DA Considers Dropping Criminal Charge in UNC Fraud Case

Home Forums StateFans Non Sports Talk DA Considers Dropping Criminal Charge in UNC Fraud Case

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

CHAPEL HILL — Orange County District Attorney Jim Woodall said Monday that he is giving “serious consideration” to dropping a felony criminal fraud charge against the former department chairman at the center of a long-running academic scandal at UNC-Chapel Hill.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/06/24/5000378/orange-county-da-considers-dropping.html?sp=/99/115/141/

pakfanistan
    Participant

I’m shocked, SHOCKED(!) that the man who received both his bachelor’s and law degree from UNC is thinking about dropping the charges against one of the people responsible for UNC’s unprecedented success in athletics.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

I’m sure he’s been seriously considering it from the get-go.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Before anyone goes too far in ‘that’ direction….

Woodall said Julius Nyang’oro’s cooperation with a new probe led by former federal prosecutor Kenneth Wainstein has so far shown to be truthful and fruitful. Wainstein was hired by UNC-CH and the UNC system in February to try to get to the bottom of the scandal involving lecture-style classes that never met. The scandal goes back at least as far as the mid-1990s.

….just saying.

pakfanistan
    Participant

I’m convinced this scandal is going to be the death of the NCAA.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Well… if some charges are dropped… we should not be surprised if other charges are brought…
    as this would mean… Prof. N’rangoo is spilling the beans…

And… has anybody seen or heard anything from our man “Burley Mitchell”…
    Remember… he’s the Wolfpacker that started all this over in the Orange County courthouse…

Hey Burley! Time to make a few phone calls!!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    StateRed44
    Participant

I’m convinced this scandal is going to be the death of the NCAA.

It should be the death of the APR.

NCSU88
    Participant

I do not see how a felony criminal fraud charge can just be dropped by cooperating with an investigation that, as far as I can tell, has no avenue to press charges. Not a lawyer, but it just doesn’t seem right. Is there a precedent for this somewhere?

Pack78
    Participant

Can you say: “Trial balloon”?

^88-I’ve wondered the same…Woodall is an Officer of the Court, Wainstein is, apparently, an officer of the Ram’s Club…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.