Dramatic Changes to Hillsborough Street

Home Forums All StateFansNation Dramatic Changes to Hillsborough Street

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

[See the full post at: Dramatic Changes to Hillsborough Street]

ryebread
    Participant

Nice to see and badly needed. Given the proximity to that many captive students and faculty, I’ve always been shocked at how little was happening on Hillsborough Street (over the past 25 years).

NCSU88
    Participant

Had more than one McDLT combos at the McDonalds in the Varsity Theatre building. Always thought that was a cool setting.

john of sparta
    Participant

our H-street resembles UNX-Franklin street.
    mainly a tourist trap. the internetS have deleted that.
    Hillsborough and Franklin need to be a DESTINATION
    with Abundant FREE Parking. no free park/no deal.
    students from NC can’t finance H-street anymore.

13OT
    Participant

Abundant free parking in Raleigh?

packfanatic100
    Participant

They talk a big game about revitalizing Hillsborough but refuse to allow the one thing that would be a huge draw. The Hillsborough St. group have railroaded at least three groups that wanted to establish music venues.

JohnGalt78
    Participant

No way am I eating anything that’s prepared in the space formerly occupied by the Varsity!

ryebread
    Participant

Had more than one McDLT combos at the McDonalds in the Varsity Theatre building. Always thought that was a cool setting.

I was at NC State when that McDonalds closed. I can remember it because it happened during a pretty bad series of snow/ice storms. The cafeteria was completely closed and I was living on campus. We walked to McDonalds one day and had lunch. We walked back up there the next day and it was closed. It never re-opened.

MP
    Participant

I used to hate going into that McDonalds!

44rules
    Participant

Haven’t been back in 4 years. But when I go, I’m going to miss Sadlack’s.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

No way am I eating anything that’s prepared in the space formerly occupied by the Varsity!

That made me chortle aloud.

I agree completely.

Adventuroo
    Participant

WOW,

Feel Ancient….but there are those that have more silver in their tresses. When I matriculated (63 – 68), it was the Baxley’s Tin Box on one corner and the Varsity Men’s Wear on the other corner. You bought your camel blazer there and slacks and tie to go to the FB games. You had your choice of which free emblem was sewn over the breast (hankie) pocket. FB games were sort of a dress up affair.

Right down the street from the Men’s wear was the Varsity Theater. It ran your average movies. Later on, after I left, the topless dancers invaded Hillsboro. If we wanted to see flesh and could not conjure up some “state workers” that wanted to party, then we had to go to the Zebulon Fair….THAT was a trip. We would often see some of our Prof’s out there, drinking from a flash and paying extra for the front row seats (or standing room) so they could “interact” with the dancers….

So, it changes again…..

Pack78
    Participant

^Roo-sounds like the Zebulon Fair resembled Old Crow Medicine Show’s ‘Wagon Wheel’ Video…

Texpack
    Participant

Mitch’s Tavern, Barry’s, Blimpie’s, Brothers, Baxley’s, Studio One, and only for my freshman year Edward’s Grocery.

Then Joab Thomas bought up all of the bars to encourage students to drink and drive rather than urinate in his front yard.

The best memories of Hillborough were of it blocked by RPD with bonfires blazing during the run to the championship in ’83.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Haven’t been back in 4 years. But when I go, I’m going to miss Sadlack’s.

F-ck and YES. The absence of Sadlack’s is enough to make me boycott entirely. I always remember going there on the first nice spring day. A couple bottles of cheap beer (usually Rolling Rock for me), people watching from the cement picnic table. Sometimes, peteavio would join. Sometimes, just by my recluse self. Good times.

Fastback68
    Participant

It opened during my time at State. We would go at closing time and hand the clean up crew $5. They would throw what was left of the fries and burgers in a bag and off we would go. My brother tells a story of going to see Josey Wales more than a decade earlier, the theater crowd exploded when Clint’s “this southern boy knows when he has been —-ed on” line was uttered. My State grad brother-in-law met my sister at Crazy Zack’s back in the day. Hillsborough still needs a lot of work but it is a 100X times better. Now about the Velvet Cloak…. good times.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.