Directors Cup

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    GoldenChain
    Participant

OK so since the Capitol Broadcast Network mated with Learfield Sports I won’t call it what I used to call it but while on the road I got a USA Today and saw the standings and holy cow NCSU is 12th?! REALLY?! Only UVA is 11th and unx, who cheats, is 3rd (they own gal sports W-FH, W-SC). Hard to believe. They don’t even figure Rifle and Bass Fishing in those rankings!
    That’s ahead of Clemson, FSU, tOSU, Florida, ND, and ‘Bama.
    Than goodness for W-CC!

Greywolf
    Participant

Holy cow, Buck. If’n them folk would count men’s sports like hunting rifle and fishing, we’d be number one. Tain’t right.

McCallum
    Participant

She is consistent.

Same pattern at merryland.

McCallum

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Bad timing on this…
    just feeding the hungry wolves…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Greywolf
    Participant

She is consistent.

Same pattern at merryland.

Very smooth put down. The subtleness is outstanding.

I didn’t realize merryland was ranked in the top 25 when she left. Thanks for the info.

gso packbacker
    Participant

Even most curmudgeons fail to keep from admitting that this is slight progress over the Todd Turner and Lee Fowler days of yesteryear. 😉

While the end of the year standings may look a bit different, I’ll still take it.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Click to access Jan12DivIOverall.pdf

Holy and most sacred piles of putrid feces…..

Did you note that MERRYLAND is now #44. Interesting that PSU of Sexual Preditor fame is #7.

About that “Debbie, we need to talk about Coach Gottfied” meeting that many (and I admit to pushing that sputtering car in the parade) have been opining for.

I remember when she took the job, we were 8X or so (84?). When she broke the top 30, I thought we had peaked…..much like a George Soros bet on the Trump stock market….

Hats off to Debbie…..she has fulfilled SOME of her Hope and Change Promises. Now about the FB and MBB being top 25 programs….And Wes and the Ladies came home a little more sore in the posterior from Cuse….

We shall see…..what we won’t be allowed to see….

McCallum
    Participant

Here would be the question: the sports which have seen significant improvement, was the coaching hire a reach or a long term proven winner?

Men’s basketball and football hires were like a 4 year old grasping at the mini chocolate doughnuts on the third shelf.

With baited breath I await the “12th place Learfield Cup” t shirts, hats and coffee mugs.

McCallum

*psssst, most of this “success” requires finding a few wealthy people to endow a non revenue sport and flush it with cash”

PackofMac
    Participant

How’d you leave Wake Forest off at #2? Whole lotta talk firing our own guns forgetting about the smallest school in the ACC is #2. So considering that along with the fact numerous other ACC schools are ahead of us or at least in the rankings I’d say Debbie is about average.

Adventuroo
    Participant

PacofMac,
    If you follow the link I posted, WFU is #32.
    Maybe I googled the wrong standing….As it changed several times recently.
    Not saying either of us is wrong, so check out my link and correct if necessary.

Rick
    Keymaster

Let me get this straight, a woman had improved or titled sports while letting the men’s revenue sports slide into oblivion.

phcqmfd
    Participant

Since no one else has posted it I will

Great:
    Men’s swimming and diving – home run hire – we have not been this good since I graduated in 93
    Women swimming and diving – home run hire – we have not been this good since I graduated in 93
    Men’s wrestling – home run hire – don’t know if we ever have been this good

Good:
    Women’s bball – solid double hire – good recruiting, solid O and D. Got screwed last year for selection
    Softball – solid hire – need to expand on where we are

So-so:
    Football – hoping for the best but one more poor year and I’m done with Dave
    Basketball – hoping for the best – with this talent need to be elite 8 or time to cut bait

Poor
    Men’s soccer – already had to fire one guy she picked
    Volleyball – already on second coach – Bunn quit – jury still out on new gal

If the football hire or men’s bball hire had been like swimming or wrestling we would be rocking. But it was not. However is handling non-rev sports needs to pick the next men’s bball coach.

StateRed44
    Participant

There is more competition in the revenue sports. not as easy to succeed. No mystery.

