College football is alienating its fans

Home Forums StateFans Football College football is alienating its fans

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Rick
    Keymaster

I’ve come to believe it’s not scandal that will bring down college athletics, but greed. How long can these numbers, fueled by increasingly unhappy fans, continue to skyrocket before they come crashing down to earth?

ADs need to think this through. Games cost too much and when a team sucks who wants to watch it?

TheCOWDOG

How long? For as long as HDTV, followed by the HD Hologram.

Gone are stadium expansion days. Non-rev sport schols are next on the chopping block.

Attendances are down interest has never been higher.

ADs are absolutely trying to figure out how to fill those last 10,000 seats, and I suspect cost of attendence will stabalize.

There are tones that the new Power 5 will eventually consolidate into a Power 4, and college ball will re-regionalize.

You’re right, though. Scandal has nothin’ to do with nothin’. Scandal has been in the game since Teddy Roosevelt.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^… and if you’re thinking Cable… you’re a dinosaur…
    90% of it will be WIRELESS in five years or less…

If you ever took a transistor radio to a stadium… you’ll understand what I’m seeing… the upside for growth in Media Revenues far exceeds that of ticket sales..

RE: ticket prices…

1. Watch total revenues… not ticket prices….
    As total revenues go up from Media (see above) — ticket prices should come down as long as there is a minimum net Total Revenue increase each year.

2. Offical School ticket prices ain’t really ticket prices…

Schools ‘wholesale’ tickets to loyal fans who have paid for ticket rights…
    Loyal Fans “may” resell tickets….
    Schools wholesale ‘unsold’ ticket blocks to StubHub or TicketMaster at deep discounts…

At that point 100% of the ‘revenue risk’ in ticket sales for schools has been “sold” to willing buyers…

As of a couple weeks ago… there are now over ONE MILLION people living in Wake County…

At this point… Ticket Revenue Risk is simply a function of “how good your team is…” and “who your opponent is…”
    nothing more, nothing less…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    BJD95
    Keymaster

It’s becoming more like the NFL, in that it’s TV-driven, not attendance-driven. Now that old age and life circumstances have made me a “TV fan” I guess I’m ok with it. As long as it’s part of a transition to centralized scheduling and expanded playoffs…I’m all for it. Tradeoff is worth it.

College football is following the NFL model because the NFL is the most profitable sports league known to man. Because it complements the NFL schedule, it doesn’t need to be THAT separate in feel.

Wanna do something really cool? Have a 64-team “college NFL” with divisions and centralized scheduling. But also mix in the European soccer “promotion and relegation” concept. In addition to the “good” 16-team playoff, you could have a “bad” bracket to determine who gets relegated.

Greywolf
    Participant

Wanna do something really cool? Have a 64-team “college NFL” with divisions and centralized scheduling. But also mix in the European soccer “promotion and relegation” concept. In addition to the “good” 16-team playoff, you could have a “bad” bracket to determine who gets relegated.

promotion and relegation is makes the idea manageable. The down side is Swoffy would find a way for the holes to avoid relegation no matter what.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Now that old age…

-snip all relevant context-
    Since I’m ~decade older than you, I’m pretty sure I’ve just been insulted.

-back to the actual topic-
    In the end, the bottom line profits/losses will determine the fate of big-time college athletics and which schools can afford to play. Several semi-random thoughts:

The dirty little details that have yet to be worked out about stipends for athletes will go a long way towards determining who can afford a seat at the big-guys table. How much per month? How many sports? etc

If the Title IX hammer is used to force a stipend for all college athletes, then CD’s prediction about non-revenue sports will happen sooner rather than later for most schools.

If the stands are full for a game vs the Sisters of the Poor pickup team, then you’re probably not charging enough for the tickets.

As long as the revenues balance the expenses, then little will change.

What matters is not butts in seats, it’s ticket sales. Note that State has had to resort to selling mini-packs the last several years after selling out the stadium through season tickets for a good while during the Amato/early TOB years. How far will the interest drop? At what point does the TV money no longer offset the loss in ticket sales?

highstick
    Participant

Hmm…South Carolina-Jawja is a sell out and I heard that Jawja tickets were only sold to their season ticket holders…Hopefully that weeds out a little of the “liquor throwing” from the leg humpers, but probably not. I’ll willingly come home smelling like a bottle of rot gut bourbon to send a bunch of barking fat guys home early! I just don’t want a cop to stop me on the way home…

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

PackerInRussia
    Participant

promotion and relegation is makes the idea manageable. The down side is Swoffy would find a way for the holes to avoid relegation no matter what.

Just add in a reality-show element. One team each year gets “immunity” from relegation.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.