Cat Goes Undrafted

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Cat Goes Undrafted

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

60 picks are in, and unfortunately Cat was left out of the fold.

BassPacker
    Participant

Feel like Cat will get an opportunity to play with a team in next round. Interesting that Cat was projected a second round pick while Marcus Paige was projected to not even be drafted and was taken in the first round.

Rick
    Keymaster

Feel like Cat will get an opportunity to play with a team in next round. Interesting that Cat was projected a second round pick while Marcus Paige was projected to not even be drafted and was taken in the first round.

Connections. I am not sure if coming back would have helped Cat.
    Do other schools have so many players leave early and not get drafted?

Wulfpack
    Participant

Do other schools have so many players leave early and not get drafted?

Would love to see the numbers on that.

Continued to be amazed at how many foreign/Euros are taken. The world is definitely catching up.

D Wolf
    Participant

Paige didn’t go first round. He went late second round; #55 out of 60 total picks.

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

Interesting that Cat was projected a second round pick while Marcus Paige was projected to not even be drafted and was taken in the first round.

Recency bias. And Paige was taken at the end of the 2nd round.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Combined with British ignoramuses crawling out from their holes to blow up the economy (or at least my 401k), yesterday can just kiss my honkified rear end.

STAY STRONG, Cat. We will pull for you in Europe, and you can make plenty of money for your little one.

Wulfpack
    Participant

10 point guards were selected, including Paige and Demetrius Jackson from Notre Dame. Brogdon is considered a shooting guard for the Bucks (36th pick).

The top PG selected was Kris Dunn from Providence, who is going to be a stud for Minny. Watch out for the TWolves.

The Suns took a foreign PF (Dragan Bender) from Croatia with the 4th pick. I believe Warren is a small forward, so hopefully won’t impact his PT.

Pack78
    Participant
    WallyB
    Participant

My wife and I stayed up to watch the end of the draft last night. I hoped Cat would go at 54 to Atlanta. When they picked another PG and then Paige was taken at 55, let’s just say I was upset. Stupid Marcus Paige.

I hope Cat makes it as a Pelican.

MP
    Participant

Cat Goes Undrafted

This is a clear sign that Gott is a substandard coach and even worse human being.

Thompson44
    Participant

Under Gott how many players have left early only to not be drafted, or get drafted and not play in the NBA.

Right now Brown is playing, and Warren is playing but none of the others. Who is giving these kids advice.

They should have all stuck around.

ncsu1987
    Participant

They should have all stuck around.

The new eval rules (taken advantage of by Anya and Abu) enable the players to get very good advice from people very close to real decision makers in the NBA. Over time, this will have a very positive effect, providing good information to players trying to make good decisions. Both Anya and Abu returned based on their evals.

Barber’s situation is different – he determined that he was leaving in order to support his family, regardless of where he eventually lands. Although he has signed a contingent contract with the Pelicans, there is still a strong possibility that he will land somewhere international. He made the decision that was right for him and his family. All the best to him.

I agree that some past players have made what appear to be questionable decisions, but I also recognize that every situation is unique. I am keenly aware that there are always factors at work that I’m not aware of, particular to each circumstance. Painting with broad brushes is potentially misleading.

freshmanin83
    Participant

After a jolt Cat lands on his feet, as would be expected.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Giglio wrote “One of the main questions about Barber before the draft was: Does he make the players around him better? N.C. State’s lack of team success, with Barber as the leader, might have been held against him. Of the 11 point guards taken in the draft who played college basketball, nine led their team to the NCAA tournament last season.”

This thinking bugs me. He led State to a win over LSU and the #1 draft pick, who led his team nowhere. The Euro guys are judged more on individual ability and athleticism. Somehow Barber bears responsibility for the team? Get out. Prove them wrong Cat!

