DVR Alert – 87 ACCT Title Game

Home Forums StateFans Basketball DVR Alert – 87 ACCT Title Game

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    BJD95
    Keymaster

I caught the back end of the semifinal (2 OT win over Wake, poor Bob Staak) this morning. Flipping ahead, ESPN Classic is showing the 87 final win over the Holes at 4am Thursday night/Friday morning. Set your DVRs now.

Every time I see Deano shove the camera walking off the court, I giggle and give him the finger. Good times.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Vin-ny! Vin-ny! Vin-ny!

My freshman year. If I’m remembering correctly, the ’87 title gave us 10 total, tying us with u*nc for the most in conference. With Fire and Ice coming in the following year, the future looked bright. My, how times change.

Had I known it was going to be our last title for going on 27 years, I might have savored it just a bit more….

Wait, what?… $#@!% &%#@ 27 years!?! When I typed that out and it happened to sink in, I’m not sure which was more shocking. 27 years since our last title, or 27 years since my freshman year.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Yes, we tied the Fightin’ Asterisks with the 87 title.

It was also quite funny listening to Vitale spout about how beating the Holes would likely be “too much to ask” of the Wake/State winner. LMAO, still a douche then, just not so f-cking loud.

Texpack
    Participant

Valvano salvaged that season when he handed the keys to the offense to Quentin Jackson.

tjfoose1
    Participant

What? No love for Kenny Drummond? Talk about addition by subtraction…

Texpack
    Participant

I flew from Houston to Orlando during that game. I watched the selection show and found out that we had won before watching a late night replay that night on ESPN/ESPN2. I still have that game on VHS.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

What? No love for Kenny Drummond? Talk about addition by subtraction…

Didn’t he keep the ball out of Kenny Smith’s hands on the final play?

Like Tex, I also taped the ESPN replay. But I doubt that I could find that tape, even if my life depended on it.

Ransom
    Participant

Nope. Weems locked him down. Earned the scholly on that one.
    Brilliant call by Jackson and V.

tjfoose1
    Participant

V booted Drummond from the club in mid season and pulled Vinny off the bench to run the team. The rest is history.

Perhaps that is what’s been missing for the Wolfpack. Not enough Italians.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

^^Ransom nailed it – twas Kelsey Weems. I’ll never forget Weems’ defense on that possession and the subsequent reactions from our squad after they had won. Awesome.

Also agree that we need to go back to our Italian heritage.

44rules
    Participant

Vinny didn’t play because he was Italian. He played because V was Italian!

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

44rules
    Participant

And yes, I would love to see more defense reminiscent of what we had during the Kelsey Weems administration.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.