Devonte Graham will visit NC State

Home Forums All StateFansNation Devonte Graham will visit NC State

Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

I think the man can recruit.

I do as well. But I’m not so sure about his coaching yet. In fact, there is a whole lot of evidence/career body of work that it’s frankly quite average to slightly above average. It will certainly be telling which direction we go in the next couple of years. Not a spring chicken at State anymore.

Tau837
    Participant

Accomplishments are always better measuring sticks than subjective rankings.

It depends on what you are trying to measure. Recruiting rankings are certainly often wrong. But the fact remains that, while players are being recruited, rankings matter a lot. Rankings are a representative measure of how coaches see the talent level of the players being recruited. So successfully signing highly rated classes reflects well on a coaching staff’s ability to recruit.

If they don’t pan out, it could be because the coaching staff isn’t great at coaching. Or perhaps because they weren’t good at recognizing true talent, where it differed from the recruiting rankings, and thus recruited overranked players. Or perhaps because of injuries, off court issues, etc. Or maybe being recruited over by players who simply beat them out. Or perhaps because of chemistry issues, whether with coaches or players. Or maybe they got homesick, etc. Or maybe all of the above.

So on court results that were not great doesn’t mean a high recruiting class ranking wasn’t justified. *shrug*

BJD95
    Keymaster

I don’t think anyone disagrees that we need a good season in 2014-15. That will prove a lot, one way or the other.

revdmills7483
    Participant

When I looked up the rankings of those 3 classes, I saw a trend. It might just be data scatter or it might not. Let’s see if the 2015 class continues the trend or reverses it.

Bleacher Report rankings for 2012-2014 classes for us and our closest in-state rivals:
    2012- NCSU 9, UN* 5, DUKE 13
    2013- NCSU 14, UN* 12, DUKE 5
    2014- NCSU 16, UN* 3, DUKE 1

Hard to call three years a trend, but yes the classes are slightly lower each year. But, our closest in-state rivals also had off years in recruiting in the same span. I don’t think I heard the cheaters or dookies complaining about 12th & 13th, and we honestly shouldn’t even be in the top 20 with our performance over the last 25 years. Is Gott the second coming of V? Absolutely not, but there probably won’t really ever be a second coming of such a rare man. Is Gott a good coach who is making us better? Absolutely! To deny that would be ludicrous, not that I think you are denying it, but others are. Consistent top-20 classes are what it is going to take to take us to another level, and so far Gott has acheived that.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Consistent top-20 classes are what it is going to take to take us to another level, and so far Gott has acheived that.

It takes more than recruiting rankings. I’m not from MO, but so far I haven’t been shown enough to warrant boundless optimism.

pakfanistan
    Participant

I haven’t seen anyone post with boundless optimism in two years.

tractor57
    Participant

More like since the end of the Rein era.

revdmills7483
    Participant

VaWolf82, I don’t have boundless optimism either, and I don’t think we disagree too much. I just don’t put that much into the “trend” of #9, #14, #16. I’m much more concerned with the effort Gott gets from those players. That being said, I also think I have a little more optimism than many on here because I see improvement accross the board from recent years. Do I think we’ll win a title in the next couple of years? No. Did anyone think we would in 1983? No. This is purely anecdotal, but I can remember in 1987 a friend of mine who called himself a State fan saying if we didn’t beat UN* that year he would switch allegience because they had our number then just like they do now. I wonder if Jimmy V had coached in the era of SFN and forums, if we’d have been as kind to him as we are now.

Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.