13OT
    Participant

Basketball with this talent needs to be Elite 8 or time to cut bait?

Hell, we’re not in even the Elite 8 in the ACC anymore!

Heelh8r
    Participant

If you think the players on this team are top 8 in the nation, you either have not watched us play or have not watched anybody else play. If this team makes elite 8, GOTT will surely be national coach of the year. I am really tired of this subject, but just cannot let such an asinine statement, made over and over, go unanswered.

PackofMac
    Participant

Adventuroo I apologize, I googled some “other” ridiculous list. My bad

gso packbacker
    Participant

The coach hiring/firing is obviously a critical piece to the success and/or failure of all sports, but I think the thing that is missed in the larger conversation is that no matter how good the head coach is, they must be able to put together a group of coaches/staff that is also as good AND then get them to be able to work well together. I think we have seen this issue in our men’s revenue sports. 🙂

Take for example the women’s soccer program this year. Winless in ACC play in seemingly forever, they suddenly start winning like they haven’t done in 20 years. Look behind the scenes and you may find that a part of the difference was bringing on the former Miami coach who had a pretty successful program there before running into some serious trouble.

Bottom line is that no coach can do everything in this day and age so they better be able to be good at hiring a good staff and getting the most from them.

Greywolf
    Participant

Let me get this straight, a woman had improved or titled sports while letting the men’s revenue sports slide into oblivion.

A woman letting men’s revenue sports slide into oblivion? Football is a preseason top 25 predicted team. And where was basketball when MG took the reins?

Not biased against women are you Rick? Your post is a shameful display of chauvinism. Get real. Like it or not women today are succeeding in all areas of endeaver.

Greywolf
    Participant

There is more competition in the revenue sports. not as easy to succeed. No mystery.

Come on StateRed44. Nobody is interested in the reasons football and basketball are not doing as well as we want them to.

Glad you stepped up with this. I was going to say the same thing but I’m really shy and couldn’t take the DY haters blasting me for having the audacity to tell the truth about men’s revenue sports. Good on you.

4in12
    Participant

… a part of the difference was bringing on the former Miami coach …

Did she provide the bump in recruiting? There are a lot of underclassmen (underclasswomen?) get a lot of minutes.

4in12
    Participant

^getting

Rick
    Keymaster

A woman letting men’s revenue sports slide into oblivion? Football is a preseason top 25 predicted team. And where was basketball when MG took the reins?

Not biased against women are you Rick? Your post is a shameful display of chauvinism. Get real. Like it or not women today are succeeding in all areas of endeaver.

I call it like I see it. And its cute that you think a preseason prediction is some type of proof of anything.

StateRed44
    Participant

Come on StateRed44. Nobody is interested in the reasons football and basketball are not doing as well as we want them to.

Glad you stepped up with this. I was going to say the same thing but I’m really shy and couldn’t take the DY haters blasting me for having the audacity to tell the truth about men’s revenue sports. Good on you.

Grey,

That cuts both ways though. Not really much of an accomplishment if it’s easier to get the women’s and Olympic type sports good. The real meat and potatoes would be to get our revenue sports in the top 25. It takes timing, lots of luck, some mastery of the AD craft, and probably lots of hard work.

Overall, I’d give her an incomplete I guess. If I was forced to give her a letter grade, right now C+ sounds about right.

Greywolf
    Participant

I call it like I see it. And its cute that you think a preseason prediction is some type of proof of anything.

A prediction is NOT proof of anything but it is more substantial than the opinion of someone who by his own admission watched a full 30 minutes of Wolfpack football last season.

If you are going to call them like you see them, you might want to take the binders off.

Rick
    Keymaster

A prediction is NOT proof of anything but it is more substantial than the opinion of someone who by his own admission watched a full 30 minutes of Wolfpack football last season.

If you are going to call them like you see them, you might want to take the binders off.

I watched out bowl game so I tripled my NCSU football seeing.
    I stand by my statement, revenue sports are not in a good place and apparently the only refutation you have of that statement is a preseason prediction.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.