Doeren Changing Offense?

Home Forums StateFans Football Doeren Changing Offense?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    tjfoose1
    Participant

Is this news to anyone else?

I came across the below in the article that noted Shirreffs was transferring. To me, the article buried the lead. Am I the only one thinking this?

Link

The team’s [Wolfpack’s] move from more of a fast-paced spread to a drop-back offense also played a role in his decision.

LRM
    Keymaster

Interesting. Think maybe Brissett isn’t suited for the spread, or is it just easier to recruit a traditional playbook?

BJD95
    Keymaster

I think Shirreffs was clearly not going to get playing time, have to think that’s the real reason. Hopefully this is “smoke” for the “fire” that Jacoby is a better passer than expected.

I’ve always been of the opinion that passing has to be a crucial element of your offense, to win at this level. Too little of it, and you get PJ’s recruiting classes in Atlanta.

That doesn’t necessarily have to be inconsistent with the spread.

Wufpacker
    Participant

I suppose the key is in the phrase “more of a”….as in how much more of a drop back offense are we talking?

Depends on what the definition of “is” is.

Are you beating your wife more than you used to?

The Magic 8 Ball makes me think BJD is probably correct with his “smoke/fire” analogy. It was no secret that Shirreffs was apparently fairly one dimensional, and even last year teams quickly learned what was likely coming when he was inserted.

Fastback68
    Participant

I have also seen two quotes where State is switching to the 4-2-5 defense which is easier to remember than TAFKAWBS.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

If the offense includes a QB this year, then this would certainly constitute a change.

Greywolf
    Participant

I think that DD is just giving our opponents something to think about. It’s more difficult and time consuming to prepare for both implied offences than just the one.

The unanswered question is simply this: is our O-line more adept at blocking for the drop-back passing game than for the spread? by adept I mean ability to get out in front on the spread. Chandler is certainly better suited physically for drop-back.

I guess we’ll know when we read it the paper or on the net since most seem to be staying home.

Greywolf
    Participant

Has Doeren changed Offensive Coordinators? That’s about the only way major college offenses get changed. Maybe he’s hired Dana Bible as a consultant. He’s as good a drop-back coach as there is available.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… few among us will disagree that our “offense” needs to change dramatically from what we saw, or more often — did not see, last season.

Who really cares or will whine about the details… as long as we average 100 yds rushing and 300 passing over the season && are on the plus side with ‘Time of Possession’ ???

Just win some damn games guys… that’s all I’m looking for….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Wulfpack
    Participant

It can’t be a good sign that the offense is being changed in just the 2nd year. But if it works out, I’m all for it.

pakfanistan
    Participant

It can’t be a good sign that the offense is being changed in just the 2nd year. But if it works out, I’m all for it.

The explanation I heard was the offense isn’t being changed, so much as it is the play calling being tailored to fit Brissett’s strengths.

Tuffy2
    Participant

He also could be simplifying the offense to lessen the self inflicted errors that played a part in stopping drives last year. Maybe he sees that Brissett gives the team a better option to win with this offensive set.

ryebread
    Participant

Maybe he realizes that up tempo only works when you have more talent (and really talented depth) than the other team? When you have less depth, all those extra plays and possessions that come with a quicker tempo cause you to run out of gas in the 4th quarter. I said this before the season last year, and in the preseason prediction threads suggested we’d see some blow outs or 5th quarter issues.

I noticed as the season went on, we lined up quickly to try to lock the defense into a positional group, but then took our time to actually snap the ball. The fans complained about “looking over to the sideline forever to get the read” but I think it was a conscious effort by the coaching staff to limit personnel swaps by the opposing defense, yet also give us a breather.

As “boring” as it is, the team with less talented depth needs to figure out how to run more clock in between every snap. The team with less talented depth, needs to figure out how to get plays off quicker, to let their superior athletes take over. Oregon (Nike + $$$$ both legitimately and not) recruits big, so they should go up tempo. We do not, so we should slow it down.

Teams like Alabama that recruit big and still slow it down don’t make sense to me. They’re the football equivalent to a top 10 recruiting basketball program playing the Princeton offense.

As much as I disliked TOB, he had it right when was at BC. He played the perfect tempo and style to match up with the level that he could recruit at. The most disappointing part of his tenure here is that he never developed the running game (and really the OL) needed to do the same thing.

ncsu1987
    Participant

If the offense includes a QB this year, then this would certainly constitute a change.

Literal spit take, literal LOL.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.