Cuonzo Martin Bolts Tennessee for Cal

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Cuonzo Martin Bolts Tennessee for Cal

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

In the most deliciously ironic coaching carousel ride in some time, the University of Tennessee, both fan base and athletic department, somehow managed to get what they no longer wanted and exactly what they deserved.

Cuonzo Martin, the man they treated like a bad case of the flu for three years, essentially put his thumb to his nose, wiggled his fingers and said, “Stuff it.” He is off to the greener, more welcoming pastures of Cal while Tennessee is left with a bare cupboard, no coach and, worst of all, the coach it longed for now working down the SEC road at Auburn.

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

When I saw this my first thought was how long before someone makes the HS to ASU comparison. Never mind we had 10 years to reach a conclusion on HS. I hate this for UT and completely understand why Martin left; UT’s administration is a slow motion train wreck.

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

I see Frank Haith (formerly of the U) is leaving Mizzou for the basketball mecca that is Tulsa (Danny Manning’s former employer). Interesting. Pat Forde’s Yahoo story overtly implies the black coaches are leaving the SEC for lesser programs because of the way they are treated by fans/alum.
    I think it is likely much more complicated and complex to pin on one thing, but no doubt racism and bigotry would be a big part of it.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/frank-haith-merely-the-latest-african-american-coach-to-leave-sec-for-lesser-job-060826346.html

BJD95
    Keymaster

I don’t think that’s the case for Mizzou. He’s just underperformed there and is losing pretty much everyone.

The whole “petition” thing at UT sounds pretty sketchy. Having also seen 30 for 30s on Billy King and Cordredge Holliway…I’m sure things have changed, but I don’t gather Knoxville is a super place to be black.

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

BJD, I think you meant Bernard King; that Ernie and Bernie 30/30 paints a not so flattering picture of acceptance and tolerance in Knoxville, but that was 40 years ago and the same could be said of just about every town/city in the southeast at that time.
    A few bad apples in every fan base can certainly ruin it for everyone else.

BJD95
    Keymaster

^ Yep, I knew Billy didn’t sound right. I’ve been brain dead all week.

Times do certainly (and thankfully) change, at least everywhere but Smithfield. 😀

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.