Erik Kramer suicide attempt

Home Forums StateFans Football Erik Kramer suicide attempt

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    44rules
    Participant

Sad to hear about this. He gave me so much joy during that magical run to the Peach Bowl with Dick Sheridan at the helm. Prayers and thoughts for his recovery:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/20/ex-qb-erik-kramer-treated-for-injuries-after-reported-suicide-attempt/?cid=Yahoo

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

TheCOWDOG

I always felt that I knew Eric in a special way, as I saw him play for Golden West College during the times that I lived in Ca.

I was ecstatic to know that he was on State’s radar. Lord knows the twists and turns, the demons and wraiths.

Was his mental health due to football related brain trauma? Who knows…but, good god, these players need to go through a mandatory exit screening as part of the collective bargaining contract to the NFL.

BJD95
    Keymaster

He will always be one of my dearest wolven heroes. In my view, he and Dick Sheridan were the dual saviors of the NC State program from the dumpster fire of the early-mid 1980s mediocrity (and/or worse), and put us on the trajectory to where we could at least be relevant. Kramer in particular paved the way for State as a premier destination for QBs (hey, it helps that we NEVER have been able to succeed in the modern era without stellar play at the position), leading to the the stellar reigns of Montgomery, Barnette, Rivers, Wilson, Glennon, and now our budding star that is Jacoby.

I was proud to start Kramer in fantasy (bye week) in what turned out to be his last NFL start. Sadly, he left the game very early due to a career ending concussion. Certainly too early to know if this played a role in recent events, but one can’t help but wonder. EK on the surface seemed like the ultimate “winner” in life (I had seen him a few times on fantasy football shows recently, and he did an excellent job, looked healthy and robust as well), but it’s a good reminder to us all about how delicate the brain really is, and how much pain can always be lurking just beneath the surface.

Get well, EK. Every wolf has your back.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

My brother was at State during the EK era and got my parents tickets for the infamous USuC game with a TD to Peebles on an untimed down. My parents still talk about that game. Sad to read about his current struggles.

Mike
    Participant

I was in school with Erik and casual friends but not tight. He always had a great attitude and was proud to have him as a part of the Pack family.

The article I read did say his concussions had a role in this. Also, his son died of a drug overdose shortly after a divorce. His ex wife said there is no doubt his head injuries contributed to his change in demeanor, which is what ultimately led to the divorce. She was quoted as saying they would still be married if not for the damage caused by the head injuries. Erik has had a lot in his plate in the last few years.

On the positive side, he is recovering from non-life threatening injuries, and we can all pray he receives the help he needs.

44rules
    Participant

I think I was at every home game in 86. Definitely there for the Peebles catch, the comeback to tie Pitt and the nationally televised game against Clem’s Son narrated by Brent Musberger. IIRC, Haywood Jeffires had about a 60-yard reverse run for a TD in that one.

My family was in the for Chickens game and, since they are beat the traffic kind of people (I didn’t get that gene) we were standing near one of the exits for Danny’s catch. Good times.

Can’t say I ever met or knew Erik, but he and his family are on my prayer list.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.