Derrell Scott possible transfer to NC State

Home Forums StateFans Football Derrell Scott possible transfer to NC State

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

For those that need a reminder, Scott was one of the top high school recruits in the state of North Carolina last year from Havelock High School as a 4* running back ranked as one of the top 20 in his position in America. He ultimately chose Tennessee over NC State and South Carolina (and dozens of other top schools). He is just under six feet and about 195 pounds. His Havelock teams won three state championships while compiling a 58-5 overall record.

From what I am hearing behind the scenes this has merit. Ultimately, NC State could be landing one of the most amazing stable of skill players that one can imagine this year. I intentionally say ‘skill players’ because I am not going to lump them all into the ‘running back’ bucket since some of them could easily be moved to wide receiver and even linebacker and defensive back if ever appropriate.

Scott struggled with injuries this year at Tennessee and ultimately played in just two games — UT-Chattanooga and Ole Miss in back to back weeks in the middle of October.

StateFans
    Keymaster

From a logistical perspective, Scott may be out of luck in West Raleigh as NC State is getting VERY TIGHT on available scholarships to maintain compliance under the NCAA’s mandatory 85 scholarships. In addition to a couple of big commitments that we think are getting ready to become public in coming days…State is also gaining traction with a couple of linemen that would immediately serve to bolster quality and depth at important positions of need for us.

StateFans
    Keymaster

I am guessing that Nyheim Hines and Johnny Frasier in this year’s class are going to have ‘preference’ from NC State coaches with the available scholarships targeted for running backs/skilled positioned players…and, if one of them ultimately doesn’t come to State then there is room for Scott.

JackWolf
    Keymaster

By all accounts from the folks who know, this will not happen and coaches are pushing him to ECU. Scott wants to be close to home (and his girlfriend). ECU or even Wake Forest would be a good fit. It is really hard to imagine NC State having so much talent on the hook that there isn’t room for a 4-star RB such as Derrell Scott but that is the case at the moment.

nav
    Participant

I think ECU would be a better fit than Wake. Better fb school with a wide open offense to run with and be thrown to.

StateFans
    Keymaster

I don’t disagree with you guys at all…I just hate for ECU to have the chance to strengthen a relationship at Havelock High School — one of the state of North Carolina’s top football factories. I so wish Derrell would’ve made a better decision for himself coming out of high school last year!

JackWolf
    Keymaster

ECU is fairly well stacked at RB with Mangus transferring from VT there this year. Of course they would always find room for a guy of this talent.

Pack85EE
    Participant

Well, if Thornton is bolting early, that opens up a spot, and a large need, for a running back. This guy has a year of limited college experience. Should we really pass on him?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.