and O’s. Many here rightfully complained about TOB’s recruiting and included it in the justifications for his firing. I might be mistaken, but I think you were one of them.

What success do you think either of those women would have in recruiting today’s high school athlete?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.