Decock: Swofford Endorses College Baseball Drafting Rules For Basketball

Home Forums All StateFansNation Decock: Swofford Endorses College Baseball Drafting Rules For Basketball

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

ACC commissioner John Swofford endorses baseball draft model for college basketball: turn pro out of HS or commit to three years in college.

I agree with this — get rid of the one-and-dones, let them play in the NBA like they really want to. For those who do decide to play college ball, they’d have to wait for the end of their junior year to be draft eligible.

Adventuroo
    Participant

OK,
    Who kidnapped Swoff and put this crazy person in charge of the ACC. I have made some jokes about the UNC/Swoff conspiracy. And sometimes it does look that way. Swoff is also so entwined with the AFAM (whom Dean Smith brought in from Kansas), that Dr. Ben Carson could not separate them.

BUT, if he is sincere and it would “calm down” the Gotsto Gets Z Bucks revolving door, than I will give him a tip of my hat and support and cut back (not all the way) on the jokes.

Why, just out of curiosity, doesn’t the NCAA adopt the Baseball policy for ALL Scholarship Sports that have Pro Teams or Leagues?

Sounds like a plan to me….

I did read the DeCock article….but can not find the video or the text of the Commish’s comments….

TheCOWDOG

Laugh my ass off. Figure why I am.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Laugh my ass off. Figure why I am.

Hmmmm, perhaps because this is a thinly veiled attempt to slow down the Coach K one and done championship juggernaut?

Adventuroo
    Participant

You boyz is WAY too paranoid…..Would Swoff have any ulterior motives?

Just out of curiosity…..has ANY OTHER Power 5 Commissh come out for overhauling….and it is easier to use something that appears to work….than design something from scratch.

The Baseball model sounds like a step in the right direction…..what is the chatter?

Adventuroo
    Participant

First….the SOURCE….

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/rs/video/15034508/

You can FF to the 11:10 mark. There is a change in the Combine rules. JS PERSONALLY supports the Baseball Model….but does NOT say that he is speaking as the Commish.

Feedback from some authoritative sources is that the NBA Players Association TOTALLY control the situation….and that the Baseball model has about as much or perhaps BETTER odds of being used in NCAA Basketball than us upsetting Clemson.

That is all the chatter that I have seen on this…..

Gowolves
    Participant

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/espn-s-acc-channel-still-in-limbo/15043414/

Swoffy is screwing the league again. This guy needs to resign now. This is not good. I hate to say it but Maryland might have been right getting out when they did.

redisgood
    Participant

I think the baseball model is worse than the current basketball model. An 18 year old kid gets one crack at deciding, then he has to wait until after his junior year in college? That’s borderline insane, and will make the problem even worse, because it is highly unlikely the majority of guys who aspire to the NBA will commit to 3 years of college. A whopping 5% of major league baseball players go the college route. This would erode the college game to the extent it would be like watching JUCO basketball. I say the commissioner isn’t thinking straight. This is backward rather than forward thinking.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

A whopping 5% of major league baseball players go the college route.

Baseball’s extensive minor league system makes a comparison to leaving for NBA meaningless.

Football players have to wait for three years after high school to go to the NFL. So there’s every reason to think that a similar system could work for BB.

redisgood
    Participant

Baseball does have an extensive minor league system. Basketball has the NBA D league and hundreds of very good professional teams around the world. Forget that football does not have an entry after high school option and the difference in physical requirements of a football vs. basketball player. College is the NFL’s D league. Go ahead and tell today’s top 100 basketball recruits they can either turn pro now or they have to sign up for three years of college and see what happens.

The NCAA Oversight Committee has put forward a much more reasonable and workable model. It will be voted on in a few months, and hopefully guys like Swofford will get outvoted and the recommendation will be adopted.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.