Chargers choosing a QB?

Home Forums StateFans Football Chargers choosing a QB?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

Tau837
    Participant

That would be the dumbest move possible. I am not a Telesco fan, but I think he is smarter than that. No chance IMO.

Texpack
    Participant

It depends on what San Diego can get for Rivers. If they can get a second round pick they should trade him. Next year is lost with it being a purgatory year. The smart thing to do is to take their lumps with a rookie QB before they move to LA.

Tau837
    Participant

^There is zero chance they will trade him, for a few reasons:

1. They just signed him to a four year extension about six months ago. To trade or release him this offseason, the Chargers would take a cap hit of $18M.

2. They would have no one to play QB and would be stuck gambling on a draft pick and/or a journeyman. This year’s draft is weak at QB. McCoy and Telesco are on the hot seat, they need to win games.

3. Rivers is one of the greatest Chargers of all-time, right up there with Fouts, Tomlinson, Seau, Gates, and Alworth. He is the face of the franchise. The organization justifiably wants him to retire as a Charger, and that’s what will happen.

Furthermore, since it seemed to be part of your rationale, I don’t think the Chargers are going to move to LA. I live in San Diego and have followed this saga pretty closely. It is in Spanos’s interest to work out a deal to stay in San Diego rather than be Kroenke’s tenant in LA, and I think that is what will happen.

FergusWolf
    Participant

I agree that they won’t trade him, but that doesn’t mean they won’t pick up a promising looking 2nd or 3rd round QB. Remember ( and I know things have changed a lot since then), Rivers sat on the bench for a season at the beginning of his career, behind Drew Breeze, it probably did him a lot of good to get used to pro football, the chargers, the system, etc…

Philip may have a 4 year extension, but he hasn’t been without his injuries the past few years. Why not start grooming the next franchise quarterback. It worked with Aaron Rogers…

Tau837
    Participant

The Rivers-Brees and Rodgers-Favre situations were exceptions that are very unlikely to be repeated. Also note that Rivers was drafted because Brees had played badly up to that point, and the team expected Rivers to start over Brees.

It may make sense to draft the next Chargers QB in another two years, but not now. Right now, the Chargers plan to have Rivers starting for the next four seasons. Drafting a rookie QB this year means his rookie contract would be played out before he would expect to start.

Furthermore, the team is riddled with needs. They need their second and third round picks this year to be starters.

Again, the GM and coaching staff have to win games now or they stand to be fired. They are not and should not be focused on preparing the team for 4+ years from now.

LRM
    Keymaster

I’d rather see Philip retire now than ever take another snap for the Chargers — a franchise that should be criminally indicted for wasting his greatness.

Philip’s entire college and pro career can be summed up succinctly: he has deserved better.

66pack
    Participant

Manning retires and Rivers to Denver.

Tau837
    Participant

Manning retires and Rivers to Denver.

See my first post above. Rivers is going nowhere.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.