Early Season NFL

Home Forums StateFans Football Early Season NFL

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

We are four games in. Your undefeateds are Denver, Green Bay, New England, Atlanta, Carolina and Cincy. There is at least enough of a sample size to begin making some conclusions.

The NFC East is a wreck. Dallas is beat up. Philly is moving in reverse. The Skins are the Skins (clever, I know). And the Giants still have Eli.

New England, Green Bay, Denver and Cincy look like they are going to have great seasons.

Rex Ryan still has a big mouth, and keeps losing. Not much has changed. Oh, the team he wrecked is now pretty good. Figures.

The Panthers and Falcons are going to duke it out in the NFC South. What a difference a year makes for the Falcons. The Panthers are just steady as can be with a solid defense, that continues to be a wrecking ball even without Kuechly. And Cam has been solid.

The NFC West is going to be fun to watch. Thee good teams in Seattle, Arizona and St. Louis. I expect the Wilson-led Hawks to come out on top.

But, can anyone stop Green Bay in the NFC? Same to the Pats in the AFC.

Tau837
    Participant

I agree that Seattle should emerge as the next best contender in the NFC. Obviously, Seattle can beat Green Bay, as they have beaten them 3 times since Wilson arrived. However, all of those wins were in Seattle and this year’s loss was in GB. Green Bay has a 3 game lead over Seattle for home field advantage, which will be tough to overcome if Rodgers stays healthy.

IMO New England has to be viewed as the heavy favorite to reach the Super Bowl again on the AFC side. Hoping for a Seattle-NE rematch with Seattle winning this time.

WolfInVolCountry
    Participant

If Denver can get the offense untracked, they will be every bit the match for the Deflatriots (UNC-New England) and the Packers. Their D is every bit as good as the Seahawks. A good playoff indication will be when the play both NE and GB this season (in Denver I believe).

Full disclosure… I am a Denver homer (along with BD). Got my tix for Dec 20 in Pittsburgh vs. the Steelers.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Seattle does not look good right now. Extremely fortunate to win last night.

Pack1997
    Participant

Love the Panthers, but they have absolutely no playmakers on offense. Cam and Olsen, thats it. I am very surprised they have managed to get where they are. At 4-0 should they consider giving up a 3rd or 4th round pick for a quality wideout? J Stewart is officially done in my book and they should let the young guys play more in the backfield.

As for the rest of the NFL, Peyton just doesn’t have the arm to win it all for Denver this year. They have a solid team, but don’t think they can win the whole thing. If Rodgers stays healthy then GB is the team to beat. Their defense is much better this year compared to the last few.

MISTA WOLF
    Participant

My Fins suck. If not for Jarvis Landry heroics, we would be 0-4. Guess I’ll be pulling for Philip and Russell.

Gowolves
    Participant

Yes I am being a bit of a homer but my Steelers could be undefeated if they had a kicker. If they can tread water while Ben gets healthy they can make a late season run. Everyone seems to be counting them out.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Love the Panthers, but they have absolutely no playmakers on offense.

Agreed. Benjamin’s injury is a killer. But somehow they are finding a way. Granted, they are beating up on sorry teams. I expect losses to Seattle and Green Bay, and I see a split with Atlanta. Outside of those, the Panthers will be favorites. They can get to 10 wins rather easily.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Hee hee, yes indeed I am a Donks homer, but my general self-hatred/pessimism must have kicked in as I think our 4-0 is incredibly precarious. PeyPey has gone from concerning to downright terrifying, and I have less than zero confidence in Osweiler. Heck, I’m not even sure drafting Jacoby is the answer anymore after last weekend!!

But a flawed 4-0 is better than the alternative, no doubt.

Big props to Cam for making TED GINN into a viable deep league fantasy starter.

Fastback68
    Participant

At this point, it is an almost unfathomable fact that there are six playoff worthy teams in each conference. There looks to be many near .500 playoff teams this year. Someone has to represent.

The Panthers are undefeated against 4 teams with a combined record of 4-12. Granted 33% of those losses were courtesy of Cam. There are several quality opposing qbs in the upcoming schedule. It will be interesting to see how the year unfolds. Still can’t believe McCown’s stat line – 31/38, 310 yards. It seems the Falcons could easily be 2-2 based on the eagles and giants games to start the year. Added motivation to keep winning.

Fastback68
    Participant

I don’t understand, Fox and Del Rio had four years to fix the bronco’s defense. As soon as they leave, Denver has the #1 defense. Sorry, couldn’t resist since I had to sit through 9 seasons of fox .500 ball. Denver looked like a real contender last night. Green Bay not so much. Chicago, lollers.

Time to squeeze into the wetsuit. Colts coming to uptown, snicker.