Wulfpack
    Participant

He didn’t exactly land on his feet. Not getting drafted is a blow. He can still make the team but won’t be easy. Could take some time.

pakfanistan
    Participant

This thinking bugs me. He led State to a win over LSU and the #1 draft pick, who led his team nowhere. The Euro guys are judged more on individual ability and athleticism. Somehow Barber bears responsibility for the team? Get out. Prove them wrong Cat!

No doubt. Cat would have had 30 ppg and 15 apg if anybody else on the team could have scored consistently.

Some of the rumors and speculation hat went around predraft kind of made me go hmmmmm. Especially the one about Cat being afraid to compete against a freshman. Made me wonder if someone out there is harboring a vicious grudge against the big Cat and spreading disinformation.

Tau837
    Participant

I still think Cat will play many years in the NBA.

13OT
    Participant

I think the pattern of undrafted NC State players, many who are just as good or better than UNC and other ACC players who are drafted, shows the lack of respect the NBA scouts have had for our program.

I see most of the top players drafted on the basis of potential talent, like the typical players from Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville and a few other schools. When you get deep into the second round, players who don’t have as much talent but do have skills work their way in, mainly the Europeans. The Pack seldom lands a player with First Round talent, and apparently the NBA doesn’t think “marginal” players, like Cat, have the necessary skills to make it. I don’t agree that Cat fits this mold, but that’s the way I think the NBA sees it.

As said before, until we get an AD who gets it about what it’ll take to return to ACC relevance, the same ole same ole will continue for us. Apparently we have a boatload of young and somewhat talented players coming in next season, but somehow I see us still struggling just to get into the upper half of the ACC. And with Lutz gone, that’s a more likely scenario.

I absolutely guarantee that we will finish lower than in pre-season projections.

freshmanin83
    Participant

So I guess we disagree about Cat landing on his feet. I think he did. The jolt was him not being picked in the draft. He still has a chance to make a team and it will depend on his skill. If he makes the team even if it takes a while would be landing on his feet. If he plays overseas and takes care of his family then he landed on his feet imo.

wolfmanmat
    Participant

Cat is a good player and deserved to be drafted by late second round. However, to say this is a knock on NC State’s program is not accurate. The NBA doesnt care what school you go to- they care if you can play, if you cant play yet do you have huge potential, if you can handle the media and pressure, if you can increase their fan base. When NC State produces a player who does this, they will be drafted. But so far, we have not since really Gugs or Hickson. Part of the problem of being irrelevant for 20+ years is that you dont get great talent or the talent you get has some big flaws. We will see where DSJ and Omer go next year, because they have the talent.

Rick
    Keymaster
    Wulfpack
    Participant

In next year’s draft, Smith is projected to go 8th and Yurtseven 13th.

StateRed44
    Participant

Not surprised. Hope he gets a shot.

Gowolves
    Participant

I think the pattern of undrafted NC State players, many who are just as good or better than UNC and other ACC players who are drafted, shows the lack of respect the NBA scouts have had for our program.

I see most of the top players drafted on the basis of potential talent, like the typical players from Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville and a few other schools. When you get deep into the second round, players who don’t have as much talent but do have skills work their way in, mainly the Europeans. The Pack seldom lands a player with First Round talent, and apparently the NBA doesn’t think “marginal” players, like Cat, have the necessary skills to make it. I don’t agree that Cat fits this mold, but that’s the way I think the NBA sees it.

As said before, until we get an AD who gets it about what it’ll take to return to ACC relevance, the same ole same ole will continue for us. Apparently we have a boatload of young and somewhat talented players coming in next season, but somehow I see us still struggling just to get into the upper half of the ACC. And with Lutz gone, that’s a more likely scenario.

I absolutely guarantee that we will finish lower than in pre-season projections.

I just want to make sure I don’t forget this guarantee. I am heading to Vegas next week and this is the surest thing I have come across. I will put several Franklin’s on this projection. If you are not right I am going to be very disappointed that I ever trusted your word.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.