"Confessions of a Herb Sendek Defender," Deja Vu for Wolfpack Fans

Home Forums All StateFansNation "Confessions of a Herb Sendek Defender," Deja Vu for Wolfpack Fans

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    James
    Participant

Arizona State lost to USC 67-64 in the PAC-12 Tournament last night. The fifth-seeded Sun Devils held a fourteen-point lead at nine minutes left and an eleven-point advantage under at the six minute mark. It did not matter. As ESPN relates, “nstead of folding, as everyone might have expected, the [twelfth-seeded] Trojans dug down for a comeback victory.”

Arizona State facilitated the comeback in patented Sendek form. After scoring with 9:05 left to go up 60-46, Arizona State did not score again until there was 4:12 remaining in the game. Arizona State made only one field goal in the remaining 9:05.

Is it any surprise Arizona State fans are questioning Sendek? As they eagerly wait for “seeds of greatness” to germinate on the basketball floor, their PAC-12 rivals push ahead. In this regard, “Confessions of a Herb Sendek Defender,” reads like it could have been written while the Sendek debates that divided the NC State fan base raged. After noting Sendek has won only one NCAA Tournament game in nine years in the desert, Vince Marotta delivers the following verdict:

All I’m saying is nine years is an adequate sample size. Using [Arizona State’s successful football coach] as an example, mediocrity shouldn’t be enough for a university that strives to be the biggest and best in the country.
    The men’s basketball team remains mediocre.
    You do the math.

This cannot be. After all, as we were constantly reminded in 2006 by the media, we had a gem on our hands. A legend in the making. Where are you now Mike Gminski? Where are you Greg Doyel? Where are you Jimmy Dykes? Where are you Mike Patrick?

I am grateful we are far beyond these debates now. Note that in just three years at NC State, Coach Gottfried has nearly matched Herb Sendek’s NCAA Tournament win total while at NC State.

WolftownVA81
    Participant

I read this after our loss to Duke. I feel a little better. Thanks.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

I read this after our loss to Duke. I feel a little better. Thanks.

Haha exactly. We can always kick around Herb after a beatdown 🙂

PackerInRussia
    Participant

Ha, that’s funny. That was a rough game to watch, but at least there’s Herb to make things feel better. “Where’s Herb? I need to let off some steam.”

BJD95
    Keymaster

Poor bastards. They have ample other distractions on that campus, though. So I can only feel a limited amount of sympathy.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Ten Years After…

The wounds are deep but time heals all…

Any one wonder if HWNSNBM still occasionally wakes up in the middle of the night, dreaming of his Team in red uniforms and in a cold sweat, thinks to himself..
    “Those A%%holes might have been right…”?

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    wufpup76
    Keymaster

They have ample other distractions on that campus, though.

What ever could you mean?

StateRed44
    Participant

^um, no thanks

Wufpacker
    Participant

I didn’t go out of my way to regularly bike thru that campus for nuthin’.

StateFans
    Keymaster

Oddly, it feels like Mark Gottfried might be a perfect candidate for their future job opening. 🙂

Fastback68
    Participant

^Did you see Tosh.0’s interviews on campus?

Fastback68
    Participant

They have ample other distractions on that campus, though.

What ever could you mean?

Reverse Devil

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.