Wulfpack
    Participant

How about those Panthers (7-0)?

BJD95
    Keymaster

I don’t understand, Fox and Del Rio had four years to fix the bronco’s defense. As soon as they leave, Denver has the #1 defense. Sorry, couldn’t resist since I had to sit through 9 seasons of fox .500 ball. Denver looked like a real contender last night. Green Bay not so much. Chicago, lollers.

Time to squeeze into the wetsuit. Colts coming to uptown, snicker.

WADE MUTHAFLIPPIN PHILLIPS!!! Gets my vote for NFL Coach of the Year, by goodness.

Can’t believe I went to bed last night when the Panthers had an “insurmountable three score lead.” Ted Ginn had his most Ted Ginn game ever.

Wulfpack
    Participant

A win is a win. And we got seven of them. Love this Panthers bunch moxy. Can’t lose mentality.

Texpack
    Participant

Texans tied for first place!!!!!!!

This will be used as cover by ownership to keep a horrific GM and a coach who can fit all of his coaching abilities inside his chin crater. They will slog through a 6-10 season and “be in the hunt until the last weekend” before drafting Christian Hackenberg. Maddening.

On top of that you get to watch Kubes and Wade destroy GB. When Phillips was here his defenses racked up numbers against the stiffs playing QB and routinely got torched by the upper crust. I guess this shows it’s not about X’s and O’s but it’s about Jimmys and Joes.

Fastback68
    Participant

Kudos to the police for moving a dozen wrecked cars to the emergency shoulder on 77N. Thousands of fans bailed at halftime. The remaining crowd generated a lot of noise. Ref induced comeback. Panthers hang in. Who knew the 4th down conversions on the first TD would be so crucial. A lifetime game memory shared with my son. Cheese heads up next. A nice reminder that football can be fun.

MrPlywood
    Participant

I hope the Packers can put on a better show this week and remove the Panthers from the unbeaten ranks.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Texans tied for first place!!!!!!!

This will be used as cover by ownership to keep a horrific GM and a coach who can fit all of his coaching abilities inside his chin crater. They will slog through a 6-10 season and “be in the hunt until the last weekend” before drafting Christian Hackenberg. Maddening.

On top of that you get to watch Kubes and Wade destroy GB. When Phillips was here his defenses racked up numbers against the stiffs playing QB and routinely got torched by the upper crust. I guess this shows it’s not about X’s and O’s but it’s about Jimmys and Joes.

It’s a little of BOTH. Jack Del Rio got middle of the pack performance out of this same group of defenders. But this group of players is PERFECT for Wade’s schemes and philosophy. Synchronicity in its best form.

http://doorfliesopen.com/index.php/2015/10/21/denver-broncos-at-the-bye-how-i-stopped-worrying-and-learned-to-love-wade-phillips/

(pardon the shameless self-promotion)

tjfoose1
    Participant

I don’t understand, Fox and Del Rio had four years to fix the bronco’s defense. As soon as they leave, Denver has the #1 defense.

Though terrible as a head coach, Phillips is the best DC in the NFL, and it’s a long way to 2nd. Just pulling from memory, but I can’t recall a stint were as DC he did not have one of the top D’s in the league.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Looks like the Panthers are a really good football team, despite what all the naysayers want to deny.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Impressive win by the Panthers, leading from start to finish. Cam with another monster game and is in MVP contention. They have the early track for homefield advantage in the NFC. 8-0 baby. Go Cats!

MrPlywood
    Participant

At least the Packers finally made it a game after looking out of sync on both sides of the ball. I’m actually happy that they were fighting on the sidelines, get some fire boys. Regroup and keep going.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Peyton and the Broncs fall in Indy. Your unbeatens are the Patriots, Bengals and Panthers.

Wulfpack
    Participant

The Chargers collapse and fall to the Bears on MNF. Only 9 games in and they are already toast (2nd worse record in the league behind Detroit). Sad state of affairs.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

Hate it for Phil. That was a really nice TD that was taken away b/c of the penalty, too. He’s not the fastest guy on the field, but he knows how to make good use of his legs. My man should have known that PR is not going to be taking off for the end zone.

Speaking of a team letting their QB down, the performance by the Redskins’ receiving corp was shameful. Not that they were necessarily going to win or anything, but there were so many dropped passes, I have to wonder if the Patriots greased the ball or created an inverse magnetic field surrounding the ball or something (I have no idea what that even means; I just watch too much Star Trek). They were allergic to the ball. And it wasn’t just a few guys, it was almost every receiver/tight end/running back. Hard passes, soft passes, long passes, short passes, it didn’t matter. Not that anyone but me cares about the Redskins. Happy for the Panthers, though. I also liked when Julius Peppers acted like a jerk.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.